This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrepMatch

Partner Organization
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
You are on the last day of your volunteer clinic experience. You have a busy patient clinic ahead of you, and it appears your clinic supervisor (who you think is an amazing role model) is intoxicated.

(Answer the questions below or discuss the main points in your posts)

1. How are you going to react?
  2. Do you think your position as volunteer limits what you can do?
  3. Talk about a time when you were in a position of lower power and needed to speak up.

(This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable)

Members don't see this ad.

The safety of the patient is first and foremost.
1) "Appears" does not mean "is" intoxicated. Fist step is to approach her privately and trie to clarify the situation. If she is indeed intoxicated, beyonde reason, you would report the case to superiors.
2)Yes, there is a limitaion as a volunter but as a pre-med (or generaly a decent person) you have to be an advocate for all the patients/people around you. Even though it may rock the boat bringign the situation to light can save multiple lifes.
3) ...

1. first and foremost, the safety of the patients is always the priority. However, it would make sense not to immediately jump to conclusions without gathering all the evidence. I would first approach and confront her personally and if I smell alcohol on her breath, I would report to my superiors.
2. As a volunteer, I do somewhat believe that my position limits what I can do, and there's a good chance people might not believe me because I'm just a volunteer. However, it is still my duty to uphold the values of the clinic and stand up for the safety of the patients no matter what.