Triple Board (peds/psych/child psych) and fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpkall

Darwin Award Winner
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has any opinions on whether triple board residents are as competitive for peds fellowships as categorical peds-only residents... Or whether these grads should just stick to child psychiatry when they're done?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious if anyone has any opinions on whether triple board residents are as competitive for peds fellowships as categorical peds-only residents... Or whether these grads should just stick to child psychiatry when they're done?

Thanks!
What sort of fellowship are you asking about? You mean a non-psych fellowship? Triple-boarding to then go into an altogether different fellowship seems like overkill, but perhaps I'm not understanding the question.

I doubt triple boarders are less or more competetive based solely on their triple-board status. I would imagine that, like everyone else, their competetiveness would be based on their performance in their residency and other factors (research, publications) that can augment one's resume. If you think another subspecialty may be interesting to you I would caution about doing the T-B.
I related my opinion about doing these residencies in another thread ( http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=437867 ). In summary, I think the programs can be great for the right person, but a great deal of consideration should be made in choosing a triple board program.