Travel restrictions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucladoc2b

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey.

So apparently my program (well, really the entire health system) has prohibited any sort of travel (And I mean any sort. Vacation. . All subject to top brass approval) outside of the state. Consequences of this include mandatory 14 day unpaid quarantine.

I have to start interviewing for jobs. Makes it a bit more challenging. While I am fully aware of the pandemic, this restriction seems a bit excessive. Anyone else facing this issue?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey.

So apparently my program (well, really the entire health system) has prohibited any sort of travel (And I mean any sort. Vacation. . All subject to top brass approval) outside of the state. Consequences of this include mandatory 14 day unpaid quarantine.

I have to start interviewing for jobs. Makes it a bit more challenging. While I am fully aware of the pandemic, this restriction seems a bit excessive. Anyone else facing this issue?

That seems... excessive.

Hey.

What state are you in? This does seem excessive but a lot of states are requiring 2 week quarantine after travel out of state. Could this be more a state requirement rather than institution?

What state are you in? This does seem excessive but a lot of states are requiring 2 week quarantine after travel out of state. Could this be more a state requirement rather than institution?

A large southeastern state (with a recent surge). There aren’t any travel restrictions for people coming into this state.

I am wondering if you could do some of the interviews via FaceTime of zoom given the circumstances

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not even aware of places interviewing candidates in person. I mean, if I was an employer, I wouldn't want docs leaving their hospitals to come to fly to an interview and then hop on a plane to go back to their hospital.

Not sure I disagree with what your employer is doing. Also agree with the 14-day quarantine upon return for healthcare workers.

• Dislike
Are there hospitals that are still requiring in person interviews at this time?

If so they'll probably give you a paper bag to work the COVID unit

Yes where I work there are travel restrictions.

I’ve been doing a lot of interviewing the past couple of months and everything has been virtual.

Ok, ok. I’m salty about this because I’ve already cancelled one vacation over this, and might have to cancel another. Ugh. Both vacations were to visit my family, nothing fancy. Since they’re out of state I, like many others, am SOL.

Ok, ok. I’m salty about this because I’ve already cancelled one vacation over this, and might have to cancel another. Ugh. Both vacations were to visit my family, nothing fancy. Since they’re out of state I, like many others, are SOL.

I’m in Houston. I have a patient with severe rest pain that needs an aortobifem. But there aren’t any ICU beds so I can’t schedule the procedure.
Sorry, not sorry, if I’m unsympathetic about you losing your vacation.

I also worry about my mother who has MS who lives in NY. If she gets ill, I can’t go to NY right now due to (completely sensible) travel restrictions for people coming from TX.

I also had to cancel/reschedule my vacation earlier this year. It sucks. But it is far from the worst thing going on right now.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Due to the aggressive views demonstrated above, workers will continue donning the mask and cancelling vacations. If you step out of line as I just did? You all saw the results.

• Dislike
  • Okay...
Reactions: 2 users
When will our colleagues allow us back on a plane?
The answer is when CNN feels like it (unless you’re flying to a protest, that’s okay). So, don’t expect trips until next Spring at the earliest. Definitely not by November.
Make plans for all Zoom interviews.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
  • Dislike
Due to the aggressive views demonstrated above, workers will continue donning the mask and cancelling vacations. If you step out of line as I just did? You all saw the results.
By aggressive views, you mean people who are paying attention to the changing information and responding in ways to help reduce overall morbidity and mortality? You know, rather than relying on stuff people said months ago when they didn't know what they didn't know?

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
The answer is when CNN feels like it (unless you’re flying to a protest, that’s okay). So, don’t expect trips until next Spring at the earliest. Definitely not by November.
You can get on a plane right now. No one is stopping you.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m not a big fan of suits being able to tell an employee that already works 60+ hours a week for low pay and has no option to go to an alternative employer what they can and can’t do in their 3-4 weeks off a year that they also won’t let you roll over to the next. I had experience with this last year as a chief and had to remind some attendings that they don’t work as much or as hard as the residents they were putting restrictions on.

At the same time I think if you travel to a hotspot and get infected OR run afoul of state level mandatory quarantines then you deserve what you get as far as losing vacation or unpaid leave. I also agree OP prob doesn’t have much to worry about because he or she will mostly have virtual interviews.

