Try this on for size

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kamandsam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gained admissions from a similar academic history... First 2 years of CC I received a 1.7. Went back to school and have an undergrad science GPA of 3.6, but when the other classes are counted my GPA is like a 3.1 science and 2.8 overall! I have heard that d-school only look at the last two years, is that true? Anyone have a similar experience to mine and get into d-school.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I got admissions with stats that are almost identical to that, but I doubt most dental schools only look at the last 2 years. Make sure you destroy the DAT (24+) and you will be in stellar shape.

Encouraging! I dont know about a 24, my goal is 21-22.

Members don't see this ad :)
To expect to get a 24 is a bit high. I think a 21-22 should get you sn acceptance somewhere.

I had like a 3.3 in CC. Now, at my 4 year and at age 26 I am getting 4.0s. I think schools will see that you've matured and are now doing well. As many people have told me in the past when I brought up my situation , "keep doing well, and enjoy dental school."

Yes, I just turned 28 and school is so easy now. I would hate for my 18 year old self to have ruined my chances now.

The only reason I went to school when I was 19-23 was to stay on my parents insurance while I worked under the table as a pizza man lol. Do you guys think I should put something like that in my P.S? :laugh:

Has anyone gained admissions from a similar academic history... First 2 years of CC I received a 1.7. Went back to school and have an undergrad science GPA of 3.6, but when the other classes are counted my GPA is like a 3.1 science and 2.8 overall! I have heard that d-school only look at the last two years, is that true? Anyone have a similar experience to mine and get into d-school.

Thank you.

Your grades sound REAL similar to mine. But mines a little harder to move. I graduated in engineering with a 2.3 and been trying to make up my grades the past 5 years and its extremely hard to move my gpa up. I've gotten about a 3.75 in the past 5 years and combined with my first undergraduate grades it comes out to 2.99/2.92. I've received alot of rejectiosn but I've also received a few pre-dec 1 interviews and a few post dec 1 interviews. So it really depends on the school, but they do take into consideration if you have a really strong upward trend.

Your grades sound REAL similar to mine. But mines a little harder to move. I graduated in engineering with a 2.3 and been trying to make up my grades the past 5 years and its extremely hard to move my gpa up. I've gotten about a 3.75 in the past 5 years and combined with my first undergraduate grades it comes out to 2.99/2.92. I've received alot of rejectiosn but I've also received a few pre-dec 1 interviews and a few post dec 1 interviews. So it really depends on the school, but they do take into consideration if you have a really strong upward trend.

So they calculate in your graduate classes and use that as your GPA? Im glad to hear that you have some interviews. I hope they go well for you.

No, my grades are still undergraduate. I was just in a progrma for a 2nd bachelors. At the time, no school would even consider me for a graduate program. I really hope I get in this year.

I saw that you interviewed at some good schools! That in itself means you are a qualified candidate. UCSF is my top choice.

Yes, I really like UCSF and my interviews went well there yesterday so I am crossing my fingers. So as for your grades as long your upward trend is very strong, you will have a chance, although there will be schools that will automatically toss you out too.

Thank you.
Sounds a little like me. I left my first attempt at college with a 2.2 for ~70 units. Went back and earned a 3.3 for my BS and MS in ME. My overall AADSAS GPA is 2.9/3.0 (sci/overall). I did well on the DAT, had a strong application in other areas, and got into UoP.

Continue working your tail off and make sure that you have a strong application in these areas: DAT, leadership, volunteer, shadowing, possibly research, etc. If necessary/possible apply to a formal post-bac program first. If you do all of this, you should shouldn't have a problem getting into d-school. Good luck.

I think adcoms look at your entire transcript, but take into account strong upward trends in grades.

I've got really similar stats too. I did okay on the DAT, but not crazy good (20/20/23), and have received two acceptances so far, so I don't think you have to crush it to get in. Just be straightforward about where you went wrong before and keep getting solid grades and you should do fine. Personally, I think having a few flaws helps you stand out as unique and gives you more to talk about at your interview.

My brother is a third year at OHSU and he said that my academic history could actually be a huge benefit.