travelling for rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GatorRxGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I know I still have a while before rotations but I've been thinking about doing some at different locations in the country and doing a little bit of travel then. Has anyone here travelled to do rotations? My concern is where to stay for 5 weeks at a time. Has anyone heard of special housing arrangements for pharmacy students while doing rotations?

Members don't see this ad.

Buy a used RV. :) I'm looking to buy one for my 3rd and 4th years... plus it'd be cool to drive up to Gainesville for the games and tailgate out of it.

Buy a used RV. :) I'm looking to buy one for my 3rd and 4th years... plus it'd be cool to drive up to Gainesville for the games and tailgate out of it.

I know when I interviewed at Oregon State that they do their rotations throughout the entire Pacific Northwest. They also said they had one rotation site at the CDC. So yeah, I guess lots of people travel for rotations. I don't know how much traveling I'll be doing. It depends on where I end up for Pharm School. If I stay in SoCal, I don't plan on doing much more than would be considered a long commute.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I know I still have a while before rotations but I've been thinking about doing some at different locations in the country and doing a little bit of travel then. Has anyone here travelled to do rotations? My concern is where to stay for 5 weeks at a time. Has anyone heard of special housing arrangements for pharmacy students while doing rotations?

I've done 6 out of my 8 rotations so far. I'm only home for 2 of 8 of them. It's a personal choice (there's a limit to how far my school can send us for a rotation, i.e. a max. # of miles)...but I wanted to go out of state/county to see what else is out there. But like I said, it's a personal choice and you've got to be willing to pay for travel, place to stay, transportation, etc. We had a few options that offered a room to stay in (i.e. rural Indian Health Services ones). But for the most part, you have to budget the $ yourself.

For one of them, I stayed at an extend-stay type hotel. For the others I rented an apartment...through listings on craigslist. I can't say enough about the rotations and cities I was able to see by branching out though! If you can find a way to save up the $ to get a feel for pharmacy outside of the bubble you live in, I'd definitely recommend it ;)

Reactions: 1 user

UF makes you choose your top 5 locations. One of these is called "out of state". There are a few that offer housing, such as the Indian Health Service. Most do not. Florida Hospital in Orlando has dorms for students. My current preceptor allows students to stay at his house. You just have to check the options once you are assigned to that rotation.

since alot of students are moving around sometimes you can find people to sublease from for a month or 2. This would be mostly in florida tho, not sure about out of state.

For us, there is free housing in Rockford. You can also get subsidized housing in, I believe, Peoria and Urbana-Champaign. You're not required to go outside of the Chicago area.
In April of your P-3 year, you will randomly be placed into a group. We have 7 rotations at 6 weeks each. On day 1 of rotation selection, two required and one elective rotation is chosen on a computer program. They start with group one. One day 2, the other two require and two election rotations are chosen, and they start with the last group.

Thanks everyone!