Trouble Deciding b/w Dental School and Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med vs Dent

• Medical

Votes: 31 68.9%
  • Dental

Votes: 14 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mgc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've recently been stuck deciding between medical school and dental school. I've spent countless hours reading SDN forums and I still can't seem to come to a decision. I spent the summer shadowing an OMFS and dental clinic in NY and for the most part I spent the majority of my time with the OMFS residents. I got to observe orthognathic cases, maxillofacial trauma , implant, extractions, TMJ cases, etc. I loved the OR and OMFS. However, watching the dental procedures was so damn boring... the whole time I was in the clinic I was praying that an OR case would come up. I doubt I would feel the same if I was actually in dental training and operating myself, however watching this stuff was brutal.

This got me thinking... should I attend dental school with the sole purpose of specializing in OMFS? I KNOW that it is the most competitive specialty and that does not worry me one bit (I am a hardcore gunner and I'll get anything I set my mind to). I just don't know if I'd be happy in general dentistry - Who knows? I could be after going through the training and I'm sure that getting good at dental procedures after so many frustrating hours of practice is rewarding. I don't believe somebody can be born wanting to practice dentistry and loving teeth, that is pure BS. Everyone I've spoken to that is doing dental is doing it because of the lifestyle/$$$ that comes along with it (Take the salary away from dentistry and see how many dental school spots get filled). I feel that the passion is developed in training and further in practice and there comes the love for the field.

Now for the Medicine part: it def has more to offer in terms of opportunities, however there seems to be a ton of issues with the field and it is worrying me. Gov't intervention/insurance and the # of unhappy docs appears to be rising. I keep hearing of doctors that recommend going into other fields of healthcare, malpractice costs/lawsuits, dealing with difficult patients, etc... all this general info that appears and reappears time and time again on this forum.

Aside from the issues, I think medicine has a lot to offer. The cases are interesting and you get to see/do some incredible things. I like diagnostic component of medicine as well as the option of a wide variety of specialties (surgical and non-surgical). Also, I am not an artistic person and I have no idea if I'll be any good with my hands -- so if I end up sucking, I can still succeed in medicine, although the same can not be said with dentistry. The severity of medical cases also appeals to me (life/death, cancer, traumas, medical management, etc.) I've always had a leader personality and I like working under high pressure.

Thus, given all these factors and my situation: would you recommend to go Dental, try it (possibly like it once I begin the training), with the option of OMFS (which I abs loved when shadowing) OR go the medical route with a wide range of options.

Has anybody been in a similar situation? What do you guys think?

Thanks for reading through this and helping me out.

Best, MC

Members don't see this ad.

if one is going through 4 years of grueling training and investing an average of 300K, i think its fair to say they expect some type of return on their investment. As should everyone. In every profession. To say that is the only reason people want to do dentistry doesn't seem fair.

I suggest shadowing more people in medical and see if you have the same passion as you do for OMFS. If nothing really clicks or you don't like it in general (wasn't a fan of being responsible for peoples lives), than the answer should be easy.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sorry bud, but its the truth. The majority of pre-dents are going into dental school for the $$/lifestyle. I have no problem with that, but I hate when people try to cover up their true motives and start giving me cheesy stories of how much they teeth. I call BS every time - don't care what anyone says. Sure you might come to love dentistry - but until one actually starts dental training, I doubt they can find a deep inner fueling passion by looking a dentist treat patients. Not saying this is every person, but I would venture to say that it is a good percentage of the pre-dental population and 100% of every pre-dental student I know.

MC

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry bud, but its the truth. The majority of pre-dents are going into dental school for the $$/lifestyle. I have no problem with that, but I hate when people try to cover up their true motives and start giving me cheesy stories of how much they teeth. I call BS every time - don't care what anyone says. Sure you might come to love dentistry - but until one actually starts dental training, I doubt they can find a deep inner fueling passion by looking a dentist treat patients. Not saying this is every person, but I would venture to say that it is about 80-90% of the pre-dental population and 100% of every pre-dental student I know.

MC
You got some real cojones coming on here and making up those numbers and throwing some wild accusations. Buzz off, go to med school. I'm sure 100% of dental students don't appreciate what you just said.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
It seems like you have some serious insecurities man. I'm giving you my opinion and if you don't like it then...

Once again, I started as a pre-dental student and am still considering dentistry. I don't know why I'd choose to go into a field that I don't have any respect for???
I have a great deal of appreciation for both fields and am simply trying to make the right choice.

Anyways, I was wondering if we can focus on my question. Thanks...

MC

It seems like you have some serious insecurities man. I'm giving you my opinion and if you don't like it then...

Once again, I started as a pre-dental student and am still considering dentistry. I don't know why I'd choose to go into a field that I don't have any respect for???
I have a great deal of appreciation for both fields and am simply trying to make the right choice.

