Trends in specialty Choice at your school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NicMouse64

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My class this year at a mid ranked MD school has many people applying to specialties that were otherwise unpopular in years past. I'm thinking that maybe some people are bailing on EM and switching to other specialties. As a reference: last year my class matched 4 general surgery, this year we have 20 applying for general surgery. Last year we had 4 match anesthesia, this year 10. 6 OBGYN last year, 20 this year. Radiology 4, 12 this year. Anyone else seeing a similar pattern at their school?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My class this year at a mid ranked MD school has many people applying to specialties that were otherwise unpopular in years past. I'm thinking that maybe some people are bailing on EM and switching to other specialties. As a reference: last year my class matched 4 general surgery, this year we have 20 applying for general surgery. Last year we had 4 match anesthesia, this year 10. 6 OBGYN last year, 20 this year. Radiology 4, 12 this year. Anyone else seeing a similar pattern at their school?
The MD school I graduated from at was a huge EM powerhouse. That shifted this past cycle and went from 30+ in EM to single digits. IM, General Surgery, Anesthesia, OB/GYN, Neuro, Derm and Surgical Subs have been similar or at least don't pop off the page. Psych seems to be a bit more popular too and IR mathces have increased a bit from what was already miniscule. The DO school next door though put out 40ish EM matches this cycle. In the DO world, EM and Psych are hot fields.

Up:
Psych
?IR

Down:
EM

Rest stayed the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The MD school I graduated from at was a huge EM powerhouse. That shifted this past cycle and went from 30+ in EM to single digits. IM, General Surgery, Anesthesia, OB/GYN, Neuro, Derm and Surgical Subs have been similar or at least don't pop off the page. Psych seems to be a bit more popular too and IR mathces have increased a bit from what was already miniscule. The DO school next door though put out 40ish EM matches this cycle. In the DO world, EM and Psych are hot fields.

Up:
EM
Psych
?IR

Rest stayed the same.
I guess your school got better advising back in July than mine. We had a lot of EM matches this year but I think the amount will drop precipitously next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess your school got better advising back in July than mine. We had a lot of EM matches this year but I think the amount will drop precipitously next year.
Don't be surprised if it stays high, especially in the DO world. EM is very DO friendly. Lots of people also aren't aware of what's going on as people are still talking about being paid $200/hr for a 3 year residency for shift work who can scale back and have other lives too.

EM was super popular at my MD school this past year. Almost as many matched as FM and my school has a big primary care focus. My classmates who are currently interested in EM either haven't been concerned about the field or are naïve to the issues that have come to light recently.

Reactions: 1 users
At my school

Up: Anesthesiology, Psych
Down: PM&R

At my school

Is this just for your graduating class?

I wonder why Anesthesiology is up at many schools with CRNAs being relatively prevalent in hospitals

Up:
Psych
?IR

Down:
EM

Rest stayed the same.
This is a concerning trend I've seen with DO schools. I'm a DO student and EM has always been super popular at my school. Easily one of the biggest fields we have people match in. Probably because its historically been decent salaried, shift work, perceived as sexy by the general public, etc, all the usual draws for a speciality, but also being pretty accessible for DO students. I know several friends who freaked out when they heard the news regarding future job population, but I wonder if students will keep applying because everyone is convinced they won't be the ones who end up without a job.

In regards to the original question though. OBGYN is pretty popular at my school, but apparently, it was a blood bath this year match-wise. I think 1/3 applicants who applied to OBGYN either didn't match it or match into a different field.

Is this just for your graduating class?

I wonder why Anesthesiology is up at many schools with CRNAs being relatively prevalent in hospitals
This is more of the general trend at my school. In 2013 we had under 5 anesthesiology matches, in the last few years double digits. I do go to a DO school though and Anesthesiology is one of the more DO friendly specialties.

This is more of the general trend at my school. In 2013 we had under 5 anesthesiology matches, in the last few years double digits. I do go to a DO school though and Anesthesiology is one of the more DO friendly specialties.
Any reason why PMR is down then (that is also a DO friendly school right?)

Idk about that (FM / IM / Peds)

I can think of many FM, IM and Peds programs that nearly exclusively fill with residents from highly regarded MD school. I don’t know of any PM&R program that avoids DO credentials. Even Harvard’s PM&R PD is a DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk about that (FM / IM / Peds)
Pretty sure their point was just to connect OMM to PMR as it might seem similar to rehab stuff, not factually what % go into the fields

I can think of many FM, IM and Peds programs that nearly exclusively fill with residents from highly regarded MD school. I don’t know of any PM&R program that avoids DO credentials. Even Harvard’s PM&R PD is a DO.
I would say this may be more due to the fact of the sheer number of all of those programs in the country compared to the small field of PM&R

Pretty sure their point was just to connect OMM to PMR as it might seem similar to rehab stuff, not factually what % go into the fields
I would say this may be more due to the fact of the sheer number of all of those programs in the country compared to the small field of PM&R

I don’t know the reason why, but it’s the only field that I know of where every DOs regularly line the residency roster at elite institutions. That’s why I see it as the most DO friendly field.

