1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

treatment

Discussion in 'Step I' started by moo, Mar 24, 2004.

1. moo

moo 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Our microbio prof in school told us not to worry about treatment for microbio. Do we have to worry about it for Step I? i.e., do we have to know that you use penicillin or vanco plus an aminoglycoside for enterococcus faecalis?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Stinger86

Stinger86 Intern year? Ha!
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

You damn well better believe it :)

Antibiotics are pretty high-yield as far as pharmacology goes on the boards.

4. moo

moo 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

No I mean I know we have to know antibiotics, their mechanism of action, etc. but do we have to know for what organisms they are used specifically?

5. doc05

doc05 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

absolutely.

6. jed2023

jed2023 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I wonder why in the world your prof would give you this advice. Is it possible that you misinterpreted him? Because if you didn't, that sounds pretty outlandish.

Every Step I review book I've seen that covers micro (including everyone's best friend, First Aid) discusses the spectrum of action of the various antibiotics. And even if it weren't required, you'd want to know it for 3rd year - and as a future physician.

Imagine that you are starting your medicine rotation during third year. Your attending asks you, "What antibiotic can we give this patient with a Pseudomonas infection?" If you replied, "Penicillin G", he or she might think that you are mentally challenged.

I'm just joking here, but I think all med students are expected to at least know the basics of what drugs cover which bugs.

7. 12R34Y

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes. you absolutely need to know how to treat different bugs.

OUr micro shelf was loaded with antiviral therapies, antifungal therapy, and of course antimicrobials.

later

8. tega

tega Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

the proff. probably expects anti-biotics to be covered during pharm.....thus his suggestion that they not be concerned about it during micro. But i doubt he believes he is going to send his students to the wards without any basic knowledge of microbial therapy.

this is the issue i have with subject based curriculums.......i dont see the rationale in teaching bacteriology without a comprehensive coverage of anti-biotics simultaneously (not the 2 hour crap u get during introduction to bacteriology).....

As for the OP ?.u can check katzung ch 51.??clinical use of antimicrobials?? has some really useful tables.

9. moo

moo 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

No, our curric is systems based AND our prof said we will learn this stuff next year so we don't need to learn it now. I had no idea this was the case but thanks for the heads up!