turkaglew

7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Awhile back I read a thread debating whether or not Dr. Oz is a nut. I am kind of indifferent, I sort of like his holistic approach to health, but somethings he endorses seems a bit weird.

Anyway, there was an interesting article in the Chicago Tribune today on it if anyone is interested. I don't have a link because I got the paper, but I imagine it can be found online if anyone is interested.

dr zaius

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I've never heard the "cancer is a fungus and can be treated with baking soda" hypothesis. If only my grandmother would have known!

I tend to dislike doctors with TV shows. Oz's show, that show The Doctors....all terribly annoying.

LuciusVorenus

Bad Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Anything Oprah touches turns into/or already is crap. Including books.
It's a shame to see such a good surgeon dumb himself down for Oprah's audience.

lanashif

7+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2010
Status
That's interesting, although I'm not surprised. He can't be perfect, and I am sure he is getting money for almost all of the things that he sponsors, which is always a good encouragement.

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
Cancer. Fungus.

Where is that "face smack" emoticon? How do I find these?

orthomyxo

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I do not doubt that he is an extremely intelligent man, but I can't help thinking that he is a sellout. I'm sure he makes a pretty penny for his dumb little show, which in my opinion, offers horrible advice.

Last edited:

ArkansasRanger

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Arkansas
Status
Pre-Medical
I think he looks like a jack ass wearing scrubs on his tv show. I mean geez put some clothes on.

My mom saw him recommend those nose pots - fill them up with water and a packet of stuff that comes with them and pour in your nostrils. She bought one, recommended it to me, I got one, and I love it. Wash that plug of snot right out of there. It works way better (and faster) than medicine.

I remember when he had a show on another channel...Discovery Health?? Isn't he a CT surgeon? And isn't Sanjay Gupta a neurologist?

The Poet Sings

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2009
Far from home :-)
Status
Medical Student
I think he looks like a jack ass wearing scrubs on his tv show. I mean geez put some clothes on.

My mom saw him recommend those nose pots - fill them up with water and a packet of stuff that comes with them and pour in your nostrils. She bought one, recommended it to me, I got one, and I love it. Wash that plug of snot right out of there. It works way better (and faster) than medicine.

I remember when he had a show on another channel...Discovery Health?? Isn't he a CT surgeon? And isn't Sanjay Gupta a neurologist?
it's called a neti pot. i used to use one. i can't remember why i started and stopped though lol. i guess it served it's purpose for me. i tried to get my mother to try, since she's always having stuffy/runny noses. but she felt like she was drowning and panicked and refused to finish trying.