Feasibility of shoulder surgery before DCC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fried Plantaris

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Found out I have a torn labrum. Have actually had it for awhile but my shoulder has gotten more unstable in the past year. Upcoming DCC in either June or July (more likely) of 2021. The timing is better if I get the surgery soon, because of winter, step 1 study, and a brief dedicated research period, but it also is less than a year from DCC and possibly won't be 100% before then. Alternatively I could wait until after DCC, and have it done. Only thing is my shoulder would be needing rehab while starting clinicals.

Also does one need to talk this over with command before proceeding? Does it need to be reported if I got it done and recovered in time for DCC?

Members don't see this ad.

Found out I have a torn labrum. Have actually had it for awhile but my shoulder has gotten more unstable in the past year. Upcoming DCC in either June or July (more likely) of 2021. The timing is better if I get the surgery soon, because of winter, step 1 study, and a brief dedicated research period, but it also is less than a year from DCC and possibly won't be 100% before then. Alternatively I could wait until after DCC, and have it done. Only thing is my shoulder would be needing rehab while starting clinicals.

Also does one need to talk this over with command before proceeding? Does it need to be reported if I got it done and recovered in time for DCC?
Yes you need to report it. If you did not report this as part of your accession physical ensure you report this new injury. Tell them again when you have surgery and released to full activity. Deal with your medical issue on that timeline not on the military training timeline. If you get it done now you have a chance for DCC next summer but if you wait you risk BOLC interfering with residency start date.

Unfortunately because I don't want to delay my residency start date the only way to complete the training on time is to do DCC this summer. Which means putting off the surgery if necessary. Anyway I'll just consult with my dr. about the timing. Thanks anyways

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately because I don't want to delay my residency start date the only way to complete the training on time is to do DCC this summer. Which means putting off the surgery if necessary. Anyway I'll just consult with my dr. about the timing. Thanks anyways
Bad news doesn't get better with time. Bad news is even worse if it indicates a history of 'ommission'. Communicate with your HPSP 'advisor' and update your medical status/history. Good luck doing the ACFT at DCC, even if it's diagnostic, with a bad shoulder. You've got 8+ months until DCC. Surgery on any timeline (before DCC or BOLC) might cause a delay to your residency start date - plenty start late. They are unlikely to separate you for a 'corrected' shoulder injury.

Get your surgery now and let them know. DCC can wait if it has too. It was not that physically demanding (the ACFT might be tough if you're not 100%). The ruck march shouldn't be bad. Really the PT we did most days was more running than anything else. The most physically demanding things we did for upper body were rucking and ACFT.

Take care of you. Let them know what is going on. Hopefully be good to go for DCC on the timeline you have set.