Psych and Gas are up at my school. Seems to be up at a lot of places

Psych is up at my school, the rest seem about the same.

PM&R may be the most DO friendly field in medicine
In more ways than one.

1.) Demand isn’t high.
2.) OMM is MSK based covering concepts like fascia, etc. PM&R deals with MSK rehab.
3.) It’s a small field. Aways plan into the hand of the DO system where many schools rely on students to do aways to complete their education.

Overall I think it’s a solid, versatile field. With PM&R training you can do outpatient sports medicine, put yourself in prime position to be in the skilled care/rehab business, and there are fellowships that allow for pain procedures.

Last edited:
Aside from the standard FM/IM, EM seems very popular at my school. The advising at DO schools is not the best, to put it lightly, and the students either have done no research of their own or do know about it and for some reason believe that they won't end up like everyone else.

Seems like everyone’s taking about different trends with EM, PMR/Gas, etc. I see everyone saying Psych’s up. What’s up with that?

Seems like everyone’s taking about different trends with EM, PMR/Gas, etc. I see everyone saying Psych’s up. What’s up with that?

Great lifestyle

Increasing pay, high demand

Not as much of stigma as it had in the past (due to increasing awareness of importance of mental health)

Interesting new treatments (ketamine, psychedelics, neuromodulation) still in their infancy

Ability to easily hang your own shingle and do private practice and even take cash only and not have to deal with insurance companies ever again due to low overhead

Nature of the work makes it possible to practice as long you want compared to something more intensive like surgery or EM

If you can handle dealing with the mentally ill it’s a great choice

Reactions: 6 users
Great lifestyle

Not as much of stigma as it had in the past (due to increasing awareness of importance of mental health)

Interesting new treatments (ketamine, psychedelics, neuromodulation) still in their infancy

Ability to easily hang your own shingle and do private practice and even take cash only and not have to deal with insurance companies ever again due to low overhead

Nature of the work makes it possible to practice as long you want compared to something more intensive like surgery or EM

That’s what I figured it would be about but that doesn’t justify hype. I wonder if the “decreasing stigma” was a direct result of the other factors listed when it comes to medical students decisions. Mental health is still pretty harshly stigmatized in the medical community. Also, I imagine midlevels are starting to become an issue given the accessibility of the field. Pay for Psych was increasing over the past decade but I think it’s leveled out. Additionally, these therapeutics (ex. psychedelics) have been talked about since the turn of the century. I’m still waiting.

Last edited:
In more ways than one.

1.) Demand isn’t high.
2.) OMM is MSK based covering concepts like fascia, etc. PM&R deals with MSK rehab.
3.) It’s a small field. Aways plan into the hand of the DO system where many schools rely on students to do aways to complete their education.

Overall I think it’s a solid, versatile field. With PM&R training you can do outpatient sports medicine, put yourself in prime position to be in the skilled care/rehab business, and there are fellowships that allow for pain procedures.

Seems like a pretty sweet gig to me

Great lifestyle

Great points. Adding to that:

Residency hours are amongst the lowest worked (program dependent of course)

While it’s getting more competitive, a high step score is not needed to match.

Lots of residency positions available (6th highest after IM,FM,EM, Surgery, and Anesthesiology).

Really hoping rads is still under the radar.

Reactions: 5 users
Good to see at least some students leaving EM, but I doubt applicants will decrease all that much. ACEPs dire workforce study has already quickly fallen out of the news already and things are back to quickly declining while they sit on their ass.

Good to see at least some students leaving EM, but I doubt applicants will decrease all that much. ACEPs dire workforce study has already quickly fallen out of the news already and things are back to quickly declining while they sit on their ass.
Seems like it’s EM to Psych for the hot lifestyle field.

No dramatic changes at my school. EM actually slightly up to 9%

Psych: Easy 300k/yr working 4-4 1/2 days per wk. You can get a job almost anywhere in the country

Radiology is even better. Not sure why it isn't the most competitive specialty in medicine: 1 wk on and 3 wks off night shift for 400k+/yr

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Aside from the standard FM/IM, EM seems very popular at my school. The advising at DO schools is not the best, to put it lightly, and the students either have done no research of their own or do know about it and for some reason believe that they won't end up like everyone else.
I guess DO students have not gotten the news yet, or could it be pure stupidity.

