trauma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnthestreak

master of disaster
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how many months of trauma do you guys do at your program?
i think that we do way too many (3 - not including a surgery month)

Members don't see this ad.

We do one month of Trauma as an intern. Do a STICU month as an 2nd yr. (don't respond to traumas). Trauma airways as 2nd yr. in ED. Run traumas if choose to as 2nd/3rd yr. in conjunction with Trauma Surg.

Some might say this isn't enough. Having done trauma rotations as a med student and having already done my trauma rotation as an intern; I feel more than comfortable running traumas.

I would have to agree that 3 is way too many for most people. But I guess a few people like/need that much exposure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate you people, by the way.
I've done 4 months of trauma this year, and every call night is trauma call. For an entire year. And I probably can't get out of trauma during my residency because they need the bodies.

We did two months of DEDICATED trauma months (one as intern, and one as PGY-3 in SICU), but we were a Level 1 center so we saw a ton of trauma patients in the ED.

Honestly I felt I learned the most on those two months than many of my other non EM months....

Q

At Cincinnati:
-Trauma surg month in 2nd year
-SICU senior during 3rd year
-NSICU (lots of head trauma) month second year
-3rd year residents run the trauma bay (with trauma surg present)
-EM has all airways all the time including every trauma airway and the crics
-Helicopter flight program years 2-4 with 40% scene response with lots of trauma exposure

St V's in Toledo

2 months of trauma as a first year
1 month as a second year
during first year we are also taking neurosurg call (get extra loot for it). do a month of neurosurg as a second year as well (days with night calls -- no extra loot, less cool).
the trauma service is all ER residents. second year we act as the trauma chief.
mid second year through end of residency, we fly, with approx 1/3 scene flights.

all makes for lots of time running traumas, getting procedures, handling biznass in the med/surg ICU and neuro ICU, and getting confident and strong in critical decision making.

i think its pretty dope.

We have 1 month as an intern plus 1 month as a PGY-3 at our sister hospital. The PGY-2's have about 8-9 dedicated trauma shifts covering modified traumas at night during their PGY-2 year. PGY-4's run all full traumas during the day.

This is something that was changed only 2 years ago, and I can assure you that we get a lot of trauma experience. (More than I care for since I'm not really a trauma junky.)

At Univ Buffalo we do three months, trauma team as 1st and 3rd year and TICU (trauma ICU) as second years. As 3rd years we handle all the trauma airways, however I did find myself trying to intubate a GSW to the head as an intern.

U of Az. We have tons of trauma here. PGY-1 trauma surg then STICU as a pgy-2, then as a 3rd yr we have something called "trauma captain" which is like an ED shift but we are in control of most of the resus during the day.

Also once you do Gas and truama as interns you can sign up for traumas which mostly is airways and double checking the trauma service.

One of the things I liked most is that we have very little graded responsibility. I saw a ton of bad bad trauma as an intern and as a junior. You def get more comfortable dealing with the sickos when you are in the ICU and you do a bunch of procedures of course.

One month at Ryder. (does not involve TICU or SICU) Basicaly trauma bay call where you are the main resident running traumas.

Plus, trauma on all ED months because we are a busy level 1 trauma center.

We do three trauma months (although 1 is a Trauma/General Surgery month). We also do a SICU month.

LOL,

Nice one man, I feel ur pain. Doing my second month of night float and covering traumas. I couldn't get out of it next year, but at least I'll take vacation during that month.

Here we do a month of Trauma as an intern and SICU (included TICU) as a PGY-2.

I hate you people, by the way.
I've done 4 months of trauma this year, and every call night is trauma call. For an entire year. And I probably can't get out of trauma during my residency because they need the bodies.

Long time no talk.

We do 2 months, and both are in the ICU. One as an intern and the second as a PGY-2. While in the ICU we also respond to the traumas.

Wook