Trinity medical school in the Caribbean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted936442

Hi all,
I was just accepted to trinity medical school and i was wondering if i should go. I want information on how the curriculum is structured and how many exams are being distributed per semester and what is the attrition rate like. I also have seen quite a few people match last year i was wondering if this will be steady going forth or is it just a huge gamble to go there.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I was just accepted to trinity medical school and i was wondering if i should go. I want information on how the curriculum is structured and how many exams are being distributed per semester and what is the attrition rate like. I also have seen quite a few people match last year i was wondering if this will be steady going forth or is it just a huge gamble to go there.
Do NOT go to the Caribbean.

Go and see what happens

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Hi there. I'm a Caribbean graduate. Hopefully the dismal response rate thus far has been enough to cause you to take pause and evaluate this decision. Just in case it hasn't, let me be the first --

STRONGLY RECONSIDER before accepting this offer. I am admittedly biased being a graduate of SGU, but I think you will find strong support for my opinion that you should ONLY consider SGU or Ross medical school due to issues with name recognition and/or US accreditation. Other schools provide a quality education, but they lack the name-recognition that SGU and Ross possess, which is an important component of securing a residency. That really needs to be your primary metric for grading Caribbean medical schools. No residency = no go. Also consider strongly that Ross, being on the island of Dominica which was ravaged by the recent hurricane, is reeling from recent storm damage and not currently accepting students into their mainland campus.

Regardless of the other stats going forth, the only gamble you need to concern yourself with is this: Does this program maximize my chances of securing a residency in a US program. If anything else weighs on your decision, you should reconsider the Caribbean approach.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi there. I'm a Caribbean graduate. Hopefully the dismal response rate thus far has been enough to cause you to take pause and evaluate this decision. Just in case it hasn't, let me be the first --

STRONGLY RECONSIDER before accepting this offer. I am admittedly biased being a graduate of SGU, but I think you will find strong support for my opinion that you should ONLY consider SGU or Ross medical school due to issues with name recognition and/or US accreditation. Other schools provide a quality education, but they lack the name-recognition that SGU and Ross possess, which is an important component of securing a residency. That really needs to be your primary metric for grading Caribbean medical schools. No residency = no go. Also consider strongly that Ross, being on the island of Dominica which was ravaged by the recent hurricane, is reeling from recent storm damage and not currently accepting students into their mainland campus.

Regardless of the other stats going forth, the only gamble you need to concern yourself with is this: Does this program maximize my chances of securing a residency in a US program. If anything else weighs on your decision, you should reconsider the Caribbean approach.
I agree with bedevilled ben. I applied to a Caribbean medical school (SGU) 1.5 years ago, and got in. But for some reason, I kept holding off the decision to accept and matriculate. Now, in 2018, I don’t regret that decision one bit. My patience ultimately led to two amazing acceptances in the U.S. ;) Sometimes, it’s better to wait before making big decisions. Like my colleague bedevilled ben said, it’d be in your best interests to strongly reconsider your options — before accepting Trinity’s offer.

Reactions: 1 user
you should ONLY consider SGU or Ross medical school due to issues with name recognition and/or US accreditation. Other schools provide a quality education, but they lack the name-recognition that SGU and Ross possess, which is an important component of securing a residency.

NO caribbean medical schoosl have "US accreditation". Ross and SGU have name recognition but that is not an important component of securing a residency. The top things program directors look at are your step scores and your LORs.

https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/PD-Survey-Report-2014.pdf

name recognition is not even on the list...

Hi all,
I want information on how the curriculum is structured and how many exams are being distributed per semester and what is the attrition rate like.

their website says 13% attrition. i would ask a current student or the admissions people about curriculum and exam schedule.

their website says 13% attrition. i would ask a current student or the admissions people about curriculum and exam schedule.
Lol they must be confusing attrition with graduation rate. Either that, or they’re lying

I agree with bedevilled ben. I applied to a Caribbean medical school (SGU) 1.5 years ago, and got in. But for some reason, I kept holding off the decision to accept and matriculate. Now, in 2018, I don’t regret that decision one bit. My patience ultimately led to two amazing acceptances in the U.S. ;) Sometimes, it’s better to wait before making big decisions. Like my colleague bedevilled ben said, it’d be in your best interests to strongly reconsider your options — before accepting Trinity’s offer.

I think you also realize that this is your story and your story might not apply to another candidate. Without having gone to SGU, it's not fair to knock that program when you have PLENTY of people who are succeeding by going down that path.

The reality is there are going to be MANY people who just will not get into a US program and SGU offers them a legitimate path to become a doctor.

What you are arguing is to not go to SGU under any circumstances and you would not be able to back that argument up when you have 900 graduates a year.

I think you also realize that this is your story and your story might not apply to another candidate. Without having gone to SGU, it's not fair to knock that program when you have PLENTY of people who are succeeding by going down that path.

