Trauma Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the military have fellowships in trauma, or do they allow you to do civilian ones? I really like USUHS, but I want to become a trauma surgeon. Is there a way to get this kind of training through the military, or would I just be screwing myself over for that kind of opportunity?

- Quid

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I don't know the specifics of trauma surgery in the military, but I know a couple of the trauma surgeons at my university were trained in the military. One them actually just got back from being called up from the reserves.

Keep in mind though, most people change their minds about what they want to do during medical school, so don't pick your medical school soley based on what you're currently interested in. Trauma surgery isn't that popular these days b/c the life-style is one of the worst, the pay isn't great, you have to rotate on general surgery services just to maintain licensing in most surgeries b/c you won't do enough at the trauma unit (no matter how busy), and they have very high malpractice rates. Although, I have to admit that it's a pretty cool field! It's a great feeling when someone comes in with internal bleeding and you're able to stop it and save their lives.

-Andrew

The military sends people to civilian trauma fellowships after their general surgery residencies, and for obvious reasons favors trauma training. Don't let that keep you out of the military. they could always use another trauma surgeon. Those surgeons who are trauma trained are given time to practice at a trauma center to keep their skills up, as the military hospitals are rarely trauma-intensive.
DD

Members don't see this ad :)
Aren't military surgeons free from malpractice concerns?

Aren't military surgeons free from malpractice concerns?

This is a common misperception about the military. For this question, there are 2 answers
1. For active duty personnel and dependents, we can be sued for gross negligence and harm like any other physician. The difference is that you must sue the Navy (or whichever branch), which is very difficult. Large headaches, UCMJ, military courts. etc. I think it boils down to fewer lawyers are willing to take on a case against the gov't because the lottery mentality of the usual civilian suit doesn't apply. As a physician, you would be defended by the JAG corps, and the gov't would pay the fines so you don't have to maintain malpractice insurance. We do not, however, have a license to kill without oversight. In fact, we're looked at quite closely with periodic reviews, probably much more than civilians.
2. If you see civilians, non-DOD, than you are just like any other Doctor and need malpractice coverage. The surgeons practicing in a trauma center are being paid to see those patients, essentially they are moonlighting and are on there own. This is one of the biggest reasons I don't moonlight, I simply don't want to be chased by some hungry lawyer and a former patient.
DD

Originally posted by Navy Dive Doc
We do not, however, have a license to kill without oversight.

So it is with oversight? ;)

I just worked overnight, so maybe that's why, but that line made me laugh out loud. "License to kill" - now that's what I call funny! Especially without oversight.

Someone told me that, once, way back - that, if you are a service doc, treating service members, you functionally can't get sued, no matter what you do. It's only logical to have internal oversight of the operations.

I think a few inerns have used their license to kill while being overseen, but I don't think that's just the miltary...I guess the oversight thing was a bit redundant. Glad I could supply a good laugh.

You are right that it would need to be a VERY significant lapse in the standard of care before an active duty member could sue for malpractice, so essentially we are insulated from lawsuits. It's a nice practice environment, I can do what's right for the patient but not order every test under the sun to cover my ass for legal protection.

Dependents have more right to sue, but still what I said before applies.

DD

BAMC in San Antonio has a critical care surgery fellowship which is coordinated with University hopital. Go to trauma.org to see the descriptions of Critical care, Trauma, and Critical Care/Trauma Fellowship. A critical Care fellowship envlolves tons of Trauma.

i can't speak for the Navy and Air force, but for the army, go to this link

http://www.mods.army.mil/medicaleducation/userlogon/GmeDelay.asp

About in the middle of this page is a link for their residencies and fellowships.

The fellowship link seems a little odd to me. It appears as if most of the army fellowships are at Wally Reed and San Antonio. But I could swear much more was available, especially at Madigan. But oh well, this is what they at least provide.