Travel PT as a new grad? Hawaii/ Abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CLCY

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am about to start my first year of DPT and have been really interested in becoming a travel PT. Is it likely to be hired as a travel PT straight from graduation? Without experience? Also, how hard is it to get a license for another state/ where can I check the licensing process?

Also really interested in either going to Hawaii or Abroad (most likely Canada, the UK or Australia) does anyone have any experience or advice about this?

Any help or tips on this is appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Forget about working overseas, at least in developed nations. You would need to meet all the local education and licensing requirements before they will even let you sit for their version of the NPTE. And EU work visas are very hard to get.

Reactions: 1 user
FSBPT has info on becoming licensed in other states. You could just google "FSBPT licensing in another state"

Members don't see this ad :)
Forget Europe, Canada, or Australia. Too much headache. I know there is a hospital in China that considers foreign PT's. And when that seastead opens in French Polynesia in 2019 or 2020, they might need a couple of PT's!

With a US license, you can work in the US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Guam, Hawaii, and Alaska. I think that's plenty of adventure. Of course, there is adventure everywhere if you look hard enough.

Forget Europe, Canada, or Australia. Too much headache. I know there is a hospital in China that considers foreign PT's. And when that seastead opens in French Polynesia in 2019 or 2020, they might need a couple of PT's!

With a US license, you can work in the US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Guam, Hawaii, and Alaska. I think that's plenty of adventure. Of course, there is adventure everywhere if you look hard enough.

Yeah I am noticing more that it might not be worth all the trouble to work internationally. I did forget about Guam and the VI, which are great enough for me. Thanks!

Hey guys! I am about to start my first year of DPT and have been really interested in becoming a travel PT. Is it likely to be hired as a travel PT straight from graduation? Without experience? Also, how hard is it to get a license for another state/ where can I check the licensing process?

Also really interested in either going to Hawaii or Abroad (most likely Canada, the UK or Australia) does anyone have any experience or advice about this?

Any help or tips on this is appreciated :)

A fair share of my classmates took traveling jobs right out of school. You will be exposed to different clinical sites and get to see a number of different places, but the stresses of managing your 8-5 might be intense - this coming from someone 4 years out.

Traveling PT does not offer you mentorship and, in many sites, an overflow or temp covering therapist does not receive a ton of support. Your job is to serve as a stop gap while a position is open, a position is being justified (i.e. trying to approve an FTE based on productivity), a leave of absence, etc. At the root of it, you're there to keep business... your development is not a priority.

A strong PT is a strong PT and we can all thrive in different conditions, but be wary if your goal is to work toward a specialty or if you're the type to engage in extra activities...or even if you think you may struggle with the stresses of your first job. PT can take you anywhere but my hope is that a traveling PT is traveling with their patients' best intentions at stake, and that includes your future patients. Find a way to keep pushing forward and not become a stagnant PT.

Full disclosure - I almost took a traveling gig when I could not get a neuro-based job right out of school in my immediate area. It would not have been the right choice for me long-term, looking at how things have played out.

Traveling PT does not offer you mentorship and, in many sites, an overflow or temp covering therapist does not receive a ton of support.

True, but with the internet you can have a virtual mentor. This is also one more reasons to go to conferences. Your mentor doesn't have to be with you all the time. Make one of your CI's your mentor if you want to. I've received mentorship, but it was never a co-worker.

A strong PT is a strong PT and we can all thrive in different conditions, but be wary if your goal is to work toward a specialty...

If you want to specialize, then work in one particular setting. You can still do that as a traveler. Take 6-month or 12-month assignments and stay for one year. You can hone your skills anywhere.

True, but with the internet you can have a virtual mentor. This is also one more reasons to go to conferences. Your mentor doesn't have to be with you all the time. Make one of your CI's your mentor if you want to. I've received mentorship, but it was never a co-worker.

If you want to specialize, then work in one particular setting. You can still do that as a traveler. Take 6-month or 12-month assignments and stay for one year. You can hone your skills anywhere.

I agree on the mentoring aspect in that I serve as a remote mentor for clinicians through the ANPT - but I’d always rather have someone there with me than remote mentoring. There’s pros and cons of each approach. Good point NT