Tri-I's Deadline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrSosa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation. I've had my AMCAS and secondary done for a little while now. The only thing that was missing from my file were my recommendation letters. I was waiting for my current research advisor to finish her letter, so I could send everything together. Well, last week I requested that the rest of my letters be sent, just in case.

Now I find out that they weren't sent until Thursday or Friday (they can't tell me exactly). So that means Cornell won't get them until early this week. To make matters worse, my advisor still hasn't finished my letter. I emailed admissions to let them know what's going on, but they haven't replied. Am I screwed? or will they still consider me as long as it's not to close to November 18. Does anyone from Cornell have any insight on this?

I'm only asking because the deadline is so early, and they do mention that they may do this kind of thing.

Members don't see this ad.

According to the website, the deadline for receipt of all materials was yesterday, the 17th. They have a really early deadline b/c they finish interviewing so early in the app cycle. It can't hurt to call in follow-up to your e-mail, but technically you're already too late. If I were you, I'd call and explain that your letters were not sent when you requested them and that their lateness was out of your control, but stress that you're still really interested in the program and would appreciate some leeway. Like I said, it can't hurt. Good luck.

Thundrstorm said:
According to the website, the deadline for receipt of all materials was yesterday, the 17th. They have a really early deadline b/c they finish interviewing so early in the app cycle. It can't hurt to call in follow-up to your e-mail, but technically you're already too late. If I were you, I'd call and explain that your letters were not sent when you requested them and that their lateness was out of your control, but stress that you're still really interested in the program and would appreciate some leeway. Like I said, it can't hurt. Good luck.

Yea, I agree with Thundrstorm as well. The deadline for MSTP is Oct 17th for Tri not the Nov date for the reg med school.

Good luck too

Members don't see this ad :)
bottles999 said:
Yea, I agree with Thundrstorm as well. The deadline for MSTP is Oct 17th for Tri not the Nov date for the reg med school.

Good luck too
Yes, I know that the deadline is Oct 17. In fact, they said it was Oct 15 in the email I got from them. But anyway, that's not what I'm asking here. I just wanna know if anyone from Cornell knows how understanding their admissions office is with regard to these kinds of things. I spoke to a Tri-I student at a fair recently who told me they would be cool about recommendation letters being reasonably late, but I just wanted to be sure since they haven't replied to my email. I haven't called because I already informed them of my situation, and I don't wanna speculate with them on how fast I'll get this last letter. I'd rather wait until I have it in hand, and then call to tell them that it's on the way. I should have it tomorrow.

Anyway, I guess I'll find out soon enough whether I'm screwed or not. I just thought some Tri-I student might be able to give me an idea of how strict they really are.

Yes, I know that the deadline is Oct 17. In fact, they said it was Oct 15 in the email I got from them. But anyway, that's not what I'm asking here. I just wanna know if anyone from Cornell knows how understanding their admissions office is with regard to these kinds of things. I spoke to a Tri-I student at a fair recently who told me they would be cool about recommendation letters being reasonably late, but I just wanted to be sure since they haven't replied to my email. I haven't called because I already informed them of my situation, and I don't wanna speculate with them on how fast I'll get this last letter. I'd rather wait until I have it in hand, and then call to tell them that it's on the way. I should have it tomorrow.

Anyway, I guess I'll find out soon enough whether I'm screwed or not. I just thought some Tri-I student might be able to give me an idea of how strict they really are.

I refrained from answering because I don't know the answer for dead sure - but I do have some idea. If the recommendation letters are a bit late, and the rest of your application is complete, I imagine that it might be considered, but...

if you're turning in your application at the deadline, you're basically shooting for the 2nd interview date (~35 people invited - something like 70 interviewed in total) along with large number of people who submitted applications at the deadline. The admissions committee has to move quickly to give people enough time to make arrangements, and it is likely that if your application is complete past the deadline, those interview spots will be given away even if you are very qualified. The same princple holds for applying to rolling admissions schools early vs late - the effect is just magnified in this case because of the limited and early interview dates.

I suppose this is all academic until you find out - sorry if it isn't very helpful.

Ok. Well, that's certainly much more comforting than the worst-case scenario. At least I feel as if I still have a chance. I'll just do whatever I can at this point and not be surprised if I get cut off. It will still hurt though. Thanks for the help Habari.

Well, I just wanted to say that my rec letters finally got faxed last Wednesday, and I got a "complete" email from Cornell today. They're still going to review me too. So I guess they are flexible about that deadline as long as you have your secondary in on time. Of course, I'm sure things haven't gotten any easier for me and my file. But according to the other Cornell thread, it looks like I'm gonna be reviewed along with others who have apparently been complete for months. I'm not complaining.

I talked on the phone with the MSTP system administrator and she said that it's no big deal if you don't get the deadline but you won't get to be reviewed at the Oct. 28 invite. I think you're fine. However, I'm sure that if they haven't already determined to whom they're going to hand out their 11/18 invites they're gonna do it any day now.

they gave me a fax number to fax the letters of rec so you can call them and ask them for that option.