Traumatized by my first rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anotherstudent3

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm really really sorry you had such a bad experience.

If it makes you feel any better (it might not) sooooo many students even in their native lands, and in their native language, at their own institution, have experiences EXACTLY like yours. It's sad but there is nothing that you have shared, that any physician has not experienced in some way or another. It's a very difficult road. You WILL be a good doctor someday. Even the hard parts and the crying has taught you lessons, take away what you can learn from this to be stronger and improve. Leave behind the parts of this experience that have little to do with you, and more to do with some of the problems inherent in training, and to do with the fact that you just have more to learn with time.

Much of the time when you find that colleagues are being unfairly abusive to you (I'm not discussing when you have made a mistake and are corrected too harshly), it has very little to do with you specifically or personally. Everyone feels rushed, that they don't have enough time, and have too many demands and responsibilities. Sadly of all the things a physician has to do in a day, taking time to teach a student often seems almost impossible. People are overwhelmed, tired, hungry, grumpy, stressed. I don't say that to you to excuse how you were treated, but because I want you to know it's not your fault. Try to understand and help them! That is very difficult as a student, but the understanding and compassion for colleagues will serve you well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt exactly as you did on my OB-GYN and Surgery clerkship. Even US medical students in their own insitution experiences these feelings.

But you survived it. And you passed? At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

My first couple of rotations were all outpatient so my first inpatient IM rotation in Nov was a huge shock. And my mind still goes completely blank when I'm pimped on rounds, the stupid stuff I've said is legendary "uhh... bad stuff is going to happen..."

Reactions: 1 users