trisemester VS quarter system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fakesmile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are they the same thing?

Members don't see this ad.

then why don't we call it the Quarmester system

Members don't see this ad :)
semester = 2 terms, maybe also summer and winter sessions
trimester= 3 terms, maybe also summer session
quarter= 4 terms, maybe also summer and winter sessions.

no

Quarter system is Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer sessions. Isn't that the same as the trimester system?

Quarter system is Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer sessions. Isn't that the same as the trimester system?

I don't thinks it works that way. One of my friends says he's on trimester system and I *think* he said he actually has three terms and no summer session. I may be wrong though.

all the quarter systems i know of are like semester, but divided in 2. idk, i'm on semester.

Nope. Semester system schools have summer sessions too.

Quarter system we are in school fall term, winter term and spring term. 3 sets of finals, 10 week terms + finals week. Summer term is optional, We have three summer sessions so you can do a whole accelerated series in one summer.

The real question is, which is harder? 3 sets of finals for 10 weeks of material, or 2 sets for 15 weeks.

all the quarter systems i know of are like semester, but divided in 2. idk, i'm on semester.

I was at a quarter system school, and it was 3 quarters during the regular school year, and then summer. Maybe quarter system means something different to different schools?

Nope. Semester system schools have summer sessions too.

Quarter system we are in school fall term, winter term and spring term. 3 sets of finals, 10 week terms + finals week. Summer term is optional, We have three summer sessions so you can do a whole accelerated series in one summer.

The real question is, which is harder? 3 sets of finals for 10 weeks of material, or 2 sets for 15 weeks.

Do you go to PSU?

Im doing my post-bacc at PSU but I did my undergrad in math at UO.

Go ducks!

(both my parents are beavs...)

I am pretty upset that the Beavs didnt get the Rose bowl bid... if they would have just showed up for the civil war game.

Im doing my post-bacc at PSU but I did my undergrad in math at UO.

Go ducks!

(both my parents are beavs...)

I am pretty upset that the Beavs didnt get the Rose bowl bid... if they would have just showed up for the civil war game.

I go to a school with quarters, but summer quarter isn't really attended by most (like a summer session at a semester school). I think timing wise quarters are equivalent to trimesters (10 week periods).

quarter = academic year is fall, winter, and spring quarters. each is 10 weeks long, followed by finals week. summer quarter is also 10 weeks + finals. i've seen summer quarter divided into two 5 week periods, so if you're crazy, you could take two quarters worth of o-chem (or any other class) during one summer session.

semester = academic year is fall and spring semester. each is 16 weeks long + finals week. i've seen winter "intersessions" which are in between, but it appeared to overlap with the spring semester, or something of the sort. i've seen summer sessions lasting anywhere from 5.5 - 8 weeks.

trimester = the last time i had this sort of system was in middle school. yeah candle-making!

Last edited:
quarter doesn't necessary mean 10 weeks. i go to a quarter system school. fall = 13 weeks and winter/spring = 11 weeks, so i guess it depends on the school.

umich is trimester. they have fall/winter/spring/summer. only fall and winter are compulsory the other two are optional. *i think no guarantees*

quarter doesn't necessary mean 10 weeks. i go to a quarter system school. fall = 13 weeks and winter/spring = 11 weeks, so i guess it depends on the school.

Yeah, this is how my school works. This is probably not part of the original post, but quarter system has its ups and downs. Pluses are that you can switch out of a really boring class in a few weeks and it's probably easier to raise your gpa since you start new classes three, maybe four times a year. Cons to quarter is that a good class also goes by too fast and if you fall behind, it's hard to catch up. Also, finals three times a year are a drag too.