Trauma rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Char

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in need of a good trauma rotation. I would like one where the ED resident is not treated like a second class citizen and is actually part of the team (ie: gets to assist with procedures, can run the show from time to time). I will pretty much travel anywhere for a good rotation.

Members don't see this ad.

Ryder Trauma center in miami. BEST

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that is an amazing Trauma center with tons of volume. Wouldn't they have to have a residency program for the OP to go there?

Nah. They have an affiliated medical school. That opens up pretty much any department for rotators.

Plus, the Mt. Sinai EM program in Miami Beach uses the Ryder Trauma Center for their trauma rotation.

Nah. They have an affiliated medical school. That opens up pretty much any department for rotators.

Plus, the Mt. Sinai EM program in Miami Beach uses the Ryder Trauma Center for their trauma rotation.

So ED residents can rotate at any center that is affiliated with a medical school even if that school doesn't have residency in that departement? Didn't know that. Also does it matter Miami Beach is a DO residency, are their rules different from Allopathic? Just filling in the blanks here. Thanks.

So ED residents can rotate at any center that is affiliated with a medical school even if that school doesn't have residency in that departement? Didn't know that. Also does it matter Miami Beach is a DO residency, are their rules different from Allopathic? Just filling in the blanks here. Thanks.

Well, ok, that's my fault for creating confusion. I thought the OP was a medical student looking for a trauma rotation, not a resident (I skimmed), and as such my comment was geared in that direction. Med students can go pretty much anywhere because there's not much in the way of credentialling (which is still pretty minimal for residents when compared to attendings), and temporary licensure. For residents there would still need to be an affiliation agreement between your program and wherever you go, agreements on who will cover the liability, and so forth. And that might take quite a while to get into place.

To the OP: does your program not offer trauma? or is it weak? I guess I'm wondering why you're looking to go elsewhere for that rotation.

We just lost our affliation with our current trauma center and have affliated with another center...but, it's a pretty weak rotation as it stands (currently receives very little trauma). My program director, gave the go ahead to attempt to find a better rotation and I thought what better place to look then SDN. I appreciate the replies so far.

Well, ok, that's my fault for creating confusion. I thought the OP was a medical student looking for a trauma rotation, not a resident (I skimmed), and as such my comment was geared in that direction. Med students can go pretty much anywhere because there's not much in the way of credentialling (which is still pretty minimal for residents when compared to attendings), and temporary licensure. For residents there would still need to be an affiliation agreement between your program and wherever you go, agreements on who will cover the liability, and so forth. And that might take quite a while to get into place.

To the OP: does your program not offer trauma? or is it weak? I guess I'm wondering why you're looking to go elsewhere for that rotation.

That's what I thought, thanks for clarifying. To the OP I would imagine any major level 1 trauma center will give you a decent amount of expsosure to critically ill patients, key is finding one where the ED team runs it and only calls Surgery if it is needed. Maybe you can pick some bigger programs call and ask the PD how it's ran. Then make a decision, i'm sure there are plenty of spots you could go. Best of luck.

The St. Luke's-Roosevelt residents rotate there. You will need a couple of things: make sure your program will allow you to rotate away (there can be tricky GME funding issues). Then you will need to contact Ryder and see if they have space. You will also need a temporary Fl liscence. This is doable, but it involves a LOT of planning.