Treatment of Agitation (benzos vs antipsychotics)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Porcelain Gallbladder

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
When do we give benzodiazepines vs Haloperidol in an agitated patient?

I came across Uworld questions, really couldnt figure out which one is given in respective situations.

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

What was the patient presenting with? I finished UW recently and I can't remember a specific scenario where I had trouble with benzos vs. Haloperidol. There was one question about a patient being restless which could have been easily mistaken for worsening psychosis, but it was actually akathisia. Is this the one you had trouble with?

Try to think of the way the drug works and how it can help the patient. In real life, many PRN medications are actually a combo of Haldol and a Benzo. For the exam and UW questions, think about what is going on with the patient. Haldol is a great choice for an acutely psychotic patient that is also aggressive/violent. It will knock them out, or at least that is what I think of. Inject them with some Haloperidol and it will help the psychosis which is usually causing the agitation in the first place. Don't ever confuse this with akathisia.

Benzos are not a popular correct answer choice among clinical vignettes and there are many reasons for that. Understand the side effects, especially in the elderly. Again, in real life it seems everyone is getting benzos but that is not how the exam wants you to think. Not sure if I actually answered your question. For the exam, before you pick a benzo as an answer choice look at the BETTER and SAFER options. Sleeping problems? Don't jump to a benzo. Anxiety? Don't jump to a benzo. Agitated patient responding to internal stimuli (or any evidence of psychosis)- why would you give a benzo? The patient is psychotic.

During my psych rotation I learned that Haloperidol is an absolute favorite of many physicians. It's a strong drug with many adverse effects, but it is absolutely effective. You need to remember the side effects. If the vignette mentions the patient had a severe acute dystonic reaction or something, obviously you will avoid giving that drug again. Hope this helps, and if I clearly went in the wrong direction and the answer in fact was a benzo, let me know lol.

Reactions: 1 user
What was the patient presenting with? I finished UW recently and I can't remember a specific scenario where I had trouble with benzos vs. Haloperidol. There was one question about a patient being restless which could have been easily mistaken for worsening psychosis, but it was actually akathisia. Is this the one you had trouble with?

Try to think of the way the drug works and how it can help the patient. In real life, many PRN medications are actually a combo of Haldol and a Benzo. For the exam and UW questions, think about what is going on with the patient. Haldol is a great choice for an acutely psychotic patient that is also aggressive/violent. It will knock them out, or at least that is what I think of. Inject them with some Haloperidol and it will help the psychosis which is usually causing the agitation in the first place. Don't ever confuse this with akathisia.

Benzos are not a popular correct answer choice among clinical vignettes and there are many reasons for that. Understand the side effects, especially in the elderly. Again, in real life it seems everyone is getting benzos but that is not how the exam wants you to think. Not sure if I actually answered your question. For the exam, before you pick a benzo as an answer choice look at the BETTER and SAFER options. Sleeping problems? Don't jump to a benzo. Anxiety? Don't jump to a benzo. Agitated patient responding to internal stimuli (or any evidence of psychosis)- why would you give a benzo? The patient is psychotic.

During my psych rotation I learned that Haloperidol is an absolute favorite of many physicians. It's a strong drug with many adverse effects, but it is absolutely effective. You need to remember the side effects. If the vignette mentions the patient had a severe acute dystonic reaction or something, obviously you will avoid giving that drug again. Hope this helps, and if I clearly went in the wrong direction and the answer in fact was a benzo, let me know lol.
Thank you very much.Indeed it helped me.
This was the question I had written in my notes from Uworld.
I will surely post the question once I come across that question.