Trauma Surgery lifestyle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Elective gallbladders, lumps and bumps, hernias, sigmoids, some breast, and the occasional hemicolectomy. One of the community guys I worked with also had a steady referral of thyroids. With that said though about 30-40% of their patient load was acute GS (typically perfed tics and SBO). These guys run the only general surgery show at that hospital though so everything goes through them.

As an aside, this inevitably led to the private FPs dumping a crap ton of "acute care surgery", AKA "we just want you on board"/"I didn't want to come in to see my new pt with abdominal pain so I'll call the surgical resident in house to work it up" consults onto the service daily. I understand now that this is a pretty common nationwide occurrence but it was totally new for me as a resident and extremely aggravating as it basically cost them nothing to call in the CYA consult but ended up doubling our workload.

At our university hospital, trauma does all the acute general surgery and little elective. From everything that everyone else has posted that seems to be more and more the trend these days. This was the same at my medical school - we had relatively little trauma but all the acute general surgery stuff that rolled in through the ER and r/o acute abdomen consults kept that service hopping.

neb

Right, thx for clarifying

Members don't see this ad.

I'm finishing up a critical care fellowship and took an "acute care surgery job". My responsibilities will be mainly trauma call and acute general surgery. I have the option of doing as much general surgery (elective) as I want, and will probably do quite a bit at first, mainly to get more time in the OR. I'll also be doing some clinical research (trauma based). Lifestyle wise, I'll be taking 24 hour shifts when on call (around 1/7), and a week of SICU at a time (day shift only)...

that being said, while interviewing and from talking to people, there is no set "acute surgery" lifestyle -- it all depends on where you practice, how many partners you have, private vs. academics, etc...I think it's a great career choice, but I was always one of the weird ones who loved both trauma and the SICU.

I also looked at ACS fellowships, but felt that I had gotten enough trauma training during my GS years (at a pretty busy trauma center)

HTH