Trouble with the Law, Will It Affect My Chances for Pharmacy School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shineysun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a pre-pharmacy student and I was arrested a got a Class-B Misdemeanor for Theft. I am currently filing for a Pre-Trial Diversion. This is basically for first time offenders and it will have the charges against offenders dismissed after I complete the 12 month program.

But my record will still have the arrest but just no prosecution. Will this affect my chances for pharmacy school? I am taking the PCAT in september and apply to pharmacy schools in the Fall. I'm not sure what they look for in the background check so I don't really know if this will affect my chances.

Background info: this is my first time ever being arrested or charged with anything, I live in Texas.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am a pre-pharmacy student and I was arrested a got a Class-B Misdemeanor for Theft. I am currently filing for a Pre-Trial Diversion. This is basically for first time offenders and it will have the charges against offenders dismissed after I complete the 12 month program.

But my record will still have the arrest but just no prosecution. Will this affect my chances for pharmacy school? I am taking the PCAT in september and apply to pharmacy schools in the Fall. I'm not sure what they look for in the background check so I don't really know if this will affect my chances.

Background info: this is my first time ever being arrested or charged with anything, I live in Texas.

Thanks in advance!

You may get accepted. However, ask the school if there will be any barriers to you receiving rotations. Our school told us that many chains refuse to accept any rotation students if they have any history of theft.

Thanks in advance!

Most pharmacy schools do a criminal background check so it might show up. Not sure though. Also, not trying to be rude, you are pre-pharmacy and you're stealing stuff? That's a bad move on your part. What are adcoms gonna think? This guy is gonna be a pharmacy and steal narcotics? not trying to scare you but you should seriously call up your court and specifically ask them whether this will show up on a criminal background check.

Its a hard situation because pharmcas ASKS you to enter any crimes/charges/offences you have on your record. So if you don't enter it in and the schools find out about it later, it might be considered dishonesty.... I hope everything works out for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may get accepted. However, ask the school if there will be any barriers to you receiving rotations. Our school told us that many chains refuse to accept any rotation students if they have any history of theft.

This is true - I have worked in retail management for a long time.. We will not take anyone that has had any history of theft. In fact, our chain will usually only take people that have a clean record except for traffic violations.

I would call the schools you're applying to and the boards of pharmacy in those states and ask if this will present any barriers in the future. I'm not sure what they look at, but there's a possibility that you may get through school only to find that you're barred from rotations or certification. Also be up-front with it on your applications. I wouldn't direct attention to it by any means, but they do background checks, it will come up, and if you didn't report it they will most likely not even consider you for matriculation. But like I said, your best bet is to contact schools and the BoP themselves.

also had a misdemeanor for theft (non-alcohol/drug, not sure if that matters now from regular theft nowadays) that got dismissed. reported it to the Board of Pharmacy and got the intern license.

I was able to do my IPPE rotation with no problem.

my bigger concern is the APPE rotations and getting a job in this already competitive job market. do you know ppl in the past that got a job with a non-alcohol/drug theft that got dismissed or I am looking at future unemployment?

also i thought most retail chains dont ask for history of misdemeanors on their applications, only felonies.

Thanks in advance!

Find out if there's a way to get your file expunged.

also had a misdemeanor for theft (non-alcohol/drug, not sure if that matters now from regular theft nowadays) that got dismissed. reported it to the Board of Pharmacy and got the intern license.

my bigger concern is the APPE rotations and getting a job in this already competitive job market. do you know ppl in the past that got a job with a non-alcohol/drug theft that got dismissed or I am looking at future unemployment?

also i thought most retail chains dont ask for history of misdemeanors on their applications, only felonies.

if you got the charge dismissed then you were never convicted so why would it matter? pretty sure--actually quite sure--that employers can only ask you if you've ever been convicted of a crime.

Did you apply to pharmacy school after you had the misdemeanor? If yes, did you have trouble with the application process? Was it a big red flag for the school to deny you? Did they ask about it in the interview? I know you're in pharmacy school and may I ask where you go to? I'm in the same boat and I'm nervous about applying with a record... My case was dismissed but the arrest will always be there.. Please help

Why are you going around bumping these these 2-3 year old topics about criminal histories? If the information in these posts aren't enough for you, make your own topic and ask for advice about your own situation rather than asking about how it went for others.

Reactions: 1 user