Traveling 2 hours to take MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The closest test center I found is 2 hours away and my exam is at 1 pm. From your experience on the day of mcat, do you recommend I just drive the morning directly or stay at hotel overnight?

Members don't see this ad.

The closest test center I found is 2 hours away and my exam is at 1 pm. From your experience on the day of mcat, do you recommend I just drive the morning directly or stay at hotel overnight?

If I were that far from the testing center, I'd likely stay at a hotel the night prior. Even if you're used to driving a lot, 2 hours can be pretty draining before a big test.

Reactions: 2 users
I second the above, driving is a mental drain for sure.

To prepare for this, if you have the means, stay in a hotel/motel/holiday inn the night before one of your full length practice exams. Or even just sleep in a bed not your own the night before taking a full length so you can be prepared for that element.

This is a difficult call. Yes, 2 hours driving is a drain. At the same time, some folks can't sleep on a strange bed and have a good rest either.
If it was me, I will drive to the test center about 8:30 am. I will take lunch about 10:30 to 11:00. Getting myself settled down....and meditated for half and hour thinking about the fun I will have once I walk out the test center.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Same as the poster above me, I wouldn't spend the night at the hotel, but I would drive to the test center early and make sure I have lunch before the test.

I have had to drive 4 hours to take the MCAT. I highly recommend driving there the day before the MCAT and stay overnight.

The last thing you want is to become stressed the day of the exam because there is an accident on the highway or the traffic is just bad.

I've driven so much that I consider a 2 hour drive to be almost relaxing... but what would worry me are the things you can't predict. Construction, accidents, congestion for any other reason, etc. So if you don't stay the night before, do plan on giving yourself a lot of extra time. Worst case, grab a bite to eat somewhere if you arrive early.

I drove two hours for both of my MCAT exams and I find it quite relaxing. Sleep well the night before, wake up and complete your morning ritual (mine is always coffee, cereal, news, etc.), and leave early so you can find your test center with plenty of time to get lunch and relax before. I like to blast music in my car to help pump me up as well! In my mind, if you've taken plenty of practice exams under real conditions, a two hour drive with nothing to focus on but music and highway is nothing compared to a 4+ hour mental marathon.

Anyway, good luck! It'll be over before you know it.

Say at a hotel the day before arrive early like check in at 10 am the morning before the test, drive to the testing center see where you can park (legally =p), and where the building exactly is. I would then watch a good movie or study a bit and have a nice dinner and get some sleep. 2 h drive before a big test is not a great idea because they could always be accidents, traffic, road work.

I wasn't quite that far from my testing center and I stayed in a hotel and was happy with my decision.