MC
So you appreciate the dental field but you think there is no way that the vast, vast majority of us love teeth? So I guess dental students get frustrated every time their professors tell them to study teeth 24/7 and touch teeth in the clinic. Right? Imagine the horror on their faces when they get to touch teeth on real people instead of mannequins! /s

To answer your question, you probably have a better chance of going to med school and getting into head and neck surgery then going to dental school and gunning for OMFS. Seriously.

At least you won't come in contact with teeth all that much going the med route.

Call up the hospital and ask to shadow some head and neck surgeons.

Reactions: 1 users
Go med. Can still focus on the head surgery in med, no?

The making of one miserable puppy.

Reactions: 4 users
Maybe you should do general surgery as a medical doctor. You should like general dentistry if you go to dental school because, take it from a first year dental student, DENTAL SCHOOL IS HARD! And you may not get the A+ grades necessary to get into an OMFS residency, so you have to be happy as a general practicioner and enjoy it enough to keep patients happy to choose you over another dentist. If you do decide to go to dental school, make sure you go to a school like Penn or Columbia with high OMFS match rates so you will have a better chance to get into your chosen specialty.

I just don't believe that the majority of dental students come into school loving teeth. As you learn and dig deeper, you gain appreciation and the passion grows. Can you honestly tell me that the majority of dental students are applying to dental school because of their love for teeth? BS. That's like saying colorectal surgeons, urologists, gastros, ob/gyns, etc. were born liking the body parts in which they work. After they undergo the training, learn the complex anatomies/pathology, procedures etc... they gain completely different perspectives.

I have nothing against teeth... I wrote in my initial post that I loved my OMFS shadowing experience (a DENTAL specialty) and that IDK, I might come to like dentistry after starting the training. My entire reason for not scratching off dentistry is that I don't know if I liked general dentistry procedures enough from my current shadowing experiences to commit my life to the field. However, it is my belief that after starting dental training, taking coursework, practicing hours upon hours in the sim-lab, etc... I might actually come to enjoy it. This is my reason for posting and asking others if they'd been in similar situations. No need for sarcasm or pointless comments like "The making of one miserable puppy". I'm not trying to upset anyone. I'm looking for suggestions and help (I thought that was the purpose of this forum?)

No need to be so soft.

You're getting a lot of negative responses because you are making a lot of assumptions here. Your post makes it seem like predents are only in it for the money, whereas the premeds are inspired by an interest in the human body and their eagerness to help others. You don't think that predents are like this as well? Do you think all premeds apply because they have a genuine interest in medicine? For a lot of students interested in dentistry, its not exactly the teeth that interest them but rather the nature of the profession itself. I have been in your shoes, interested in helping others in some way and I shadowed dentists and physicians. Getting some exposure to both fields led me to choose dentistry. I liked the idea of working with my hands and being able to directly fix the problem. And I realized that oral anatomy and dental procedures was more interesting than I initially thought. Sure I can do surgery, but the extra years of training, the hospital environment, dealing with death...those things simply did not appeal to me.

In your case, it seems like you don't mind these aspects of medicine so it seems like a pretty viable option for you. You also don't seem to be interested in dentistry aside from the money and lifestyle and if thats really the case then I suggest you don't go into dentistry. OMFS is cool, but like others have suggested you can find interesting surgical specialties in medicine too.

Reactions: 6 users
Go to dental school:

-chicks are hotter
-all the dental bros I know are way cooler

serious list
- working with your hands is awesome
- it feels very nice to be in a field that combines the above with the ability to develop some sort of rapport over the long term with your patient base
- a nice mix of getting to use your business savvy
- and of course lifestyle

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your comment. I've worked in finance for a few years so I can tell you I'm not chasing money. There are certainly many attractive parts of dentistry; can fix issues on the spot and see tangible results, patients are generally relived from pain after dental care and that can be greatly rewarding, autonomy of being a business owner and having your own business model and be your own boss, can sleep good at night knowing a patient won't die from one of your decisions, being able to constantly expand your offerings via CE courses, dealing with different aged patients and establishing relationships, financial stability/job stability.

These are things that make dentistry a great choice and one that I'm HEAVILY considering. Not for the love of teeth, but what comes with the profession. The problem is that I got bored when shadowing GPR residents and was wondering if some dental students might have felt the same way I did when they were originally doing their shadowing, but decided to attend dental school anyways and now found a love for it.

The problem is that I much rather watch a BSSO or lefort rather than a class II prep. That's when I began to question whether it is smart to pursue dentistry with the sole purpose of OMFS.

Through further thought and exploration, I began to think about medicine and all the various opportunities.

Now I've reached a fork in the road and was hoping SDN could give me some aid in the decision making process.

MC

watching and doing are very two very different things. While it may seem that I'm telling you the obvious, it's one of those things that becomes difficult to translate. As a med student watching anesthesia was incredibly boring; I fell asleep talking to an an attending once. However, once I became the doctor and became more involved in the cerebral aspects of the field as well as having consequences for my actions I started to realize what I wasn't picking up on as a student.

Same goes for dental; you may find it fun once the instruments are in your hand. Unfortunately, no amount of shadowing will let you feel the thrill of being the one in the driver's seat.

watching and doing are very two very different things. While it may seem that I'm telling you the obvious, it's one of those things that becomes difficult to translate. As a med student watching anesthesia was incredibly boring; I fell asleep talking to an an attending once. However, once I became the doctor and became more involved in the cerebral aspects of the field as well as having consequences for my actions I started to realize what I wasn't picking up on as a student.

Same goes for dental; you may find it fun once the instruments are in your hand. Unfortunately, no amount of shadowing will let you feel the thrill of being the one in the driver's seat.

Thank you for this. Exactly the type of comment I was looking for.

My advice would be to not use an online poll in a dental forum to choose between two broadly different career paths.

And your opinion about the money/lifetstyle of a dentist being the reason for dental school, you do realize that most dental students expect 300k+ in debt, right?

Wasn't using the poll as a final deciding factor... just wanted to have a quantifiable measure of peoples' opinions.

Also, I'm quite aware of the debt and If you read my posts above you can see how I am not choosing dentistry for the money/lifestyle. Those things don't really matter to me atm. I think any doctor or dentist will do just fine. This post is not even remotely about the reason ppl go to dental school.

Jeez. Imagine it is the read comp part of the DAT and just try to understand what I'm asking.

Wasn't using the poll as a final deciding factor... just wanted to have a quantifiable measure of peoples' opinions.

Also, I'm quite aware of the debt and If you read my posts above you can see how I am not choosing dentistry for the money/lifestyle. Those things don't really matter to me atm. I think any doctor or dentist will do just fine. This post is not even remotely about the reason ppl go to dental school.

Jeez. Imagine it is the read comp part of the DAT and just try to understand what I'm asking.
I'm hundred percent serious when I say this. ASK YOUR PARENTS. :)

So you come here, asking for help. Instead you present your vague, insulting generalization of dentists and money, presenting them as "sorry bud it's the truth" as though it were fact, continue to insult everyone who gives you help, and barely sneak one thanks. To finish up you say "exactly the type of comment I was looking for." If you knew the answer you wanted, what was the point of coming on here and being a dick to everyone? Did you just need one person to confirm your opinion that shadowing might be more boring than actually practicing dentistry?

You literally say "no need for sarcasm and pointless comments." Yet call people insecure, soft, say our advice doesn't matter, complain were not focusing on you, and then make sarcastic quips. Dental or medical, I can't wait for you to be my healthcare provider!

Reactions: 11 users
You claim that you respect the dental profession, but you certainly don't respect your would-be colleagues. Go to med school please.

MC
I would agree with money be a strong motivator but I think you missed a strong point many people have when choosing dentistry. I don't know at which point I fully recognized it myself but dentistry as a whole gives you the opportunity to directly influence a patient's health and well being. Whether it be treating an abscess, root canal, etc. Or fixing a patient's smile so they can feel happy about themselves, this has to be the most rewarding aspect in my mind. Every day you go to work you're using your knowledge and expertise in a chair to create/modify something novel that you as a dentist can take pride in and say to your old college buddies "yea I just finished my patient's full mouth reconstruction today, what'd you do today"? Outside of most surgical specialties, I would say most doctors have a more passive treatment when patients come in with said illness or disorder. Prescribe medicine. Repeat. Most physician roles don't give the opportunity of developing long term patient relationships either. Obviously I'm a bit biased but this is my perspective of being a dentist.

If you want to REALLY be a OMFS take the back door route and go to medical school and apply to a residency program afterwards

Hey dude,

I'll say that, at least from my experience, you're right. I didn't love teeth when I started pursuing dentistry and your colorectal surgeons comment is pretty accurate (and hilarious). I think the biggest thing that got me passionate about dentistry was after I volunteered. You gotta watch these people (dentists, hygienists, assistants) give their time to help people out; its pretty awesome. They're happy to improve their community and give back. When I observed I was bored too once in a while, its kind of hard not to be. Its like your big brother playing video games, and you only have one controller. On top of that he's playing some obscure japanese video game you've never heard about and don't understand wtf is going on. My advice is observe the actual dentist, does he/she seem interested in what they're doing? Are they just going through the motions or are they passionate about what they do? Don't just rely on one either, theres always a bad apple. Don't be afraid to ask questions either, about their thoughts on the field, not what they're doing. Once you get to know a dentist, its okay to be candid and ask if they ever lose interest in what they're doing over time. One thing I did learn was that every patient is different, and even if you're dealing with cavities all day each situation is different and involves critical thinking and application of skills that you can only master over a lifetime.

That being said, I think you'd be happier in med school. Sounds like you're the type that is well motivated. A real "go getter" as an old man would say. You'll have a lot more opportunities to branch out in med school. You're thinking OMFS now but who knows later? Maybe you'll develop a great passion for proctology (joke)! Thats just my thought. You're interested in the surgical aspect of dentistry but will you be happy to settle as a general dentist should something happen? OR would you rather finish with an MD and go from there?

I'd like to point out that although I didn't enjoy most of the non-acute forms of medicine I would definitely not call them passive. Calling it "just prescribing medicine" is an understatement analogous to most people saying dentist just clean teeth. We know both of these things are false. A good family practice/internal medicine practitioner plays a big role in preventing some of the horrifying sequelae of things we understate such as simple hypertension and diabetes

I just don't believe that the majority of dental students come into school loving teeth. As you learn and dig deeper, you gain appreciation and the passion grows. Can you honestly tell me that the majority of dental students are applying to dental school because of their love for teeth? BS. That's like saying colorectal surgeons, urologists, gastros, ob/gyns, etc. were born liking the body parts in which they work. After they undergo the training, learn the complex anatomies/pathology, procedures etc... they gain completely different perspectives.

One of the big differences between those of us going to dental school and those going to medical school is that we know that we will be general dentists upon graduating. Med students know that they will be doctors but they won't know which specialty until they apply for and get accepted into a residency. For medical school you are advised to shadow as many specialties as you can who get a feel for the many branches of medicine. In additional to that, clinical experience is HEAVILY looked at so a student knows what he/she is getting into. Not every med student can be a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon. One of the biggest drawbacks of medical school is that not everyone is guaranteed a specialty/residency of their choice. A student gunning for derm can easily be brought down by low Step scores, poor grades, poor clinical skills, bad LORs, etc. If this happens that student better find another specialty to "like".

Obviously, not every OBGYN, gastro, family med whatever wanted to go into that specialty. Some are there because they do love it, either from shadowing/working from the premed years or during clinical rotations in the later yrs of med school and chose willingly to enter. But some are there because they really had no other choice since they were not competitive for other fields. Why do you think med students are always freaking out about STEP I?

Dentistry faces no such drawback. Again, dental students know what they are going to be so why apply to a career you do not like? There is a reason why most dental schools want a minimum of a 100 hours of shadowing a general dentist. Lets not forget that dental specialists are still dealing with TEETH. Prostho, endo, ortho, teeth all day baby. Lastly, there is a reason why most, if not all, dental schools ask interviewees "Why dentistry?". If you don't like teeth, which makes up a significant portion of oral health, then why on earth would they accept you when they literally have hundreds of potential students eager to get in?

If you want to keep comparing med and dent, last time I checked those in dentistry seemed way happier.

Why do you think we're always smiling?

Preeeeeeetty sure this guy made this post just piss people off. Nobody is this dumb.

-Grade-A Troll

:troll:

Hello all,
However, watching the dental procedures was so damn boring... the whole time I was in the clinic I was praying that an OR case would come up. I doubt I would feel the same if I was actually in dental training and operating myself, however watching this stuff was brutal.

I KNOW that it is the most competitive specialty and that does not worry me one bit (I am a hardcore gunner and I'll get anything I set my mind to). I just don't know if I'd be happy in general dentistry - Who knows? I could be after going through the training and I'm sure that getting good at dental procedures after so many frustrating hours of practice is rewarding. I don't believe somebody can be born wanting to practice dentistry and loving teeth, that is pure BS. Everyone I've spoken to that is doing dental is doing it because of the lifestyle/$$$ that comes along with it (Take the salary away from dentistry and see how many dental school spots get filled). I feel that the passion is developed in training and further in practice and there comes the love for the field.

Aside from the issues, I think medicine has a lot to offer. The cases are interesting and you get to see/do some incredible things. I like diagnostic component of medicine as well as the option of a wide variety of specialties (surgical and non-surgical). Also, I am not an artistic person and I have no idea if I'll be any good with my hands -- so if I end up sucking, I can still succeed in medicine, although the same can not be said with dentistry. The severity of medical cases also appeals to me (life/death, cancer, traumas, medical management, etc.) I've always had a leader personality and I like working under high pressure.

Good Lord, GTFO. Dental school will be quite boring for you if you cannot stand observing basic procedures... LOL at the fact that you assume you're a shoe-in for an OMFS residency. "Gunner" or not - I'm sure they will base some of their decision on let's say... I don't know... personality? Letters of rec? Interview? ... And from the looks of you storming in on this forum and tearing apart anyone who gives you criticism - doesn't seem like you'd do too hot in those situations.

And yes, not everyone "loves" teeth. But I'd wager that majority of pre-dents are INTERESTED in them at the very least. They KNOW very well that they are committing a minimum of 4 years of their life around the damn mouth, so YEAH they better at least have some interest. In med school, you're exposed to everything under the sun - therefore repetition goes out the window. But in dental, its primarily teeth land for years, so you better get accustomed to having a fancy for them. After all, they are your money-makers. (Because you know, we're all so obsessed with making $$$ even though many people will be 300k+ in debt....) Granted, its NOT the only factor in choosing dentistry. Obviously you need to want to work with people day in and day out, improve yourself and your skills throughout your career, and respect differences of opinion and *ahem* politely agree to disagree when a patient or colleague thinks differently than you.

Dentists also diagnose too! Maybe if you weren't too bored from shadowing, you'd know that. Its not limited to medicine. They can diagnose periodontal status, infections, caries, etc. Soooo.... there's that.

You are a self-proclaimed leader. God help those who choose to follow you into your path of arrogance. Get off your high horse. If you can't take the criticism from people you deliberately offended, then you obviously won't "work under high pressure" very well or work efficiently in a team, for that matter.

This isn't a "DENTAL IS BETTER THAN MED" rant, because frankly, I don't think the pre-meds will like you all that much either. So buzz off.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Preeeeeeetty sure this guy made this post just piss people off. Nobody is this dumb.

-Grade-A Troll

:troll:

I think you're right, and he managed to get a rise out of me. What have I done?!
tumblr_mw0uy5bgON1sezoa7o1_400.gif

All the BS aside here, it sounds like medicine would be a better fit for you. After the four years if you are still interested in OMFS you could do still do head and neck stuff (ENT, head and neck surgeon, plastics, etc).

Medical school offers more potential breadth of options for the future, which seems to be beneficial for your situation.

Dentistry is an awesome field that offers a lot of personal and financial benefits (similar to medical school), but it definitely helps if you find the daily activities of being a dentist interesting.

In regards to your comments about no one doing dentistry without the high salary, do you think this is not also largely true of medical school or any profession that has a long educational road with relatively high stress and higher than average liability?

Hello all,

I've recently been stuck deciding between medical school and dental school. I've spent countless hours reading SDN forums and I still can't seem to come to a decision. I spent the summer shadowing an OMFS and dental clinic in NY and for the most part I spent the majority of my time with the OMFS residents. I got to observe orthognathic cases, maxillofacial trauma , implant, extractions, TMJ cases, etc. I loved the OR and OMFS. However, watching the dental procedures was so damn boring... the whole time I was in the clinic I was praying that an OR case would come up. I doubt I would feel the same if I was actually in dental training and operating myself, however watching this stuff was brutal.

This got me thinking... should I attend dental school with the sole purpose of specializing in OMFS? I KNOW that it is the most competitive specialty and that does not worry me one bit (I am a hardcore gunner and I'll get anything I set my mind to). I just don't know if I'd be happy in general dentistry - Who knows? I could be after going through the training and I'm sure that getting good at dental procedures after so many frustrating hours of practice is rewarding. I don't believe somebody can be born wanting to practice dentistry and loving teeth, that is pure BS. Everyone I've spoken to that is doing dental is doing it because of the lifestyle/$$$ that comes along with it (Take the salary away from dentistry and see how many dental school spots get filled). I feel that the passion is developed in training and further in practice and there comes the love for the field.

Now for the Medicine part: it def has more to offer in terms of opportunities, however there seems to be a ton of issues with the field and it is worrying me. Gov't intervention/insurance and the # of unhappy docs appears to be rising. I keep hearing of doctors that recommend going into other fields of healthcare, malpractice costs/lawsuits, dealing with difficult patients, etc... all this general info that appears and reappears time and time again on this forum.

Thus, given all these factors and my situation: would you recommend to go Dental, try it (possibly like it once I begin the training), with the option of OMFS (which I abs loved when shadowing) OR go the medical route with a wide range of options.

Best, MC
There are people who entered dental school for the sole purpose of pursuing OMFS. So long as you have a strong potential for ranking high among your classmates, having such a goal is not frowned upon, at least not by me. It is strongly discouraged among the admission committee and I don't advise admitting such goals during your interview. The popular argument against the selection of a specialty prior to dental school is that practicing a little bit from that specialty during dental school is some sort of pre-requisite to wanting to pursue any specialty. I don't think that is fair because we're were just as ignorant by never having practiced dentistry when we applied to dental school to become a dentist.

I've met a few people who attended or are attending dental school solely for pursuing OMFS (residents or highly ranked dental students), and they all shared the same complaint that general dentistry bore them for the most part. You will likely find yourself having the same opinion when you are drilling and filling for 4 years. Although in an ideal world, you shouldn't suffer through any education path you choose, you will likely need to muster great stamina if you don't think you'll enjoy general dentistry in dental school. As an extra tid-pit, there's a school in the midwest that offers two OMFS programs, one's a 4-year and the other is a 6-year program. At the interview, the 4-year program will try to convince you to attend the 6-year program and the 6-year program will do vice-versa. The reason why they do this is to assess whether or not you know yourself enough to determine what you want in a career. Since you are deciding on a specialty so early, you have to be absolute in your career choice. The people I've met who attended dental school solely for OMFS wanted nothing else. They wanted no other career in dentistry or medicine, not even ENT or plastics. Hopefully, you can find motivations to such a laser-focused aspiration.

