True Stories From Podiatric Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm just about to submit my first publication as a resident. It's a case report that I'm helping another resident with. I'm not going to be first author on this one, but I'm knee deep in another case report that I will be first author on. We also just started a prospective research project that will probably take a year or two to finish up. We don't have a specific research requirement for residency, but a co-resident and I have been trying to get some of the cool cases that we see published. :thumbup:

Congrats to you! That's legit and nice to hear something positive today :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just about to submit my first publication as a resident. It's a case report that I'm helping another resident with. I'm not going to be first author on this one, but I'm knee deep in another case report that I will be first author on. We also just started a prospective research project that will probably take a year or two to finish up. We don't have a specific research requirement for residency, but a co-resident and I have been trying to get some of the cool cases that we see published. :thumbup:

Congrats, 'dude! I look forward to reading it once it hits the papers! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is an interesting case of a patient that I just had in ortho clinic.

36 y/o M presents to clinic from the ED for pain in his L knee x 3 years. Patient reports pain is 3/10 and increases to 10/10 with activity. His neurovascular is intact, no open lesions, and he has tenderness to palpation on his L anterior knee. His L knee is rigidly flexed at 75 degrees with pain on attempted ROM. He has muscle atrophy of his L quads and GS.

Radiographs obtained showed the following attached.

Anyone guess his diagnosis?

Attachments

• 2013-03-28 11.00.38.jpg
    2013-03-28 11.00.38.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 301
My vote would be Melorheostosis of Leri....

Melorheostosis is correct. The incidence is 1:1,000,000 so I doubt I will ever see it again, even the ortho attending hadn't seen it. Pt was uninsured and is pending funding for an MRI. My guess is that he will probably end up with a TKA. My last day for that rotation was yesterday, so unfortunately, I won't be able to follow him.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Great case. The "melting candle wax" appearance of the bone/joint on the film is one of the most characteristic features. However, it's unlikely you will see this again.

Had this come into the ER a few days ago. We were able to close reduce it in the ER with an ankle block and some pain meds. It's been a busy few weeks for me. The chief resident I am on service with is getting ready to move, so there have just been 2 residents trying to cover all the cases plus clinic/wound care/inpatient/etc. It's good to be busy. :D

Attachments

• photo-002.JPG
    photo-002.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 261
I love this thread! All your guys' stories get me so pumped for a possible career in Podiatry! Keep sharing them! :thumbup:

First post here,

I'm on my first month of EM rotations and i've seen some awesome things so far. Last wk we had an interesting case. A young male patient came in with high fever, tachycardia. WBC were high and urinalysis indicated presence of bacteria. patient was otherwise normal and no history of kidney problems. Suspected UTI, so I put him on ceftriaxone and kept him for the night. After his vitals became normal, he was discharged.
The patient came back 3 later with fever, tachycardia, elevated PSA, marked hypotension and high levels of bacteria in his urine. So my first thought is he probably stopped his antibiotics. He didn't. Switched him to an aminoglycoside and this time ordered a culture w/ antibiotic sensitivity testing. Turned out he had a rare resistant Ecoli infection. Switched him again to Imipenem/cilastatin and started to really freak out because his vitals were going south.
Another 24hrs go by and his vitals improve again. This time we kept him there for 4 days and then discharged him.

looking back at it, i should've picked up the part in the Hx that the patient mentioned that he came back from a 3rd world country and considered the antibiotic sensitivity testing in the first place. Still pretty new at all this i guess.

Last edited:
First post here,

I'm on my first month of EM rotations and i've seen some awesome things so far. Last wk we had an interesting case. A young male patient came in with high fever, tachycardia. WBC were high and urinalysis indicated presence of bacteria. patient was otherwise normal and no history of kidney problems. Suspected UTI, so I put him on ceftriaxone and kept him for the night. After his vitals became normal, he was discharged.
The patient came back 3 later with fever, tachycardia, elevated PSH, marked hypotension and high levels of bacteria in his urine. So my first thought is he probably stopped his antibiotics. He didn't. Switched him to an aminoglycoside and this time ordered a culture w/ antibiotic sensitivity testing. Turned out he had a rare resistant Ecoli infection. Switched him again to Imipenem/cilastatin and started to really freak out because his vitals were going south.
Another 24hrs go by and his vitals improve again. This time we kept him there for 4 days and then discharged him.

looking back at it, i should've picked up the part in the Hx that the patient mentioned that he came back from a 3rd world country and considered the antibiotic sensitivity testing in the first place. Still pretty new at all this i guess.

