Employment & Professional Networking Travel OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hannieOT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am finishing up my masters right now and will be graduating in May 2021. I am extremely interested in travel therapy and wanted to see if anyone on here is currently a travel therapist or has previously done travel and could offer any advice.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
A travel company can be great for those adventurous, ready for anything. The site often needs a quota to be filled. They demand a lot from an occupational therapist, a new grad, or not. Try to find a match that the travel company can support you. Make the relationship mutually beneficial, not just letting them use you to fill in a spot. There are tons of companies out there, so you can find some good information about reputable ones vs. notorious ones.

I took a travel position but close to my location. As a Christian, I never prayed as much driving into work. The SNF that I was placed in wasn't ethical. I was fortunate enough not to be the sole OT there. When my contract was completed, the staffing company's response was surviving that place means I can be placed anywhere. It was not something I wanted to hear.

If you want to travel, continue to network with your cohort, find mentors, and seek growth.

Reactions: 1 user
A travel company can be great for those adventurous, ready for anything. The site often needs a quota to be filled. They demand a lot from an occupational therapist, a new grad, or not. Try to find a match that the travel company can support you. Make the relationship mutually beneficial, not just letting them use you to fill in a spot. There are tons of companies out there, so you can find some good information about reputable ones vs. notorious ones.

I took a travel position but close to my location. As a Christian, I never prayed as much driving into work. The SNF that I was placed in wasn't ethical. I was fortunate enough not to be the sole OT there. When my contract was completed, the staffing company's response was surviving that place means I can be placed anywhere. It was not something I wanted to hear.

If you want to travel, continue to network with your cohort, find mentors, and seek growth.
@sngot I wanted to ask, do you recommend starting out as a travel OT once you graduate? What would be the best option for someone who wants to just gain experience in the field and try out several settings before setting down on one?

For me I am interested in hand therapy and pediatrics and I am currently a first year and I feel like my preference will change as I go through the program.

Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad :)
@OThopefully183 Remain open because you may fall in love with other niches during exploring fields that are well established and emerging. Remember that OT school is suppose to prepare each clinician to be competent OTR. This means you will be able to apply occupational therapy no matter what field or setting. See if your school has the ability to place you in specific hand and pediatric fieldwork for Level I and II. I will say travel OT is not for everyone. Fieldwork and school is to support each person to be competent. When working, you are expected to be competent. Traditionally, I think older OT advocate people not to do it. I will say it is definitely possible to get the ball rolling if you don't mind switching things up every few months. I will caution that it is not for everyone. Be mindful that landscape of OT is also different now with COVID-19. Things may be again different in a few years. Continue to foster your interest in hand therapy and pediatrics. See what resources are around you at this current time.

@OThopefully183 Remain open because you may fall in love with other niches during exploring fields that are well established and emerging. Remember that OT school is suppose to prepare each clinician to be competent OTR. This means you will be able to apply occupational therapy no matter what field or setting. See if your school has the ability to place you in specific hand and pediatric fieldwork for Level I and II. I will say travel OT is not for everyone. Fieldwork and school is to support each person to be competent. When working, you are expected to be competent. Traditionally, I think older OT advocate people not to do it. I will say it is definitely possible to get the ball rolling if you don't mind switching things up every few months. I will caution that it is not for everyone. Be mindful that landscape of OT is also different now with COVID-19. Things may be again different in a few years. Continue to foster your interest in hand therapy and pediatrics. See what resources are around you at this current time.
Thanks sngot! As always, appreciate the advice.

Started with travel therapy as a new grad during the pandemic because there were no jobs at home. SNF was the only setting I found that was willing to take a new grad, so I’d be open to either SNF or maybe schools. I was the only OT at this SNF with no mentorship offered and with minimal orientation training. These facilities expect you to hit the ground running from day one with a full caseload, since you’re “so expensive”. My situation isn’t grad friendly by any means, but this is extremely common now.
I would also look into housing nearby before accepting a travel position because you’re not guaranteed to live close to your job. My commute is 45 mins because I could not find housing closer to work.

Started with travel therapy as a new grad during the pandemic because there were no jobs at home. SNF was the only setting I found that was willing to take a new grad, so I’d be open to either SNF or maybe schools. I was the only OT at this SNF with no mentorship offered and with minimal orientation training. These facilities expect you to hit the ground running from day one with a full caseload, since you’re “so expensive”. My situation isn’t grad friendly by any means, but this is extremely common now.
I would also look into housing nearby before accepting a travel position because you’re not guaranteed to live close to your job. My commute is 45 mins because I could not find housing closer to work.
Adding on to Evie for those who are more isolated:

I like to tap into these OT communities:
- Facebook groups
- AOTA's CommunOT
- The Occupational Therapy Hub.

During my SNF, I was indebted to the other rehab members OT/A, PT/A, and SLP. RN and CNAs also become your best friends.

Adding on to Evie for those who are more isolated:

I like to tap into these OT communities:
- Facebook groups
- AOTA's CommunOT
- The Occupational Therapy Hub.

During my SNF, I was indebted to the other rehab members OT/A, PT/A, and SLP. RN and CNAs also become your best friends.
Which Facebook groups do you find helpful?

Which Facebook groups do you find helpful?
These are the larger groups that I often check in on as I am a school-based therapist.

Facebook 小组 [Pediatric Occupational Therapists]
Facebook 小组 [ School-based Occupational & Physical Therapist]

There are also numerous 4OT Groups. I have cut and paste the list one of the group nicely outlined:
AT4OT - Assistive Technology
CPD4OT - Continuing Professional Development
Dementia4OT - Dementia
Dyslexia4OT - Dyslexia
Ergo4OT - Ergonomics
ET4OT - Educational Theory
Geri4OT - Geriatrics
Hands4OT - Hand Therapy
Humour4OT - Laughter and Fun
Intimacy4OT - Intimacy related aspect
LD4OT - Learning Disabilities
MH4OT - Mental Health
Neuro4OT - Neurology
ONC4OT - Oncology
Ortho4OT - Orthopaedics
OS4OT - Occupational Science
OT4OT - Online Technology
Pain4OT - Pain Management
Pedi4OT - Paediatrics
Play4OT - Play
Politics4OT - Political involvement
Research4OT- Research
Rheumato4OT - Rheumatology
Role-emerging4OT - Role-emerging practice

Reactions: 2 users
These are the larger groups that I often check in on as I am a school-based therapist.

Facebook 小组 [Pediatric Occupational Therapists]
Facebook 小组 [ School-based Occupational & Physical Therapist]

There are also numerous 4OT Groups. I have cut and paste the list one of the group nicely outlined:
AT4OT - Assistive Technology
CPD4OT - Continuing Professional Development
Dementia4OT - Dementia
Dyslexia4OT - Dyslexia
Ergo4OT - Ergonomics
ET4OT - Educational Theory
Geri4OT - Geriatrics
Hands4OT - Hand Therapy
Humour4OT - Laughter and Fun
Intimacy4OT - Intimacy related aspect
LD4OT - Learning Disabilities
MH4OT - Mental Health
Neuro4OT - Neurology
ONC4OT - Oncology
Ortho4OT - Orthopaedics
OS4OT - Occupational Science
OT4OT - Online Technology
Pain4OT - Pain Management
Pedi4OT - Paediatrics
Play4OT - Play
Politics4OT - Political involvement
Research4OT- Research
Rheumato4OT - Rheumatology
Role-emerging4OT - Role-emerging practice
Thank you so much for these recommendations!!

I’ve joined many of these groups since you recommended them and they are amazing!

FYI Some require member to be accepted into an OT program before admitting you to the group.