Travel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sore eye asses

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are people handling travel?

For example, if one were to receive an interview in Florida for January 7th (not me, just an example), wouldn't the inital instinct be to plan a flight that would arrive on 1/6 and then leave on 1/7?

But what if then another interview comes for the 8th, but it's in NY. This hypothetical interview comes a week after the first interview was offered and the roundtrip ticket to Fl already purchased. Now, how would one go about making both interviews?

Many airlines won't allow cancellation after the fact. But the person who received the second interview in NY never could have anticipated it coming.

Is what I'm saying clear?

Anyone with any ideas on how to most effectively book flights?

We can't just sit around and not book them while waiting for interviews that may never come. Right?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same predicament, so I haven't scheduled any flights yet. Also, how bad do you think it would be to miss the pre-interview dinner due to a flight delay? Are you guys planning to fly in at least 3 hours before dinner? 5? The night before? Are programs understanding about flight delays leading to missed dinners?

For example, if one were to receive an interview in Florida for January 7th (not me, just an example), wouldn't the inital instinct be to plan a flight that would arrive on 1/6 and then leave on 1/7?

But what if then another interview comes for the 8th, but it's in NY. This hypothetical interview comes a week after the first interview was offered and the roundtrip ticket to Fl already purchased. Now, how would one go about making both interviews?

Many airlines won't allow cancellation after the fact. But the person who received the second interview in NY never could have anticipated it coming.

We can't just sit around and not book them while waiting for interviews that may never come. Right?

Based on my experience last year - this situation stinks!

They will probably notice if you go to the dinner, they notice if you stay till the end, they notice if you ask questions and show interest and show that you have made an effort to know their program.

But most of all, they REALLY notice if you are late, if you leave early, if you ask if you can be scheduled earlier to take a flight (to go to another program), etc. Major ding.

Obviously you want to go on as many interviews as possible, but don't waste your money on the trip if you're going to shoot yourself in the foot by leaving or make arrangements to duck out to go elsewhere! You may have to decide between two programs (and keep your fingers crossed that you are lucky to be making that decision!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on my experience last year - this situation stinks!

They will probably notice if you go to the dinner, they notice if you stay till the end, they notice if you ask questions and show interest and show that you have made an effort to know their program.

But most of all, they REALLY notice if you are late, if you leave early, if you ask if you can be scheduled earlier to take a flight (to go to another program), etc. Major ding.

Obviously you want to go on as many interviews as possible, but don't waste your money on the trip if you're going to shoot yourself in the foot by leaving or make arrangements to duck out to go elsewhere! You may have to decide between two programs (and keep your fingers crossed that you are lucky to be making that decision!)

I think Cheebs is right on the money. Now that I'm a resident and we're interviewing prelims, I know just how much the program notices who came to the dinner, who showed interest, who made an impression, and who, as determined by the program, "is probably not really interested, so let's not rank them highly."

I made it to as many preview dinners as I could, but I didn't make it to the dinner the night before at the place I matched, so--just like everything--it won't totally blow you out of the water by itself if you can't make it.

I think this is the predicament we're all facing.

What do you all think of buying 1 way tickets out to interview places you already have set. That gives you some flexibility.... I know Southwest and Delta and probably several other airlines offer 1 way tickets that are half the price of roundtrip. Some airlines, e.g. Continental comes to mind, makes it MORE expensive to buy a 1 way. (recently I was looking at round trip for $400 vs close to $600 for 1 way!). I even called customer service to ask about if it's ok to miss one way of the round trip and she was like yeah that's fine. So weird!

If anyone else has any other suggestions, please share. :)

Also, sore eyes, most airlines won't offer refund, but they give you credit towards future purchases, good for 1 year... and we're bound to use those up during the interview season...