It's all about learning so I would just chalk it up to a learning experience. I thought my ER rotation was cool for seeing a wide variety of cases and how patients initially present to the hospital. I sometimes used to wonder why we did all these off service rotations, but I've really come to get a much better idea of how each service plays its part in overall patient care and I've also really come to respect my colleagues and the attendings we work with.

Any clue why he got the UTI in the first place?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah i'm still not sure. I suppose it could be homosexual activity? He was too young and no history of any previous uti or recent catheter placement. I referred him to his primary for further workup.

Since he did not have insurance we had to figure out how to get him a wound vac on charity care. Our hospital is a level 1 trauma center so we have a lot of resources. I worked with the case manager and the wound care nurses to get him a disposable wound vac that he could leave on for 6 days, until the battery ran out. We would see him in clinic, by day 5, to assess the wound. He will need a split thickness skin flap in the near future.
Pretty sweet that you were able to get the wound vac. It's always a hassle for us. Nice first day of residency. Hopefully you get to do the STSG and finish the case off.

Reading these as a second year has me amped/ frightened a little as I'm reading what I'll eventually be doing.

ORIF short oblique fibula fracture with posterior spike yesterday. Put a locking plate laterally. I never expected to do my first ankle fracture in my 6th week of residency.

So far I've done:
2 oblique 5th met shaft fractures, 1 with 3 interfrag scows and the other with screws and plates.
2 met neck fractures with plates.
5th met base fracture with percutanous screw.
A few hammertoes arthrodesis and arthroplasty.
A couple derotational arthroplasty 5th hammertoes.
Endoscopic plantar fasciotomy.
Dorsal exostectomy 1st met-cun joint.
1st MPJ hemi implant
1st MPJ fusion revision with bone allograft
Numerous toe amps, partial ray amps, met head resections, an amp at the tarso-metatarsal joint, bunch of I&Ds, couple skin grafts.
Theres probably a few more cases I'm forgetting

I've been on call for 2 weeks and another 2 weeks this month. Inpatients steady at 15-20. Me and my co-resident tag teamed a posterior ankle dislocation 2 weeks ago in the ED. So far residency has been exceeding my expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
On vascular surgery my senior resident went to see a consult in the ED while I was seeing some patients on the floor. I was carrying our team phone and got a call to come down to the ED where my senior was. When I get down there he has his finger in this patients thigh. It was a patient s/p fem-tib bypass who had gotten a hole in the graft from a poorly applied wound vac. I switched with my senior and when the attending came in the room to have a look, he had me take my finger off and she started pumping all over the room. I quickly put my finger back and held pressure all the way up to the OR where we patched her up. I seriously felt like the Dutch boy with his finger in the dike. That was fun. :D

Reactions: 1 user
Got paged last night just as I was getting into bed. Trimal posteriorly dislocated ankle fracture. Went in with the student. Closed reduced it under conscious sedation. 24hr observation for pain control.

What was your exact mechanism of reduction? Was there syndesmosis disruption as well? Tri-mal fractures are obviously extremely unstable and almost impossible to completely reduce perfectly. I'm curious...

Small posterior mal fracture, approximately 10-15%. Syndesmosis was intact. Really really bad SER4. Since it was posteriorly dislocated I basically plantar flexed the foot slightly, distracted, then popped the talus back under the tibia. Key here is flex that knee at 90 to remove gastroc pull as much as possible and once reduced, crank on that ankle to dorsiflex it. Keeping the ankle dorsiflexed to at least neutral will keep that talus under the tibia, however this will be difficult with a large posterior mal fragment. Any slight plantar flexion will cause it to slip out and dislocate posteriorly.

Last edited:
It's 1:20am. And I just got home. Earlier today I got called down to the children's ED for a foreign body removal. A "splinter" in a 4yo. Turned out to be a 4cm long splinter. Did it under conscious sedation. Then as soon as I park my car at home I get another page. Bimal ankle fracture displaced almost 1cm laterally. SER4 type. Went down and reduced it under conscious sedation. Got the talus back in but the fibula is still a little shortened. Adequate enough to send the patient home. Fun times on call.

Ankle fracture #3 this week. Laterally dislocated trimal this time. Awaiting post reduction xrays at the moment.

Edit: That was a difficult reduction. Especially since I only had a nurse with me and not a student with me. Difficult to direct someone who doesn't know ankle reduction principles. Came together really well though. Medially she's got some echymosis where the skin was tenting. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a fracture blister.

Last edited:
Got another dislocated trimal equivalent ankle fracture 2 days ago. This time it was a higher oblique fibula fracture at the 2/3-1/3 junction. Talus was laterally dislocated and externally rotated about 100 degrees. Conscious sedation as usual, reduced the dislocation, and had the nurse call X-ray as I was putting on the splint. Xray came just in time for the splint to dry. In and out of there in 30 minutes.