The reality is there are going to be MANY people who just will not get into a US program and SGU offers them a legitimate path to become a doctor.

What you are arguing is to not go to SGU under any circumstances and you would not be able to back that argument up when you have 900 graduates a year.
Umm wtf. Cool your jets superstar. I was just telling OP to not rush into a decision to accept his offer. He can always defer and try other options in the meantime (i.e. reapply). There’s not a darn thing wrong with that

Umm wtf. Cool your jets superstar. I was just telling OP to not rush into a decision to accept his offer. He can always defer and try other options in the meantime (i.e. reapply). There’s not a darn thing wrong with that

Well for someone who is not familiar with that school or has attended a Caribbean school, you really should not be advising anybody lol.

So yeah, there's something wrong with that.

Well for someone who is not familiar with that school or has attended a Caribbean school, you really should not be advising anybody lol.

So yeah, there's something wrong with that.
Im from the island sweetheart, I’m plenty familiar with the school. But by all means, keep huffing and puffing

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to go to medical school and earn an MD, <del>Trinity</del> pretty much any Caribbean school can get you there.

If you want a U.S. medical license and/or career as a practicing physician, the odds change dramatically to your detriment.

Last edited:
If you want to go to medical school and earn an MD, Trinity can get you there.

If you want a U.S. medical license and/or career as a practicing physician, the odds change dramatically to your detriment.

That can be said of all Caribbean schools though but it's a vague assessment at best. I think some better advice would be to advise anybody looking at a Caribbean school to look into only those schools with proven track records and to stay away from a small program like Trinity which does not have any type of established success.

Reactions: 1 user
look into only those schools with proven track records and to stay away from a small program like Trinity which does not have any type of established success.

They have the same accreditation as SGU/ROSS/etc so i'm not sure you can say they aren't established.

At SGU, the original class size for the class of 2018 was ~1400; the class of 2018 match list contains only 954 names. That's roughly a 68% success rate, and that's at the most selective, highly regarded medical school in the Caribbean. The outcomes at other schools in the Caribbean, especially the newer ones (such as Trinity), are almost certainly worse.

I think it's a much better idea to simply give up on medicine than to go to a poverty-stricken island for two years and accumulate $200,000 in nondischargeable debt with relatively low odds of ever practicing as a physician. If you lack the brainpower to get a 500+ MCAT/3.4+ GPA and you lack the willpower to do an SMP, then how can you have the intelligence and the temperament required to become a competent physician?

And yes, I know that there are some excellent physicians currently practicing in the US who graduated from Caribbean medical schools. But two caveats: one, the quality of current Caribbean medical students is lower than it has ever been before because new DO schools are snatching up a lot of borderline applicants -- and two, some people make impulsive, unwise decisions when they're young and then undergo positive personal transformations as they try to overcome the nightmarish obstacles they created for themselves.

At SGU, the original class size for the class of 2018 was ~1400; the class of 2018 match list contains only 954 names. That's roughly a 68% success rate, and that's at the most selective, highly regarded medical school in the Caribbean. The outcomes at other schools in the Caribbean, especially the newer ones (such as Trinity), are almost certainly worse.

I think it's a much better idea to simply give up on medicine than to go to a poverty-stricken island for two years and accumulate $200,000 in nondischargeable debt with relatively low odds of ever practicing as a physician. If you lack the brainpower to get a 500+ MCAT/3.4+ GPA and you lack the willpower to do an SMP, then how can you have the intelligence and the temperament required to become a competent physician?

And yes, I know that there are some excellent physicians currently practicing in the US who graduated from Caribbean medical schools. But two caveats: one, the quality of current Caribbean medical students is lower than it has ever been before because new DO schools are snatching up a lot of borderline applicants -- and two, some people make impulsive, unwise decisions when they're young and then undergo positive personal transformations as they try to overcome the nightmarish obstacles they created for themselves.

I would never, with a good conscience, put St. George's University in the same sentence/phrase with any other Caribbean school. I think some of you guys need to figure that out first.

I will point out again that you guys are fixated on the "original class size" so that you can enhance whatever biased argument you are trying to contrive but nobody who actually applies to these schools thinks like that. The people who apply want to be one of those people who do match. When you have that type of attitude, you do things differently and if you do things differently enough, you will eclipse those who enter these programs who clearly do not know what they are doing. Does that makes sense?

Yes, you might have 1400 people who matriculate but ask yourself how many of those 1400 REALLY belong anywhere near medical school. If over 900 of those actually became doctors, I'd say SGU was a damn good school.

they actually still lack California approval as well as ny recognition

they actually still lack California approval as well as ny recognition

I think you just answered your own question then.

If you noticed they lacked those accreditations, then that information must be of importance to you.