Salary - Trauma Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjhipster12

Reaction score
Hello

Anyone know the starting salary for trauma surgeon at Kaiser northern CA?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

That's weirdly specific and the answer is probably no, no one here will know that and it will vary based on the current year, the supply/demand, and any existing openings and need.

Academic trauma starts sub 300k+productivity. Its pathetically low. Non-academic trauma probably starts at 400k+productivity. Higher in more rural places, lower in more densely populated cities. Source is my co-chief in trauma as I try to recruit him from his **** academic job to my rural-ish non-academic hospital system. Can certainly get up to 600k over time. Not sure about going higher than that - trauma gets soft capped by being shift-based so you get paid whatever the volume is for the shifts which, when averaged, is pretty static over a year. But many trauma surgery services give each attending one week of bull**** time that you can use to run a normal general surgery elective practice if you so choose where you can increase your productivity (and paycheck) a fair amount.

Private practice groups also usually allow call sharing/taking additional call nights and getting paid a stipend, usually 1k to 1.5k a night.

Reactions: 2 users
That's weirdly specific and the answer is probably no, no one here will know that and it will vary based on the current year, the supply/demand, and any existing openings and need.

Academic trauma starts sub 300k+productivity. Its pathetically low. Non-academic trauma probably starts at 400k+productivity. Higher in more rural places, lower in more densely populated cities. Source is my co-chief in trauma as I try to recruit him from his **** academic job to my rural-ish non-academic hospital system. Can certainly get up to 600k over time. Not sure about going higher than that - trauma gets soft capped by being shift-based so you get paid whatever the volume is for the shifts which, when averaged, is pretty static over a year. But many trauma surgery services give each attending one week of bull**** time that you can use to run a normal general surgery elective practice if you so choose where you can increase your productivity (and paycheck) a fair amount.

Private practice groups also usually allow call sharing/taking additional call nights and getting paid a stipend, usually 1k to 1.5k a night.
I'll second everything mentioned above. My co-resident is now going back to where we did our residency as a trauma/acs surgeon and salary is right around $400Ks. Not sure how the elective general surgery stuff gets divvied up, but when I was there for training, most of what they did was disaster ACS stuff while the general surgery services did all of the elective stuff. But now she has access to an army of residents and APPs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t work for Kaiser, but I did interview there back in the day. I do know that Kaiser works a bit differently in many ways, salary included. They’ll have a base salary for the specialty that is then stratified based upon how many years of experience post-residency you have under your belt. And there are only three (or four?) levels of pay. I couldn’t tell you what they pay a trauma surgeon, but if there were a Kaiser trauma surgeon on here I imagine they could. There’s no productivity/incentive pay. Unless they pay their trauma surgeons differently than they pay everyone else, which I doubt.
They also tend to include their own distribution into your retirement portfolio along with what they tel you they’re paying you. Which is correct, but only technically correct.

TPMG doesn't really hide their salaries since it's all on a well known scale which is based on years in practice. You probably could just email one of the TPMG recruiters and ask.

My guestimate would be ~380k + ~200k worth of benefits (occurrence based malpractice, fully paid premiums for med/dental, 401k, pension, 1 month paid vacation).