Yesterday I was first assist on delta frame application for unstable trimal. Quick and easy 30 min procedure. ORIF next week.

Yesterday I got another call for an ankle downtown on the floor. Bimal, SER4 type. Malreduced by the ER, laterally displaced about 1.5cm and was in equinus. I get there and the nurse tells me they had to take out her IV and are waiting for cardio to put one. Apparently they were having lots of trouble putting one in. At the time I didn't think of just giving dilauded IM plus last night when she presented to the ED she was unresponsive with opiates in her system, possible OD. They had to give her Narcan. So I go in the room proceed to take the splint down and found that the ED decided to wrap the "sugar tong" splint across the front thereby defeating the purpose of a splint :thumbdown:. I distract slightly, put lateral pressure and start to dorsiflex the ankle slowly. Patient is in quite a bit of pain. Quickly have the student put the splint on while I slowly dorsiflex the ankle and get the ankle back in much better alignment. Quite a painful experience for the patient unfortunately but the ankle is in proper alignment now. Great experience for me though having to reduce a displaced bimal without sedation, local, or pain meds. ORIF next week.

scary that it doesn't take a lot of cases to satisfy the minimal surgical number requirements for graduating residency.

Agreed. Especially the RRA numbers. Historically my program finishes RRA numbers by December of 1st year and total minimums by end of 1st year.

I just got caught up on logging for the past 2 months. So far I'm at 112 total surgical procedures, 24 trauma cases 10 of which are rear foot. All 1st assist. Not bad for first 2 months of residency.

good for you
Everyone talks about volume and how important it is so I decided to share my numbers. It's for the students on this forum who want to know what residency is really like. Not sure what your problem is.

I was on call our first week. I got a page on the 3rd day just as I got home. They were sending in a pro baseball player after the team physician came to the conclusion that that the player had compartment syndrome.
I get to the ED and the patient is brought it with an outside MRI. Exam looked like CS but there was no h/o trauma.
Used a Stryker STIC monitor and BAM- compartment syndrome

Straight to the OR for fasciotomy. Packed it open and closed it 3 days later

Had a nec fasc that weekend too

Great cases. My only advice to current residents if u don't already do this is this.... Question everything. Some of the cool surgeries or procedures u guys are doing may be unnecessary. Challenge attendings (diplomatically of course) with literature or common sense. And don't accept "because I was trained this way" as a good answer.

In my first year of residency I had a co resident who bragged about doin a skin to skin lis franc ORIF and described pre procedure indication and he went through the procedure and technique with textbook flawless ness ...I was the only one who asked if it was even necessary after looking at the films and MRI myself during his case presentation because I wasn't convinced it was a lis franc injury. There were also no contra lateral stress films...or at least an attempt under c arm. So I felt the work up wasn't thorough. Sure enough, patient has more pain than before the surgery 3 years later.

You learn just as much with the f ups if not more.

Enjoy residency

Reactions: 2 users
Any glorious residency stories to share? This thread has been really quiet...

Sorry, I wanted to start a new post but found the answer :)

Last edited:
I am interested in VA residency and interested in wound care but I was curious what the hours are like for VA hospital? Weekend hours or m-f, family friendly?

First of all, this is the wrong thread/place to ask this question. Second, do you realize how many VA hospital residencies there are in the country?

Other off service rotations I've done so far:
- 2 weeks radiology
- 2 weeks vascular lab
- 2 months internal medicine
- 1 month infectious disease
- 1 month emergency medicine

Currently 2 weeks into an 8 week stint on General Surgery.

Yuck, man. Glad I only spend 4 months off service on non-pod/ortho rotations.

In fact I've picked up skills from all my off-service rotations which will only make me more efficient and help me provide higher quality "medical" care for our patients when I transition back to podiatry.

:shrug: I thought that's what hospitalists were for?

Obs
Got paged last night just as I was getting into bed. Trimal posteriorly dislocated ankle fracture. Went in with the student. Closed reduced it under conscious sedation. 24hr observation for pain control.
admit for pain, ...that sucks. D/c that fool.

I used to be in the contingent of students who thought a program that offered the most surgical training is the best program to be apart of. In fact I felt that way for awhile this year which lead to a lot of frustration. But since doing these off service rotations I've learned a great deal and have a totally different perspective of what podiatry is and where it fits in a hospital system.

Forgive my ignorance (I've only just been accepted to podiatry school for next fall), but earlier in this thread I read posts from Jonwill who's residency program at the DMC is considered a very 'high numbers/high volume' type of program where foot and ankle surgery is concerned. However, upon perusing the rotations that residents at this particular residency program go through, they spend about 10/36 months 'off service' (i.e. anything non-podiatry related). Do you think podiatry students contemplating where to go for residency training should consider programs that are high volume in terms of foot and ankle surgery but also have a lot of rotations that are 'off-service'? Or should they just focus on one versus another? Or is it rare for a podiatry residency program to have a mix of both? Again, I apologize if this is off topic.

