Travel Allowance Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jet915

Shi*ter's Rule
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on driving my car from my medical school location (Omaha, NEB) to my intern location (NMC San Diego). I was told that information on travel allowances and reimbursements can be found at https://secureapp2.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem. Unfortunately, I went to that site and all I can seem to find is pages and pages of rules and regulations. Am I expected to read all this?? I know there are others on this forum who are moving this summer as well. Anyone have any ideas on how to get reimbursed for moving expenses?? Please help. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you are doing a PCS move, is that correct? If it is, here are some tips. You need to do a partial DITY (do it yourself) move along with your regular Navy come pick up my stuff move. Basically, call the detailer and make sure he authorizes it, he may have to ammend your orders. Normally once you are all the way in, the Navy makes you take a class before each move to cover all this crap. Anyway, partial DITY works this way. Go get your car weighed empty, like with no gas, and get a weigh ticket. This can be done at some bases, but it easier to go to a truck stop, keep the receipt, you can claim it. Then load up your car with all your crap, fill it with gas, and go get it reweighed. Then make sure you keep track of all the mileage, mapquest is great for that. Then you can claim the mileage at govt rate, two years ago it was something like 38 cents per mile, you can find it at the DFAS website. This includes gas and wear and tear on the car, so you can't deduct gas along the way. Fill out the form, submit, and wait for a fat check and for your stuff from the regular PCS move.

Thanks Megadon. So it sounds like you do all this stuff, save the receipts and then get reimbursed later on?? What if you aren't going directly to your destination?? How does that work? Cause if they are gonna give you mileage based on distance between school and destination, whats the point in keeping track of gas and mileage etc.??

Members don't see this ad :)
The military will reimburse you based on the miles THEY calculate between destinations. It doesn't matter how winding a path you actually drive. The conversation with the finance person would go like this: "You're driving from X to Y?" "Yes." "That's XXX miles at 38 cents per mile (imagine calculator keys clicking in the background)....you'll get $ZZZ. Any questions?"

Sweet, I hope it's that easy. So I guess I pretty much need to call my detailer, tell them where I'm coming from and going and then they'll send me a check? I sure hope it'll be that easy. Thanks.

Sweet, I hope it's that easy. So I guess I pretty much need to call my detailer, tell them where I'm coming from and going and then they'll send me a check? I sure hope it'll be that easy. Thanks.

Not exactly. You'll get the check after you arrive and fill out a travel claim. I think when I started my internship, we all did it together during intern indoc but I can't really remember. Just make sure your orders have the address you want to travel from (although if you can claim a state-tax free state as your home of record you should definitely do that instead).