Psych: Easy 300k/yr working 4-4 1/2 days per wk. You can get a job almost anywhere in the country

Radiology is even better. Not sure why it isn't the most competitive specialty in medicine: 1 wk on and 3 wks off night shift for 400k+/yr

Ive heard 1 on 2 off. 3 off is crazy good

I dont think these jobs are sustainable since they sound so great on paper especially for the salary, yet they seem plentiful and no one does them long-term. Ive also only seen 1 on 2 off. And back in the day they were 1 on 1 off!

I dont think these jobs are sustainable since they sound so great on paper especially for the salary, yet they seem plentiful and no one does them long-term. Ive also only seen 1 on 2 off. And back in the day they were 1 on 1 off!
You may be right because these deals are too good to be true.

At my school

PM&R shot through the roof at my school this year for the match. Historically 3-5 matches per year up to 15 PM&R matches this cycle. Seems to be fairly popular when I ask people about it (I'm a second year DO student - also very much interested in PM&R)

PM&R shot through the roof at my school this year for the match. Historically 3-5 matches per year up to 15 PM&R matches this cycle. Seems to be fairly popular when I ask people about it (I'm a second year DO student - also very much interested in PM&R)
The low PMR #’s were probably just an anomaly this year for my school. But 15 matches dang that’s a lot. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that many PM&R matches at any school MD or DO. It’s definitely a hidden gem of a field.

ppl be going into ophtho here recently
optho, plastics, derm, pmr, anes all picking up from what I have seen. All seem to be on the easier side in terms of hours (except residency for plastics and anes) and pay is good in all

You're looking at a computer for the majority of your day, and the field seems to be fit for a specific personality ie bookworms

Great points. Adding to that:

Residency hours are amongst the lowest worked (program dependent of course)

While it’s getting more competitive, a high step score is not needed to match.

Lots of residency positions available (6th highest after IM,FM,EM, Surgery, and Anesthesiology).
there are also a wide range of fellowship options. you could do a brain injury medicine fellowship and take care of more medically "sick" patients. you could do get into more procedural-based practices by doing a pain or interventional psychiatry fellowship. and there is are manyopportunities to work with forensics. lots of options

Because different people have different priorities. Rads is pretty specific to certain people I think
Maybe. I have a different perspective about job since I am not native.

The perfect job for me is something tolerable (emphasis on tolerable) where I can spend the least amount of time while making a lot of money to take care of my needs.

I have a hard time believing that most people who go into derm really enjoy it. I might be wrong here, however.

Isn't the median still around 270? Psychiatrists who clear 300 are probably working at least full time.

Isn't the median still around 270? Psychiatrists who clear 300 are probably working at least full time.
4 days/wk is full time. Go to the psych forum and you will there are psych doc who are making 300k working 4 days/wk.

Do people think psych is getting more competitive by accident? Do people think radonc is getting unfilled spots by accident? 6+ yrs ago you needed to have a PhD on the top your MD plus 20+ publications to be competitive for radonc. As soon the market job crumbles, everyone run away as fast as they can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
optho, plastics, derm, pmr, anes all picking up from what I have seen. All seem to be on the easier side in terms of hours (except residency for plastics and anes) and pay is good in all
Plastics can't really be picking up because number of residency positions is limited. Maybe more applicants though. Prelim ERAS data for this year suggests a <65% match rate for US MDs.

Rads is for a specific personality type. Very self selective. You're basically a doctor's doctor rather than a patient's doctor.

That’s what I figured it would be about but that doesn’t justify hype. I wonder if the “decreasing stigma” was a direct result of the other factors listed when it comes to medical students decisions. Mental health is still pretty harshly stigmatized in the medical community. Also, I imagine midlevels are starting to become an issue given the accessibility of the field. Pay for Psych was increasing over the past decade but I think it’s leveled out. Additionally, these therapeutics (ex. psychedelics) have been talked about since the turn of the century. I’m still waiting.

Mental health might still be stigmatized in the medical community. But the general population is much more receptive to people having mental health issues and mental health needs and people feel much more inclined to get that help. Thats why the demand for mental health services is higher. How many people these days have a "therapist" etc.

Mid level encroachment isn't as much of a problem is psych as it is in say EM and anesthesia. Psych isn't as algorithmic as other mid level friendly specialities and therefore requires a different expert level of expertise to do well.

Last edited:
  • Hmm