Considering my director was a graduate of your program and he designed the curriculum the way it is he obviously saw a void in his training that he wanted to correct/ give us the opportunity to be exposed to. Otherwise we would only be doing 4/36 months off service as well.

I used to be in the contingent of students who thought a program that offered the most surgical training is the best program to be apart of. In fact I felt that way for awhile this year which lead to a lot of frustration. But since doing these off service rotations I've learned a great deal and have a totally different perspective of what podiatry is and where it fits in a hospital system.

For starters our service is completely redundant. Medical management can be done by internal medicine and endocrinology (if pt is uncontrolled DM2). Surgery can be done by orthopedics. Infections can be handled by infectious disease. Pts with PVD can be handled by vascular surgery. The only thing we still do quite well is diabetic limb salvage which is a true art form and requires coordination with other specialties (vascular, endocrinology) to be successful. The fact is we do all the stuff no one wants to deal with therefore that's why the profession still exists and continues to grow.

So you are part of this profession, which is almost completely redundant, and now you will never have the opportunity to learn the basic medicine that ALL MD/DOs get exposed to prior to their specializing in whatever they matched into during residency. But you want parity too right? See the problem here? You are a person who can do surgery in the foot and ankle and diabetic limb salvage but nothing else. Orthopedics can manage their own pts, I know general surgery definitely manages their own pts. But podiatry, which wants to be considered a legitimate "surgical specialty" has no clue how to manage their pts. But we want parity??? Really?

What's even more disturbing is that you have students from Western and AZPOD complaining during their clerkships saying they are learning "too much medicine" and don't know enough "podiatry". WTF!?! Really? I thought podiatry was suppose to be medicine but when thinking back on my own clerkship experiences I was judged on my knowledge of the nuances of foot and ankle surgery that 3rd year ortho residents would not even know because, frankly, their training hadn't escalated to that yet. They were too busy learning medicine during their 3rd/4th year of school, being an intern their first year of residency, retracting their 2nd year, and are just now starting to get the knife during their 3rd year.

Now I'm not saying I know everything about medicine just because I'm doing these off service rotations but I've learned a hell of a lot more than I ever would if i didn't do them. I feel my training makes me more well rounded. I feel that after three years I'll be able to walk into any hospital system, demand admitting privileges, be able to take call and function efficiently. If I get pushback I'll have all evaluations from all the MD/DO attendings I've worked with during my off-service rotations and the backing of the entire department of orthopedics. Isn't this where the profession wants to go? Because I think its the direction it needs to go if we are ever going to attain true parity.

Rant over.

Ortho around us admit their post op totals, anything more complicated and they have the hospitalist do it. ED call for an open fracture? They tell the ED doc to have hospitalist admit it and give medical clearance. Then they whack 'em and sign off, or have their PA round for them.

I don't understand our inferiority complex. Why even compare ourselves to orthos? If you think a F/A ortho with their 1.5 (maximum) years of focused F/A training is better surgically trained than any Podiatric graduate, you're either at a terrible program (not you, I'm speaking in general), or you have self esteem issues. Head to your nearest ACFAS course and start referring to yourself as a "foot and ankle surgeon" and avoid the stigma of the "P word".

We are specialists. We should be experts in everything foot and ankle, starting by having an expert level knowledge & familiarity of our territory, as well as the accompanying pathology and treatment, conservative and surgical. Our expert skill & knowledge is what should keep us from being redundant. If we dilute out the experience that makes us unique, well then our average knowledge and surgical skill will truly make us redundant. Being well rounded and having a great grasp of medicine is fantastic, but it should be the icing on the cake rather than our main selling point.

So you are part of this profession, which is almost completely redundant, and now you will never have the opportunity to learn the basic medicine that ALL MD/DOs get exposed to prior to their specializing in whatever they matched into during residency. But you want parity too right? See the problem here? You are a person who can do surgery in the foot and ankle and diabetic limb salvage but nothing else. Orthopedics can manage their own pts, I know general surgery definitely manages their own pts. But podiatry, which wants to be considered a legitimate "surgical specialty" has no clue how to manage their pts. But we want parity??? Really?

We are the foot and ankle service within the Ortho department at our hospital. Ortho residents rotate through our service and with our attendings to get a significant portion of their FAS experience. They do not do a rotation on IM or ED, like we do. We both do a Gen surg and vascular rotation. So we actually get more "medicine" in residency than they do. We primarily admit and medically manage the exact same type of patient as our ortho colleagues, everyone else is admitted by a hospitalist.

