Travel Info for Pacific University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lucky112

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm flying in to Portland this thursday night and leaving Friday night for the interview. Does anyone know what the best way to get around from the airport, hotel, campus is? I am not sure whether I should get a rental, go by taxi, etc.

Also, I haven't booked a hotel yet, if you have any tips on which hotels are good please let me know!

Thanks in advance!:)

Members don't see this ad.

you can take the red line light rail (max) from the airport, transfer to the blue line at some point (downtown works well), and take that out to the hillsboro transit center (I think it is the last or next to last stop), and then take a bus from there to Pacific (#57 I think). You can check this route out on the web site for the bus here in Portland it's trimet.org. It is easier than it sounds, and cheaper than a taxi, unless you have a lot of bags. If I were you I'd just go out to Forest grove on Thursday and stay there the night before the interview. You could stay at the McMinnemans Lodge out there. Good luck, I'm planning on starting Pacific Optometry in August, so maybe I'll see you there.
Sam:)

Hey guys, I'm flying in to Portland this thursday night and leaving Friday night for the interview. Does anyone know what the best way to get around from the airport, hotel, campus is? I am not sure whether I should get a rental, go by taxi, etc.

Also, I haven't booked a hotel yet, if you have any tips on which hotels are good please let me know!

I personally would rent a car...a cab would be very expensive and although the MAX is definitely a good mode of transport, it takes at least two hours to get from the airport to Forest Grove and it involves at least two transfers (one from the red line to the blue line and then from the MAX to the bus line). As for lodging, I would stay in Forest Grove if possible; it will be less stressful than trying to drive in from somewhere else (especially if you don't know the area). The Best Western is probably the best hotel to stay at in Forest Grove. McMennamin's (The Grand Lodge) is nice, but they have community bathrooms from what I hear which may pose a problem when you are trying to get ready in the morning. As for the Best Value Inn, it is just run-down and gross.

Members don't see this ad :)

Spend the extra money and rent a car. Forest Grove is more than a hop, skip, and a jump from the airport. MAX (light rail) is NOT a convenient form of travel and taxi is likely to cost as much as or more than a rental. Also, traffic between FG and downtown Portland is just brutal at rush hour times. Be careful about Highway 26 Westbound right outside of downtown Portland, there were some landslides there recently and they have closed it a couple times in the past month to clean it up. If it is closed, take I-5 south out of downtown and exit onto Highway-217 Northbound and then exit onto Highway 8 (Tualatin-Valley Highway) and take it all the way into Forest Grove. Good luck.

Thanks so much for all your info, I'll look into these things. I'm looking forward to visiting OR for the first time! Too bad I have class on Sat, I wanted to stay a little longer to enjoy my visit.. :cool: