Trouble Doing a DIY PostBacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nGozz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forum, and I think/hope this is where my topic would go.

I've been having this issue for a few years now and I was hoping someone could shed some light because I don't really know what else to do.

So, a little background, I'm originally from Los Angeles and I graduated with my degree in 2015 from UC Davis.
Unfortunately, my GPA was lower than I wanted it to be due to a few factors, but I still really want to be in the medical field.

My idea was to do a DIY PostBacc, and take a few classes at my local CC in Los Angeles, and turn some Cs in to As. (I know they won't overwrite, but I want a second shot at it).

I don't know if this is a Los Angeles County law, a California law or rule, or a national thing, but when I apply to my CC I always get the lowest/worst registration date (usually open enrollment) and I'm unable to get into the class that I need to get into because it's full by the time it's my turn to register.

For example, I took Anatomy at my local CC and it took me 3 semesters to finally be able to get in after crashing or email professors and explaining my situation and even speaking with admissions and counselors.
I've recently moved back to Los Angeles and now I'm trying to do the same thing, and again when I apply I am placed in open registration.

Apparently it's because I have over a certain amount of credits, I think it's 90 (since I'm already graduated) and because of that I am dropped into the open registration spot.
This is even if I do entrance counseling, an appointment with a counselor, etc. it just doesn't matter because of those 90 credits.

Have any of you encountered such a problem when trying to do a DIY postbac?
It's really beginning to weigh down on me because I can't get the classes I need to move on and I don't know what else to do.

Any info would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Are you restricting yourself to one CC ? Los Angeles community college district has bunch of colleges( 10 or so i believe) and you can register for all of them. There is I believe one portal where you can see class schedule for all CCs. Just pick the one that is offered first. In addition to Los Angeles look for CCs in any neighboring county. For example you can look enroll into Ventura County or Orange County depending upon where ever you live. You might have to drive a bit and yes the hassle of taking classes at different CCs , but there is no restriction in enrolling to multiple CCs and it should be able to find something you need. Some have weekend classes and some offer evening classes also.

Before I moved I had to restrict myself to 1 CC because there weren't any other CCs for miles. Now that I live in Los Angeles, I am going to try to get into any of the "umbrella' CCs that I can.

I am also registered in Ventura County, I just haven't had the chance to sign up yet because open enrollment isn't for another 2 weeks.

I just didn't want this to happen to me again, but I am seeing some hope as I have many more options living out here than before with the many CCs in the LACC district.