Last edited:
Just focusing on your question and not the other BS you said, I'm the opposite of you. I was Pre-Med for the longest time, and mostly because I always wanted to be a surgeon growing up. The only problem though was that I hated the idea of being a general doctor, because it always looked so boring. I ended up accidentally volunteering at the OMS department of my school's hospital and fell in love with it. I quickly switched to dentistry after I shadowed some general dentists, because this is how I saw it: I wanted to be a surgeon my entire life because I would get to work with my hands. If I went to Med School and didn't have the grades to specialize and become a surgeon, I'd be doing stuff I hated. If I go to Dental School and don't have the grades to specialize, I'll be doing dental procedures, which are basically like mini-surgeries anyway. Dentistry offered me a guaranteed way to work with my hand, whereas medicine didn't do the same.

I don't love teeth, but I do enjoy the procedures that dentists do. They seem to be fun, and everything else about the profession is awesome. That's why I picked dentistry.

Just focusing on your question and not the other BS you said, I'm the opposite of you. I was Pre-Med for the longest time, and mostly because I always wanted to be a surgeon growing up. The only problem though was that I hated the idea of being a general doctor, because it always looked so boring. I ended up accidentally volunteering at the OMS department of my school's hospital and fell in love with it. I quickly switched to dentistry after I shadowed some general dentists, because this is how I saw it: I wanted to be a surgeon my entire life because I would get to work with my hands. If I went to Med School and didn't have the grades to specialize and become a surgeon, I'd be doing stuff I hated. If I go to Dental School and don't have the grades to specialize, I'll be doing dental procedures, which are basically like mini-surgeries anyway. Dentistry offered me a guaranteed way to work with my hand, whereas medicine didn't do the same.

I don't love teeth, but I do enjoy the procedures that dentists do. They seem to be fun, and everything else about the profession is awesome. That's why I picked dentistry.
When you said you don't love teeth, does that mean you don't like to work with teeth?
I can't imagine a chef saying he/she doesn't love food but the joy of boiling, cutting, frying, etc.
Sounds kinda wrong to me.

There are people who entered dental school for the sole purpose of pursuing OMFS. So long as you have a strong potential for ranking high among your classmates, having such a goal is not frowned upon, at least not by me. It is strongly discouraged among the admission committee and I don't advise admitting such goals during your interview. The popular argument against the selection of a specialty prior to dental school is that practicing a little bit from that specialty during dental school is some sort of pre-requisite to wanting to pursue any specialty. I don't think that is fair because we're were just as ignorant by never having practiced dentistry when we applied to dental school to become a dentist.

I've met a few people who attended or are attending dental school solely for pursuing OMFS (residents or highly ranked dental students), and they all shared the same complaint that general dentistry bore them for the most part. You will likely find yourself having the same opinion when you are drilling and filling for 4 years. Although in an ideal world, you shouldn't suffer through any education path you choose, you will likely need to muster great stamina if you don't think you'll enjoy general dentistry in dental school. As an extra tid-pit, there's a school in the midwest that offers two OMFS programs, one's a 4-year and the other is a 6-year program. At the interview, the 4-year program will try to convince you to attend the 6-year program and the 6-year program will do vice-versa. The reason why they do this is to assess whether or not you know yourself enough to determine what you want in a career. Since you are deciding on a specialty so early, you have to be absolute in your career choice. The people I've met who attended dental school solely for OMFS wanted nothing else. They wanted no other career in dentistry or medicine, not even ENT or plastics. Hopefully, you can find motivations to such a laser-focused aspiration.

On the other hand, I made an effort to make sure every school I interviewed at knows I want to go into OMS. If they didnt bring it up, I will. Didn't hinder my application whatsoever.

Though I am having a bit of a dilemma with the 4-yr and 6-yr and the military.

And people should stop responding to this guy.

When you said you don't love teeth, does that mean you don't like to work with teeth?
I can't imagine a chef saying he/she doesn't love food but the joy of boiling, cutting, frying, etc.
I think what he/she may meant to say is that the subject of dental anatomy, dental physiology, dental histology, and dental developmental biology, as far as it's scope is taught in dental school, is not nearly as complex or inherently interesting as most other organs in the body. One particular organ that I find fascinating is the liver. However, the practice of dentistry can raise a person's quality of life by restoring their ability to smile and eat. This can be very fulfilling especially for someone who also enjoys manipulating instruments to make intricate, detailed, and precise three dimensional designs.

i don't think choosing a healthcare profession is similar to the way you choose a major in college. in college, you choose a major based on what topic you want to read about for four years. and really, the preparation from college is geared towards setting you up for becoming a professor...not necessarily a clinician and definitely not a surgeon
for health professions, you generally should choose a profession based on procedures and patient outcomes. the exception is if you intend on becoming a researcher or PhD, in which case you should probably pick a specialty or subject that interests you. this is how most dental students chose dentistry and that's probably why there's not a lot of dental researchers for basic science...

Last edited:
Shouldn't you have this discussion with yourself instead (and maybe with parents, advisors,etc.)? And to point out, not all med students go to med school because they love to help people, they say that because it is what the adcoms want/expect to hear. Some may go for the prestige, some may go for the money, some may just really love urethras. I think it's the same for any career that offers a wide variety of benefits. My point is, don't assume the best of what you can do, assume the worst so that you can prepare the best.

I said I don't love teeth. I mean exactly that, lol. I'm sure gastroenterologists don't love the digestive tract. Sure, the digestive tract (and in my case teeth) are awesome, but they're probably more interested in the procedures you do on the body parts themselves.

Love is such a strong word..

@mgc, I honestly don't think you're too far off the mark with the $$ comment, but obviously it will annoy people on the internet. I'll share some of my thought patterns that might be similar to what you're wondering about. Dentistry vs medicine threads pop up every once in a while, and I like the more practical take of your dilemma...

I'm not that interested in dentistry for the teeth. In fact, I'm certain I'll get bored with teeth one day if I eventually become a dentist. But lots of jobs get boring. Every job I've ever had became miserably boring to me. Professionals in seemingly interesting jobs tell me they're bored. A friend of mine is a few months from finishing his 6-year OMS program, and he's already bored with trauma and orthognathics. He's about to buy into a private practice out in the boonies and do implants and wisdom teeth for the rest of his life so he can at least buy boats and European vacations for his wife and kids and have the flexibility to do things outside of work that DO interest him.

My thought is---if there's something you love, go for it. If you don't find it and you're just looking for a good job, dentistry beats medicine.

I'm pursuing dentistry for several reasons: because of the professional benefits (no need to rehash them), because I can be good at it, and because I think I'm very good at explaining things and putting people at ease... I worked a few customer service jobs after graduating, and I found that I was good with people, but only when I could be totally honest with people and not have to sell them crap. And although patients don't know if the dentistry is actually better or not, they do know whether you seem to care about them or just have your used car sales talk down. So I see dentistry as a rare profession where conveying honest intent really pays dividends as patients come back and see you every year of their life. Every complaint I've heard from friends and family about dentists was about their personality, not their competency.

Fortunately, I've sorta had my "life's calling" moment with music. And I got a music degree, tried to do some minor things with it, and quickly discovered my real life limits. It wasn't going to take me to the professional place that was going to make me happy or support a family the way I wanted, so I changed. Now it's an awesome hobby.

I've shadowed OMS at a big university hospital and it was very interesting, but honestly I don't think I could take the hours of residency. If I were in a relationship, I'd be too depressed being separated that much, and if I were single I'd be too depressed being single that much. But, if when the time comes I find that OMS really interests me, I'll revisit that idea.

I've considered medicine, but there really was never a particular specialty that I really fell in love with, so it didn't seem like the right path. (And it doesn't help that my dad is an orthopedist who's the kind of person to suggest that medicine is not worth the headaches.)

The tone of your posts comes across as very practical and not having a lot of patience for BS. Shadow more doctors and look for something that gets inside you. If you don't find it, I say go for OMS with the option of being a general dentist. In the grand scheme of things, it's less boring than 95% of the jobs you could have, and not significantly more boring than medicine. And if you're a people person, you'll be just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
@arkenstone

Thank you for your comment. I've actually decided on going Dental and for the most part this has to do with the fact that there is no specialty in Medicine that I would choose over OMFS. Although I thought general dentistry was pretty boring when shadowing, I think my opinion will change (hopefully) upon attending dental school and actually starting the lab/clinic work. Like someone else mentioned, shadowing dentistry is nothing like practicing it and you'll never really know until you try.

As you mentioned, the sales/business end of dentistry really appeals to me as well. The few docs I've spoken to have said the same thing: that everything ultimately becomes a job. Having said that, I thought about it the same way you did and I'm choosing to go for dental. I'll try my abs best to match OMFS, however If it doesn't happen for some reason, I'll be totally fine as a GP.

The only thing that worries me is the artistic eye/crafting ability. Not sure how crucial it is for dentistry, but I have never been good at art or anything like that. I worry that I'll have a disadvantage against ppl with artistic talents. However, from reading threads it appears that dexterity can be gained with lots of practice. It might just take me extra hours in the lab to achieve the same results as someone else. I just need to know if its possible. If practice can make perfect in this profession, then I'm totally fine b.c I'm willing to work as hard as possible to succeed.

Btw, I've been producing/engineering music my entire life and I play the guitar, bass, and a tad bit of drums. I've considered audio engineering before, but like you said - It's just not practical.

To everyone who posted helpful comments - Thanks.

Now it's time to crush the DAT.

@arkenstone

The only thing that worries me is the artistic eye/crafting ability. Not sure how crucial it is for dentistry, but I have never been good at art or anything like that. I worry that I'll have a disadvantage against ppl with artistic talents. However, from reading threads it appears that dexterity can be gained with lots of practice. It might just take me extra hours in the lab to achieve the same results as someone else. I just need to know if its possible. If practice can make perfect in this profession, then I'm totally fine b.c I'm willing to work as hard as possible to succeed.
That disadvantage will disappear (or atleast diminish) as you make your way through dental school. You should be fine, however, every once in awhile someone just doesn't have the hand skills for dentistry but that seems to be less than 1% of those who get into dental school. Put in the time necessary to succeed (different for everyone) and you'll get through dental school. Best of luck.

Hello all,

Best, MC
The best way to differentiate the two field is whether you like socializing with people. Dentistry involves a lot more socializing and building networks and relationships while medicine is on the lower end. A lot of medical doctors are treating patients under sedation.

The best way to differentiate the two field is whether you like socializing with people. Dentistry involves a lot more socializing and building networks and relationships while medicine is on the lower end. A lot of medical doctors are treating patients under sedation.

perhaps you have not heard of the following fields of medicine: family medicine, internal medicine, psychiatry, pediatrics, physical medicine and rehabilitation, occupational health,

Don't go to either one until you fix your personality issue. Even if that is how you truly feel about the whole profession, at least be smart about it and not tell the people in that profession that they are in it for just the money and life style. You won't get very far with this type of attitude.

That's not what I was trying to convey in my initial post. I noted, multiple times, the great aspects to the profession and I didn't mention money/lifestyle. What I meant is that there is no way that a person chooses TEETH as the primary reason for going to dental school. I hate hearing cheesy BS from students as to why they are choosing a profession when many times you know their motives are not what they are conveying. I'm just being honest -- you have to look at a profession from each and every angle before committing to it for the rest of your life and taking on the colossal debt + interest. To choose it b.c you "love teeth" is BS and ignorant. All I can tell you is that teeth are certainly not the reason I'm going to dental school. Same as a medical student picking a specialty -- doubt they pick gastro for the dig system or proctology for the anus, orthopedics for bones, etc.. They choose they specialities for what the field has to offer: procedures, lifestyle that fits their vision, pay, if it matches their skills/personality, saturation/job market, interest, diversity/type patients/patient outcomes, practice setting, and other factors. Those are the things I've considered when choosing my field.

You can keep blasting my personality and telling me to stay away from healthcare, however it doesn't phase me one bit. All it does is further fuel my fire and motivate me. I would never think I'd get this much hate for this... but it's pretty funny so continue If you feel the need.

It seems like there are a certain few, tougher ppl on this forum that could dissect my post, understand what I was asking, and give some insight - without getting their feelings hurt.

Don't go to either one until you fix your personality issue. Even if that is how you truly feel about the whole profession, at least be smart about it and not tell the people in that profession that they are in it for just the money and life style. You won't get very far with this type of attitude.
Concur. We don't want you OP. Go be a physician. You can get by in medicine with the personality of a lamp.

Edit: The above is not intended to insult physicians. I know plenty of great, engaging, funny physicians. However, I know that it is possible to be a physician and have virtually no interaction with patients. This is not true of dentists.

Personality of a lamp? Makes no sense.

Not going to argue further and stoop down to your level.

Last edited:
To be honest, I haven't met anyone who said they wanted to go into dentistry because of their love for teeth, so I don't even know why you keep saying that. Just as you said, medical specialists do not go into their fields just for their love of specific body parts. Just because dentistry provides a stable and decent lifestyle, that's the next conclusion you come to?

I'm sure there are people with money/lifestyle as the primary motivation, but I am certain they are not in the majority. The same can be said for medicine - the naive people thinking that they'll be making bank after graduating in 4 years. There are tons of other aspects about dentistry that I am sure appeal to people, more so than the money. For me, the money/lifestyle, no lie, is a huge bonus, but not my primary motivator. Would I still want to be a dentist if the salary was not 6 figures? Sure, as long as the process doesn't cost 300K.

As for your question, I voted medical school. Not because I think you have a fat head and want you to get out of the industry, but because you never know what will happen, as in, you never know if you will like general dentistry. I don't care how gunner, smart, etc. you think you are. Never assume that you'll end up at the top of your class or that you will get into one of the most competitive specialties. You're heading down a road where your desired end result has a 5% chance of success (obviously a made up number, but the relative value stands). To get an idea, the OMFS program at my school only accepts 2-3 people A YEAR. Think about the amount of dental grads being pumped out each year vs those that get into OMFS. Yes, it's possible that you can be one of those people, but NEVER assume that you will be, especially considering the odds.

The decision is entirely up to you, and I skimmed through the thread and saw that you have decided on dentistry. Good luck to you, but don't regret your decision if you're stuck in sim lab until the wee hours of the night, wishing you could hold a scalpel.