Our attendings are in the ortho group that staffs our podiatry and ortho residency programs. We have the same admitting privileges. We work with them every single day and they even rotate through podiatry to get FAS cases/clinical experience. Don't know what else we need to do in order to establish "parity" within the community here. Certainly spending a second month on Gen Surg isn't going to change other provider's opinion of us...

Obs

admit for pain, ...that sucks. D/c that fool.

Yeah I know that now. Nothing worse than admitting a turd to obs who keeps requesting morphine while you try and discharge them. Rookie mistake...

"We are redundant"
. If you actually think about it, MOST specialities are redundant, not just ours. To run a hospital you really only need Hospitalists, Gen Surg, Anesthesia, Ortho, Neuro. Sub-specialties like endocrinologists, pulmonologists, cardiologists, plastics, vascular, etc, are all redundant.

And as for parity. My hospital consults podiatry for all ED and floor F&A issues (trauma, infections, ischemia, ulcers). My Ortho Trauma attending was stunned when he got an ED consult for a bimal ankle fracture. Apparently this was the first ankle fracture he had gotten from the ED all year. And he never medically managed his patients. One time the NP asked him about writing a script for his patients BP meds until his pt saw the PCP. My trauma attendings word for word response... "No way. I know nothing about BP meds. That's out of my scope of practice. That would be malpractice."

I got consulted by a medicine resident 30 hours after a patient was admitted. Cellulitis up to the tibial tuberosity, multiple hemorrhagic Bullae on the foot and ankle, pus pouring out of an ulcer on the hallux that probed to bone. WBC 18, CRP 30, ESR 114, procal 109, temp 101, tachy 115...but don't worry the pt is on abx, and we got a CT to r/o osteo...wow.

Procalcitonin is helpful in determining if a pt "will be" septic. In the case above the pt had a fever, elevated WBC, tachycardia, and, although not listed, probably was hypotensive. Pt has a pussed out foot. It's obvious pt is septic as they meet SIRs criteria. Not sure what procalcitonin would add in this case. In this case it's an unnecessary test and doesn't change the treatment plan.

Now if the pt had normal vitals, an elevated WBC with a pussed out foot and came to the ER stating "they feel funny" a procalcitonin lab would be appropriate and if it was elevated that would tell the ED physician that the pt has a high likelihood of becoming septic. A lactate level would be helpful as well as an elevated lactic acid level is indicative of sepsis since the pt is in a state of hypoxia or there is hypoperfusion of the organs systems causing a physiological state where lactic acid is being increasingly produced in the body.

The initial vitals, H&P and CMP/CBC are paramount in any ED encounter and influence what other tests are appropriate to provide appropriate and cost-effective care.

Just ordering a crap load of tests that won't change the treatment plan is not being a good doctor and drives the cost of care significantly up for the pt. The pt probably won't have insurance so then you are basically increasing the amount of money coming out of your pocket in taxes to cover the uninsured.

An ESR lab would have been an appropriate initial lab to order and in this case it was grossly elevated (>60-70). The likelihood osteomyelitis is present is high based on the clinical exam (probe to bone) and the ESR level. getting a CRP and procalcitonin is unnecessary. The pt is septic. Order IVF and broad spectrum antibiotic coverage. If the IM resident was smart they should have gotten a tissue sample from the ulcer prior to initiating antibiotic coverage. At my hospital we no longer use swabs as they are more likely to pick up contaminants. Despite all of that pt will most likely get a hallux/partial first ray amp after they have been medically stabilized.

Those were all ordered by medicine...you know, the doctors we are trying to get parity with.

Longtime lurker on the boards but felt a need to finally post after reading some of these recent comments.

Considering my director was a graduate of your program and he designed the curriculum the way it is he obviously saw a void in his training that he wanted to correct/ give us the opportunity to be exposed to. Otherwise we would only be doing 4/36 months off service as well.

-That's the whole point of residency training. Every program offers the same identical core of off service rotations (IM, ED, ID, Anesth, etc.) and a few offer a little above and beyond (Plastics, Gen Surg, Cardiovascular, Trauma, etc.). The argument should not be whether its better to have a high surgical volume program vs medical training. We all get medical training, but not everyone gets the same thing out of it and that is resident dependent. A high volume program comes from what you do while you are ON service. It is possible to have a bit of both. But anytime you are at an academic center and that is the only hospital you rotate at, you will sacrifice surgery volume. Volume generally comes from lots of facilities and driving. Remember, you can always read an internal med book and refresh on inpatient management of glucose (why you would need to who knows) but you can't learn surgical fundamentals later.

For starters our service is completely redundant. Medical management can be done by internal medicine and endocrinology (if pt is uncontrolled DM2). Surgery can be done by orthopedics. Infections can be handled by infectious disease. Pts with PVD can be handled by vascular surgery. The only thing we still do quite well is diabetic limb salvage which is a true art form and requires coordination with other specialties (vascular, endocrinology) to be successful. The fact is we do all the stuff no one wants to deal with therefore that's why the profession still exists and continues to grow.

-We are a surgical speciality that has to know 10 different areas of medicine on a specific anatomical body part-that is unique. We have to know the radiology, derm, infection, osteology, neurology, vascular, etc of the foot and ankle. No other speciality does that. You ever see ortho manage an infected TKA? They take out the implant and wait for ID to tell them what to do next. And remember, that ortho doc at one point did an ID rotation in residency.

- A lot of specialities do one intern year and then move into their speciality. We don't do an "intern" year per say but we do just under a year of medicine rotations and other surgical rotations. The outside surgery rotations are probably most important because you can learn about tissue handling, skin closures, various wound management techniques and basic preop and postop patient management.

What's even more disturbing is that you have students from Western and AZPOD complaining during their clerkships saying they are learning "too much medicine" and don't know enough "podiatry". WTF!?! Really? I thought podiatry was suppose to be medicine but when thinking back on my own clerkship experiences I was judged on my knowledge of the nuances of foot and ankle surgery that 3rd year ortho residents would not even know because, frankly, their training hadn't escalated to that yet. They were too busy learning medicine during their 3rd/4th year of school, being an intern their first year of residency, retracting their 2nd year, and are just now starting to get the knife during their 3rd year.

Now I'm not saying I know everything about medicine just because I'm doing these off service rotations but I've learned a hell of a lot more than I ever would if i didn't do them. I feel my training makes me more well rounded. I feel that after three years I'll be able to walk into any hospital system, demand admitting privileges, be able to take call and function efficiently. If I get pushback I'll have all evaluations from all the MD/DO attendings I've worked with during my off-service rotations and the backing of the entire department of orthopedics. Isn't this where the profession wants to go? Because I think its the direction it needs to go if we are ever going to attain true parity.

- Generally speaking, the residents who pound the "I love my off service rotations and I learn so much" line are at programs that are not high volume or well rounded surgically. I bet you see a lot of great trauma working at a level 1 with ortho- how many bunions does your program log a month? Flatfoot recons? Hammertoes and scopes? Lateral ankle instability or haglund's deformity? The fact is, the majority of residents that graduate will be doing bread and butter forefoot with the occasional rearfoot mixed in. A very small percentage will ever have an ACFAS lecturer type practice of all recon/trauma. An even small percentage will see a crazy amount of trauma at all. For every Fleming, Rush or Schuberth, there are thousands of the opposite of the spectrum. Residents need to know how to do an Austin, Lapidus, Evans, etc. And not just technically but understand the indications and intricacies of the procedures to have reproducible outcomes. Regardless of the bubble any resident or student is existing in right now; there is nothing worth trading surgery volume/diversity and good clinic time (learning to manage postop patients, warts, etc.) and any argument counter to that is someone rationalizing their current situation.

Very few surgical specialities (ortho, pod, plastics,) manage their own patients outside of the relatively healthy, low complexity kind. Its better from a medical legal standpoint to have medicine on board and its better from a networking and generating referrals standpoint.

Also, don't think you will ever get true parity without an MD/DO degree. Regardless of your place within an orthopedics department, they will still laugh behind your back and refer to you as "just a podiatrist".

The above underlined statement baffles me. You're telling me a level 1 trauma center/ university hospital doesn't get surgical volume? .............I don't know what to say to that......

How can you definitively make that statement??? Have you ever been apart of a university based program and then transferred to a community hospital that has a bunch of satellite surgery centers? It's really the only way you could make such a statement. Even then you would be wrong. UPMC, University of Cincy, University hospital (UMDNJ), Carilion Clinic (VA Tech) are programs that fit that mold of level 1 trauma center/university hospital setting. I'm sure there are several more.

The key is how you define surgical volume. Sure, volume at a level 1 trauma is high (high energy trauma and limb salvage) but after about 6 months of first year you can keep the limb salvage hallux amps and I&D; I'd rather do elective cases and recon. But again; it's how you are defining volume, that's what you say.

I'm not sure of anyone who has transferred from 2 drastically different programs; I'm sure they are out there but they are so few and far between that its hard to rule out anyone from having an opinion that hasn't. You named 4 programs; congrats. I'd even add one for you, Temple has a 4 year program at a level 1 trauma center. If you want to convince yourself, compare your 3rd year numbers to a resident from a higher volume program; the proof is in the pudding. And then compare how many times you doubled or tripled scrub compared to others. (I use "you" generically, not you specifically).

When $hit hits the fan, patients are going to the major hospital in the area. They are going to level 1 trauma center. They are going to the university hospital. If decide to go to a smaller community hospital they will just get transferred to the level 1 trauma center. I hate to break it to you but large hospitals have podiatry clinics too. The podiatry residency programs within these kind of hospital systems are getting in house consults. Podiatry residency programs within these hospital settings are getting paged to see the trauma/diabetic limb salvage case in the ED. The podiatry clinics are filled with post-ops, new pts who were referred from the ED, walk-ins. Surgical cases are generated from these busy clinics. I don't need to travel to get my volume. My hospital is a machine, churning out trauma and diabetic limb salvage cases every day. Which is what you should be expecting. Need more elective cases? Add some private docs to the program. Something my program has addressed

Yup; high energy trauma and high complexity cases go to level 1 trauma centers. Again, all you seem to talk about is trauma and limb salvage. Trauma represents such a small percentage of this profession and the vast majority of residency graduates will not be doing pilon fractures, calc fractures, etc. after residency. How many residents from your program are practicing the type of environment you are hyping?

We work with two ortho foot and ankle trained docs here who are purely elective/clinic based.

Wow. 2 elective based doctors? That's awesome. But it is all relative to the number of residents. If your program only takes 1 a year, then that's probably fine. If your program has 18 residents like UPMC, then you are going to need all those hallux amps to keep residents happy because 2 elective docs won't cut it.

We get a lot of trauma from podiatry residency program solely. There is a foot and ankle call here at my hospital and we own it. We get even more when we rotate on ortho trauma for 30 weeks between 2nd and 3rd year of residency. The ortho traumatologists love us which is not bad company to have.

Yeah the "complexity" of the bunion and hammertoe deformity really drives me wild. How will I ever get good at bunion and hammertoe correction if I don't do 1000 of them in residency? It keeps me up at night.Scopes/Brostrom/Flatfoot recon...yeah you got me there. Those obviously takes reps.

Again, that's great you get so much trauma training; its just not realistic for life after residency for 98-99% of graduates. I'm not knocking it but I know the ortho docs love having you there; many hands make light work but I bet they give the blade to the ortho resident before the podiatry resident most if not all the time...until its time to close

The comment about bunions and hammertoes show your ignorance and clearly you are a first year resident somewhere; and somewhere you don't get to do a lot. Elective cases are a completely different animal from trauma- the bunion patient doesn't want an ugly scar or a wound healing problem/numbness but the trauma patient will be happy that they didn't lose their leg, they will care less about the scar 90% of the time. No one needs to do 1000 bunions during residency (maybe some people do) but the same is said for those hallux amps/tma/"limb salvage" cases you are touting at your program.

why can't I use my brain and knowledge of basic surgical principles to do some of the elective cases I may not be getting exposed to in residency?

You absolutely can. I'd rather expand my fundamental skills to do a SMO or TAR than to teach myself a lapidus or cotton. What's more likely for your first case out of residency, an open pilon fracture or a bunion on a 50 year old lady?

The programs who actually deal with the least post-ops are the ones who you are arguing provide the greatest volume of training...the community hospitals that have like 50 surgical centers associated with them. How can the residents actually have time to see all those post-ops if they are spending a lifetime in a car traveling to do all those surgeries?

I'm not arguing for the community hospital model. I'm simply saying the more places you go, the more volume/diversity of cases you will be exposed too. There are lots of programs that are part of a decent size hospital that cover surgery centers and other decent size hospitals. It's not just covering 50 community hospitals or whatever although it can be.

I think you missed my point and took my post as a personal attack which it wasn't meant to be. I'm not knocking programs at a level 1 trauma center; I'm just saying that to tell people that amazing medicine rotations are better than surgical volume/diversity is not the best advice to give. You don't have to be at a level 1 trauma center to obtain great training on par with ortho. Every model has it shortcomings but feeding people this idea that doing crazy trauma and limb salvage all day everyday is not realistic for the vast majority of residents. Tissue handling and acceptable patient outcomes are vastly different for trauma and elective patients and since elective cases are much less forgiving, I'd personally like more exposure to that than another hallux amp or pilon fracture.

This is my first time posting in this thread. Yesterday I wanted to punch my entire hospital in the face. I've been day call since the beginning of the month, and the overnight resident got a page for a "routine ulcer" consult around 8PM. I came in that morning and before beginning rounding checked out this patient on the computer and saw that he was tachycardic, 103F temp, WBC 14. I looked at his x ray and read the report first, which said "small air foci representing ulcer at lateral foot." Okay cool. Opened up x ray...obvious gas. So the entire ED staff taking care of this patient, the radiologist, and the admitting team completely dropped the ball on this patient. This patient sat over night with sepsis and a gas infection and no one batted an eye. I went up to his room and examined him. He had a 10cm track from his plantar sub met 5 ulcer going proximally with brown murky pus coming out and bulla formation at the lateral foot. I called my attending right away and sent him a pic and then boarded him for the OR. We basically did a whole 5th ray resection, left the base. He's on vanc/zosyn. Today his white count went down a little but still very febrile. Praying we cleared everything out, and a great way to start yesterday morning!

Edit: I think this proves that we're a very vital service because no one likes to examine the feet. I had another consult on New Years Day that was paged in as "fungal nail." This 91 y/o lady was getting discharged in like 2 hours. She was a diet controlled diabetic. I immediately noticed a very red swollen warm 2nd toe with pus coming out of a pinhole sized ulcer at the medial aspect. Even with her dementia she yelled in pain every time I touched the toe. They were going to send her home with no prior antibiotics, cultures, or x ray. Obviously the primary team never noticed the cellulitis or her pain. I ended up sending her home on Keflex after getting cultures and negative x ray. I looked up the cultures a few days later...MRSA and Morganella. I guess she'll be back.

Last edited:
The key is how you define surgical volume. Sure, volume at a level 1 trauma is high (high energy trauma and limb salvage) but after about 6 months of first year you can keep the limb salvage hallux amps and I&D; I'd rather do elective cases and recon. But again; it's how you are defining volume, that's what you say.

I'm not sure of anyone who has transferred from 2 drastically different programs; I'm sure they are out there but they are so few and far between that its hard to rule out anyone from having an opinion that hasn't. You named 4 programs; congrats. I'd even add one for you, Temple has a 4 year program at a level 1 trauma center. If you want to convince yourself, compare your 3rd year numbers to a resident from a higher volume program; the proof is in the pudding. And then compare how many times you doubled or tripled scrub compared to others. (I use "you" generically, not you specifically).

Yup; high energy trauma and high complexity cases go to level 1 trauma centers. Again, all you seem to talk about is trauma and limb salvage. Trauma represents such a small percentage of this profession and the vast majority of residency graduates will not be doing pilon fractures, calc fractures, etc. after residency. How many residents from your program are practicing the type of environment you are hyping?

Wow. 2 elective based doctors? That's awesome. But it is all relative to the number of residents. If your program only takes 1 a year, then that's probably fine. If your program has 18 residents like UPMC, then you are going to need all those hallux amps to keep residents happy because 2 elective docs won't cut it.

Again, that's great you get so much trauma training; its just not realistic for life after residency for 98-99% of graduates. I'm not knocking it but I know the ortho docs love having you there; many hands make light work but I bet they give the blade to the ortho resident before the podiatry resident most if not all the time...until its time to close

The comment about bunions and hammertoes show your ignorance and clearly you are a first year resident somewhere; and somewhere you don't get to do a lot. Elective cases are a completely different animal from trauma- the bunion patient doesn't want an ugly scar or a wound healing problem/numbness but the trauma patient will be happy that they didn't lose their leg, they will care less about the scar 90% of the time. No one needs to do 1000 bunions during residency (maybe some people do) but the same is said for those hallux amps/tma/"limb salvage" cases you are touting at your program.

You absolutely can. I'd rather expand my fundamental skills to do a SMO or TAR than to teach myself a lapidus or cotton. What's more likely for your first case out of residency, an open pilon fracture or a bunion on a 50 year old lady?

I'm not arguing for the community hospital model. I'm simply saying the more places you go, the more volume/diversity of cases you will be exposed too. There are lots of programs that are part of a decent size hospital that cover surgery centers and other decent size hospitals. It's not just covering 50 community hospitals or whatever although it can be.

I think you missed my point and took my post as a personal attack which it wasn't meant to be. I'm not knocking programs at a level 1 trauma center; I'm just saying that to tell people that amazing medicine rotations are better than surgical volume/diversity is not the best advice to give. You don't have to be at a level 1 trauma center to obtain great training on par with ortho. Every model has it shortcomings but feeding people this idea that doing crazy trauma and limb salvage all day everyday is not realistic for the vast majority of residents. Tissue handling and acceptable patient outcomes are vastly different for trauma and elective patients and since elective cases are much less forgiving, I'd personally like more exposure to that than another hallux amp or pilon fracture.

I tried to "Like" this post several times, but it only gives me the option of doing it once, so that will have to suffice. This sums up everything so well, I don't really have anything to add.