Traveling Pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

i.<3.pharmacy

Dumb like a Moose.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently met a "traveler". She is an occupational therapist with an agency that sends her to a different place every three months. It's really cool... they give her a list of places to choose from and then she goes wherever she wants. She has traveled all over the U.S. and just came from Hawaii. I'm jealous.

I was wondering if anybody knows of opportunities for pharmacists as travelers. I know this wouldn't be ideal for everybody, but for somebody without anything holding them down it seems like an excellent opportunity to see what's out there.

Any information would be awesome. Thanks in advance!
 
I've never met a traveling pharmacist like the nurses who I'm familiar with who are travelers. I'm guessing it has to do with licensure, but I'm in a pretty restrictive state - CA has no reciprocity with any other state.

That being said....many new graduates will take the CA boards then immediately take the NV boards. Those folks who live in the Tahoe area do lots of relief work on both sides of the border. We get requests down where I live (SF bay area - about 200 miles away) looking for NV relief pharmacists.

The VA system may do this since you don't need any particular state license to practice there...but really....this is an expensive way to hire a pharmacist when you think about the costs of travel, housing, etc....The area has to be really devoid of pharmacists to justify that.