Trig/physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sistahnik

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you all think that it is mandatory to take trigonometry before physics or can physics be taken w/o trig? I am taking college algebra at this time and I was thinking of taking org chem I and physics with something like spanishin the fall. In the winter is when I was planning to take the trig if it's not needed for the physics class. please give me your input. thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

if ur gonna break vectors into components like in mechanics, you better know trig...but high school trig will be enough.

I had trig in high school, but that was 11 years ago!! :eek: I just didn't want to take trig, physics, and org I all at the same time. Now if it is something that I can do then I will. I was just thinking of the 2 labs I would have with the 2 sciences, aaannnnd math..... :scared: maybe I need to brush up on my skills in trig or something I don't know!!! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure that physics class isn't calc based

sistahnik said:
Do you all think that it is mandatory to take trigonometry before physics or can physics be taken w/o trig? I am taking college algebra at this time and I was thinking of taking org chem I and physics with something like spanishin the fall. In the winter is when I was planning to take the trig if it's not needed for the physics class. please give me your input. thank you!!

i did the same thing...physics with orgo no trig. it was pretty hard though to not understand the trig stuff (esp since i didn't take it in high school either). certain aspects especially the angles and sines and all that sort of thing were way over my head and i had to learn it from the "quick review" in the textbook. not ideal. i think i would have gotten more out of the class had i taken trig first but if you have had it in high school, you probably had enough.

if its calc based then what? actually I believe the calc based is for the engineering majors, and the other physics is regular. I'll have to check on that one!!

sistahnik said:
if its calc based then what? actually I believe the calc based is for the engineering majors, and the other physics is regular. I'll have to check on that one!!
With basic math from high school you could get through the trig based physics. If you do take the calc based you might get lost, and would be too risky.

Non-calculus physics will leave you in an okay spot without trig. For vectors, you'll need a fraction of trig knowledge to get through.

dc

Just go online or to an old math book and review the basic trig functions (COS,SIN, TAN). Those are the functions you'll need for vector work. Maybe find a short online tutorial about Vector addition. After that your algebra should cover you.

you guys are the best!!! I just need to go ahead and get started with the physics and org chem so I will know when I'll take the mcat next year(05). so I guess I'll go ahead and think about registering for physics I and org I with a laid back class in the fall. I am so nervous because I really don't know what to expect from the physics class. I'm going to try and network with some classmates who already took the class and maybe they can fill me in on the layout. thanks again guys!! :thumbup:
PS: more comments are welcome! :D

chello everyone. just needed to do the bump! :D