Trig- yeah or nay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

denthopeful86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So i do not need trig for my degree. that highest math I have is college algebra (yeah i suck at math). should I invest a semester for trig in order to prepare for the DAT? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

If you're taking this class solely for the purpose of DAT prep (as in you're not a math minor, need a math gen ed, etc.) then I would say patently, no. Trig on the DAT doesn't go much beyond trig identities, which are easily memorized. Buy Math Destroyer, memorize all the formulas and do all the tests and save yourself $x,xxx on tuition. That'll leave you better prepared for the DAT QR than any trig class alone.

Trig is big on the DAT. I would take it, along with calculus (not necessary for DAT) and statistics. Don't short yourself in math. Just take the classes, and you will be glad you did. They come in handy throughout college!

I wouldn't waste the credits for it--I'm sure there are more important things you could be taking for your major. Math Destroyer and Chad give you basically everything you need for the math section. The trig can be tricky, but the word problems are even trickier. I'd invest more energy on those.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would certainly not take a trig class just for the DAT. Anything you will ever need for DAT QR can be found in Chad's videos, Khan Academy (youtube vids), and practice tests. If you don't understand something, just google it and you'll find some good explanations, especially on youtube. Even so, you will only find a few trig problems on the DAT. Know the basics and you'll be fine.

I agree with the majority of the posters above- I wouldn't take a class just on the offchance that trig will show up on your DAT. Math destroyer should give you enough of a background to do well. Notice what I said- on the offchance that you get trig- meaning you may not even get trig questions (I can't remember but I don't think I had any). Now, this isn't to say you won't get trig, because it is quite common and a lot of ppl see trig questions- so study, plan, prepare, but don't freak out. If you still feel unsure about trig read a couple chapters in a math book and do some problems to make sure you know how to manipulate angles, lengths and trig identities. Again, Math destroyer covers a majority of the identities you will need to know as well as question types you could be asked. Good luck!

I think you need a year of math for most dental schools (not sure if all). If you're gonna need it for dental school applications you should make the decision of whether or not you want to take it before the DAT where it might help you or during your senior year where a lot of admission decisions can be made without those credits.