trouble with the law/getting your license ???

Started by rja03004
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rja03004

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here is the story I got charged with a felony (possesion of class A with intent to distribute about 4 years ago, when i was 18). Those charges were then decreased to a misdemeanor possesion charge and I was NOT found guilty, but I received a continous without a finding. I am now 22 and since then I have been admitted into pharmacy school and I am wondering if this will have any affect on me getting a job in the future.

I had assumed in the past that this would not matter since I was never convicted but I still worry about this all the time. It really bothers me considering it was one of the things where I was honestly just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I could go back to court and attempt to get this sealed, but I am not sure if that would do any good so again any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 
You might want to call the board of pharmacy of your state and ask what their views are regarding your situation but don't reveal your identity.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is up with the sudden flood of people with criminal histories asking questions about it?

Maybe this needs to be in the FAQ.
 
rja03004 said:
Here is the story I got charged with a felony (possesion of class A with intent to distribute about 4 years ago, when i was 18). Those charges were then decreased to a misdemeanor possesion charge and I was NOT found guilty, but I received a continous without a finding. I am now 22 and since then I have been admitted into pharmacy school and I am wondering if this will have any affect on me getting a job in the future.

I had assumed in the past that this would not matter since I was never convicted but I still worry about this all the time. It really bothers me considering it was one of the things where I was honestly just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I could go back to court and attempt to get this sealed, but I am not sure if that would do any good so again any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What you should do is call the Board of Pharmacy in the state where you will attend pharmacy school and also the state where you intend to practice and pose the question to them with details, but like the other poster said, under anonymity. Also, prior to applying for licensure, you might want to hire a lawyer to review your record and advise of you of the proper way to set your record straight.

One thing that you need to keep in mind that your prior criminal record might not bar you from licensure, but you must be candid with the Board and disclose your misdemeanor. Lack of candor will automatically disqualify you from licensure in many instances due to a propensity for untruthfulness (in the eyes of the Board). Always be forthcoming. Many mistakes can be overlooked as the folly of youth, youthful transgressions, stupidity, etc., but dishonesty in the application process will brand you as a liar and fraud. Make sure you have copies of all court records indicating the final disposition of your case four years ago. You will need to provide the Board of Pharmacy with these records when you apply for your professional license.

Also, keep in mind, often times, the Board will compare your license application with your professional school application and will compare them. If you lied to get into school, it may disqualify you for licensure later even though the offense itself woudn't preclude licensure.

I would think a drug-related misdemeanor would be a red flag for a future pharmacist, so you really should consult the Board and an attorney to make sure your record is set straight. You can pay a fee and have your local police/sheriff department do a LEIN (Law Enforcement Information Network) criminal check on you to see what comes up. The Board of Pharmacy will do one of these LEIN checks when you apply for your license.
 
To the OP, did you mean "continuance without finding"? Doesn't that mean that if you keep out of the trouble the whole thing goes away? You might want to talk to your attorney to find out when (or if) this will be resolved in your favor. It was four years ago and I don't think continuances are indefinite (but I'm not a lawyer.)

I'm assuming you have an attorney since the average Joe on the street goes to jail and doesn't get a continuance.
 
I had a few classmates with similar situations. Don't worry - your situation will become apparent when they do your fingerprints for application to take the state board exam. They will see your arrest & the disposition of your case - you won't be able to be anynomous (sp?).

However, not all is lost. You aren't the first! You'll get an advisor when you get to pharmacy school. This person will be your very best friend & will help you get thru this situation. Be up front & open. The only thing you have to worry about is if you lied on your application. That is far worse than your drug arrest!!!!!!!

Most states will allow you to take the state board exam, but may require you to make a statement or appear before they approve a license. Some may require you to do this before the exam. You'll know this well in advance because you'll need to provide your fingerprints to obtain a tech license.

Now....you MUST live a clean & open life. Don't do ANYTHING which will compromise your situation - this includes drinking, disorderly conduct - ANYTHING.

Good luck!
 
I didn't mean you can'' drink.....just don't get arrested for intoxication or dui! Sorry!
 
Just to clarify I was originally charged with a felony. This was immediately dropped to a misdemeanor when I got a lawyer and went to court. One thing that played a role in getting it reduced to a "continuance without a finding" was the fact that I had already been acepted into school with a major of pre-pharmacy. So when I received my continuance without a finding, I went ahead and completed my probation and community service and figured I would be allset with pharmacy school. Reading all of these messages about criminal records got me thinking so I just decided to post about my dilemma. Anyways thanks for all the help, and any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

And yes I am going to call the Board of Pharmacy ASAP.
 
Also I just checked out my pharm school application and all it asks it whether or not I have been convicted of a felony. My answer to that was NO and that is in no way a lie so at least I got that going for me.
 
Does the pharmacy school know about this? Personally, if it was me I think I would talk to them about this before you start too. Just so that everything is out in the open and it doesn't appear that you were trying to hide something.
 
The other thing no one is mentioning is the standard loans and grants most of us use to go through school. FAFSA doesn't ask about felonies or misdemeanors at all, it specifically asks if you've ever been convicted of a drug-related crime. It is likely you would not be eligible for government funding for any kind of schooling, specifically the stafford loans and pell grant.