trouble getting in as DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

williamChenry

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been looking up some local hospital in NY, mostly Long Island (cause I want to stay here) and checking through the physicans, I came across maybe 5% DO's, the rest MD's.... will DO's have spots waiting for them at places of their choice, or will they have to go around in search of DO friendly hospitals....that's the only worry I have getting involved in Osteopathic medicine,.. I'm afraid about relocating to a locationI don't want to be.

Members don't see this ad.

Well given that DO's only make up around 4% of the total physician population in this country, if you saw 5% DO's, then thats right about equal representation. If you saw 10% DO's somewhere, then there are more DO's percentage-wise then MD's there and they are over-represented. It's purely a numbers thing, not a bias, except in a very small number of places, and that is fading fast.

williamChenry said:
i've been looking up some local hospital in NY, mostly Long Island (cause I want to stay here) and checking through the physicans, I came across maybe 5% DO's, the rest MD's.... will DO's have spots waiting for them at places of their choice, or will they have to go around in search of DO friendly hospitals....that's the only worry I have getting involved in Osteopathic medicine,.. I'm afraid about relocating to a locationI don't want to be.

There are plenty of DO friendly areas in New York, since they have NYCOM. It shouldn't be a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taus said:
Well given that DO's only make up around 4% of the total physician population in this country, if you saw 5% DO's, then that is a drop more then equal representation. If you saw 10% DO's somewhere, then there are more DO's percentage-wise then MD's there and they are over-represented. It's purely a numbers thing, not a bias, except in a very small number of places, and that is fading fast.

It's actually more like 6% DO's, and that number is increasing.

anyway......I've heard that the % of current medical students in the country is made up of around 15% DO's, so our % should be rising with every graduating class

Yeah, I was surprised to learn that while the number of practicing DO physicians is currently 5%, the students number 15%----I'm assuming it's because the number of DO schools have been increasing and not because many don't practice medicine! :eek: :smuggrin:

Anyway, with the building of new med schools, I am thinking that number could easily increase to 20%.....at this rate, DOs may finally see a bit of attention from the mainstream.

not necessarily likely....as I'm pretty sure the AMA is set to increase allopathic enrollment somehting like 15% within the next few years...I'm not sure if its a rumor or not

Taus said:
not necessarily likely....as I'm pretty sure the AMA is set to increase allopathic enrollment somehting like 15% within the next few years...I'm not sure if its a rumor or not

I've read of the study that recommended this....but it's not set in stone, it is only a recommendation now that they predict a physician shortage. However, I'm kind of skeptical anything will be done in the near future. Allo schools are increasing at a very slow rate, which is part of the reason for the success of the increase in osteo schools. Plus, osteo school sizes tend to be bigger, on avg, than allo schools, so again, I'm thinking the increase in osteo schools will outpace that of allo schools---of course, that is just conjecture from what I"ve seen. No one knows for sure how anything will happen. For all we know, they could start churning out a third medical degree in the near future......

Taus said:

Increase in DO enrollment will exceed the increase in MD enrollment, both in percentage and sheer numbers.

NonTradMed said:
No one knows for sure how anything will happen. For all we know, they could start churning out a third medical degree in the near future......

What we do know however is that most likely all of the medical graduates regardless of what degree they have will be relying on the allopathic communty to actually train all of them.

Has the osteopathic community also had a 15% increase in the number of residency positions yet?

there's about 17,000 allo medical students graduating and 3600 osteo. I think the #'s are on the AMA website...

OzDDS said:
What we do know however is that most likely all of the medical graduates regardless of what degree they have will be relying on the allopathic communty to actually train all of them.

Has the osteopathic community also had a 15% increase in the number of residency positions yet?

Excellent, excellent point. I wish more DO med students were keyed into this. As our beloved AOA allows more and more schools to open, we are increasingly indebted to the goodwill of the allopathic world for GME.

OzDDS said:

Good point. I have read that right now, there is a DO residency spot for every DO graduate. However, I have always been under the impression that DO schools cannot allow more students than there are residency places for (so they can't just double the number of DO students nation wide and not double the residency places), but I am not well versed in post-graduate medical education to say if this is true or not.

It would be a problem if DO schools were allowed to proliferate without thought to post-graduate training but luckily, there is a great deal more allo residency spots than there are medical students in this country, so it doesn't look to me like DO students are not out of a job yet. The schools I've looked at seemed not to have a problem with placing their students into residency (CCOM dean bragged about their 100% match rate in last past couple of years even), so i'm not terribly worried right now. Wait four years and I'll get back you on this!

for example, if i go to CCOM in Chicago (I'm not, but just for example) , would I be able to come back and get a residency back in NY with relative ease ..or are spots of choice tough to get

williamChenry said:
for example, if i go to CCOM in Chicago (I'm not, but just for example) , would I be able to come back and get a residency back in NY with relative ease ..or are spots of choice tough to get

aside from the ultra competitive residencies like derm or opthalmalogy, i don't think you'd have trouble getting a residency in ny coming from ccom. ccom releases their match list info, too.

exlawgrl, how about NYCOM? cause that's a more probably choice for me than CCOM

williamChenry said:
exlawgrl, how about NYCOM? cause that's a more probably choice for me than CCOM

i think nycom releases their match data, too. if you look in the residency match list thread, i know nycom has some info. my understanding is that nycom grads do pretty well matching in new york.

sorry to keep pestering......

i was doing a search to try and find a thread with NYCOM residency matching...can't seem to find it...anyone have a link or know where I can find it?