Ok, ok. I’m salty about this because I’ve already cancelled one vacation over this, and might have to cancel another. Ugh. Both vacations were to visit my family, nothing fancy. Since they’re out of state I, like many others, am SOL.

Wahhh wahhh Im in the same boat as everyone else in the entire ****ing world and had to miss seeing my family once

Reactions: 3 users
Wahhh wahhh Im in the same boat as everyone else in the entire ****ing world and had to miss seeing my family once

Seriously though, we have easily ALL experienced this. I've missed two vacations, and one was supposed to be a big reunion with my siblings and parents that we haven't done in years. Literally have no family within a ten hour driving radius (flying is still like 6+ because of connections), so its not like I see them all the time to begin with.

We have all missed holidays, outings, family gatherings. Its a freakin pandemic. This is what happens. Be upset about it, but don't act like it isn't literally what everyone is experiencing right now. I'm so lucky that I still have a job and health insurance, compared to what seems like half of my patients that have lost one, the other, or both.

Reactions: 9 users
Seriously though, we have easily ALL experienced this. I've missed two vacations, and one was supposed to be a big reunion with my siblings and parents that we haven't done in years. Literally have no family within a ten hour driving radius (flying is still like 6+ because of connections), so its not like I see them all the time to begin with.

We have all missed holidays, outings, family gatherings. Its a freakin pandemic. This is what happens. Be upset about it, but don't act like it isn't literally what everyone is experiencing right now. I'm so lucky that I still have a job and health insurance, compared to what seems like half of my patients that have lost one, the other, or both.

Yes exactly.
This is a worldwide pandemic! Do people not realize this?
Australia banned its citizens from traveling overseas.
US citizens can’t get in to the EU right now. I have a colleague whose spouse lives in the EU. They previously saw each other about every other month and he was planning to move there around now. They obviously haven’t seen each other in months and now he obviously can’t move their right now.
I didn’t see my partner for 2.5 months.
The list goes on....

We’re all inconvenienced and many people have it much much worse without jobs or their health.

OP and technically you aren’t banned from travel you just have to quarantine when you get back. So you have to decide if that’s worth it for you. You shouldn’t have any problems with doing interviews virtually.

Yes exactly.
This is a worldwide pandemic! Do people not realize this?
Australia banned its citizens from traveling overseas.
US citizens can’t get in to the EU right now. I have a colleague whose spouse lives in the EU. They previously saw each other about every other month and he was planning to move there around now. They obviously haven’t seen each other in months and now he obviously can’t move their right now.
I didn’t see my partner for 2.5 months.
The list goes on....

We’re all inconvenienced and many people have it much much worse without jobs or their health.

OP and technically you aren’t banned from travel you just have to quarantine when you get back. So you have to decide if that’s worth it for you. You shouldn’t have any problems with doing interviews virtually.
Apparently even medical professionals have latched onto the conspiracy theories about it. Apparently the entire world is in on it and just faking all those restrictions and the deaths and hospitalizations that led to them.

1593876062161.png

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Apparently even medical professionals have latched onto the conspiracy theories about it. Apparently the entire world is in on it and just faking all those restrictions and the deaths and hospitalizations that led to them.

Truly frightening these individuals are out there being doctors.

Reactions: 1 user
Way at the beginning of this, before we implemented travel restrictions and before testing was easily accessible, we had one nursing home CNA go back home to visit family. came back, worked two shifts, and developed COVID symptoms, many cases were subsequently identified in her small hometown. she’d also ”forgotten“ to wear her mask upon returning. This lead to a dozen people getting woken up at 3 a.m. to deal with the fallout including the required call to the health department, contact tracing all of her staff and resident contacts, massive disinfection of the facility, increased symptom and temp monitoring of staff and nursing home residents, thus many freaked out staff and stressed residents and then 3 days waiting on pins and needles to get results back.

Flash forward a couple weeks ago, doc in surgery department gets a call from the health department that they were a close contact of a pos outside of work and need to quarantine. Had gone to a gathering of 15 people. Now we have to find backup or cancel surgeries and if this doc goes positive, we get to notify all of those patients he had contact with. I’m not a fan of much of anything admins do, but
I can’t say I blame them for wanting to avoid the fallout of that kind of cluster.

Does losing out on travel suck? Yes. Does upending everyone else’s world if you go and get sick after you return suck markedly more? Definitely.

Reactions: 8 users