Tri-I or Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mega_

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Glad to have those choices.

I liked Tri-I a lot on paper, the structure, the research in cancer/genomics, the stipend and location is great for me and my family.

On the negative side, I am not sure just how flexible the program is in terms of medical and graduate curriculum and how is the student atmosphere is there, since the interview day was rather condensed and i could not stay for social activities.

Yale appeal is its flexible system, extremely nice students, and research that i actually worked on there and got some substantial results at some point and I could continue doing it.
The negatives is location outside of other research centers, it also makes it harder for me to see my family. Also the smaller hospital and low stipend is part of consideration for me. Also sometimes it seems to me that yale system could be almost a negative.

Would appreciare any thoughts or comments, thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you able to go to the second look for either of the programs? May give you a better idea of the culture at Tri-I and more students perspective on the Yale system. Access to a stable support system is super important for maintaining sanity throughout this long program, but I would look into travel times from New Haven to where ever your family is vs. NYC traffic.

Also consider the cost of living with the stipend. I'm not sure what the stipends are and what the exact costs of living are in each, but it may turn out that the smaller amount at Yale goes a lot further in New Haven.

Disclaimer: on the waitlist for one of those schools

Last edited:
You will never have grades at Yale. That is worth its weight in gold.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
These are two pretty different locations and very different programs in terms of organization/structure. If I were in your (very lucky shoes) I'd probably make a choice based on these three criteria: Research, Location, Fit with the program. If you are all-in on cancer research, Tri-I definitely has the leg-up there. If you want an urban lifestyle for you and your family then go to NYC; if you want a more pastoral, affordable living and working situation then New Haven wins. Etc, etc.

Thank you for your replies!
Yeah, I am definitely going for second visits, hope it will help. Since I lived in New York boroughs and New Haven before, actually it surprisingly not much cheaper in terms of food/cloth/taxes. The only thing that is cheaper considerably is housing and costs of having a car, but I since I don't own a car and housing is subsidized by Cornell, COA is actually pretty similar.

Last edited: