1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Try this on for size

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by kamandsam, Dec 8, 2008.

1. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Has anyone gained admissions from a similar academic history... First 2 years of CC I received a 1.7. Went back to school and have an undergrad science GPA of 3.6, but when the other classes are counted my GPA is like a 3.1 science and 2.8 overall! I have heard that d-school only look at the last two years, is that true? Anyone have a similar experience to mine and get into d-school.

Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Yes, I got admissions with stats that are almost identical to that, but I doubt most dental schools only look at the last 2 years. Make sure you destroy the DAT (24+) and you will be in stellar shape.

4. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Encouraging! I dont know about a 24, my goal is 21-22.

5. klutzy1987

klutzy1987 StudyingSucks Letsgo Mets
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    To expect to get a 24 is a bit high. I think a 21-22 should get you sn acceptance somewhere.

6. bustedgrill

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I had like a 3.3 in CC. Now, at my 4 year and at age 26 I am getting 4.0s. I think schools will see that you've matured and are now doing well. As many people have told me in the past when I brought up my situation , "keep doing well, and enjoy dental school."

7. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Yes, I just turned 28 and school is so easy now. I would hate for my 18 year old self to have ruined my chances now.

8. bustedgrill

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The only reason I went to school when I was 19-23 was to stay on my parents insurance while I worked under the table as a pizza man lol. Do you guys think I should put something like that in my P.S? :laugh:

9. chober

5+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Your grades sound REAL similar to mine. But mines a little harder to move. I graduated in engineering with a 2.3 and been trying to make up my grades the past 5 years and its extremely hard to move my gpa up. I've gotten about a 3.75 in the past 5 years and combined with my first undergraduate grades it comes out to 2.99/2.92. I've received alot of rejectiosn but I've also received a few pre-dec 1 interviews and a few post dec 1 interviews. So it really depends on the school, but they do take into consideration if you have a really strong upward trend.

10. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    So they calculate in your graduate classes and use that as your GPA? Im glad to hear that you have some interviews. I hope they go well for you.

11. chober

5+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    No, my grades are still undergraduate. I was just in a progrma for a 2nd bachelors. At the time, no school would even consider me for a graduate program. I really hope I get in this year.

12. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I saw that you interviewed at some good schools! That in itself means you are a qualified candidate. UCSF is my top choice.

13. chober

5+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Yes, I really like UCSF and my interviews went well there yesterday so I am crossing my fingers. So as for your grades as long your upward trend is very strong, you will have a chance, although there will be schools that will automatically toss you out too.

14. bjhath

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Sounds a little like me. I left my first attempt at college with a 2.2 for ~70 units. Went back and earned a 3.3 for my BS and MS in ME. My overall AADSAS GPA is 2.9/3.0 (sci/overall). I did well on the DAT, had a strong application in other areas, and got into UoP.

Continue working your tail off and make sure that you have a strong application in these areas: DAT, leadership, volunteer, shadowing, possibly research, etc. If necessary/possible apply to a formal post-bac program first. If you do all of this, you should shouldn't have a problem getting into d-school. Good luck.

I think adcoms look at your entire transcript, but take into account strong upward trends in grades.

15. makers

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I've got really similar stats too. I did okay on the DAT, but not crazy good (20/20/23), and have received two acceptances so far, so I don't think you have to crush it to get in. Just be straightforward about where you went wrong before and keep getting solid grades and you should do fine. Personally, I think having a few flaws helps you stand out as unique and gives you more to talk about at your interview.

16. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    My brother is a third year at OHSU and he said that my academic history could actually be a huge benefit.