Trying for both, but I am realistic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diocletian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I live in a Midwest state with only one MD medical school, so keep that in mind.

ACADEMICS

cGPA: 3.2, strong upward trend (3.0 freshman and sophomore years, then 3.6+ all of junior and senior year in difficult science classes)

sGPA: 3.2, same deal as above

MCAT: 30T

EXTRACURRICULARS

- Volunteer at the local medical center for 150 hours, at front desk and ICU. Lots of patient contact, especially in the latter
- Shadowed a pediatrician for over 80 hours, have a good letter of rec from him
- Research since my freshman year. Currently doing forelimb research and won a $5000 scholarship for it last month
- Big passion for weightlifting and general health. I lost 80 pounds since my freshman year working out, hopefully I can create a medical narrative out of that
- I have a passion for economics (Double major in Bio and Econ) and have done paid internships for famous economic policy centers for the last two years, including places in DC and New York

Please chance me for DO and MD schools. Thanks!

I'd say that you have a shot at low-to-mid tier MD schools and definitely a good shot at DO schools. If you can afford it, I'd apply to 15-20 MD schools and simultaneously apply to several DO schools (at least 5-10) to give yourself the best odds. Your biggest problem is that your cumulative and science GPAs may get you screened out in the first round at some schools--but I'd say that you have a strong application once you make it past the first round of weed-outs due to the strong upward trend of your GPA despite taking a challenging course schedule.You also have a solid MCAT score, which will also add credence to the fact that you've substantially improved academically since your first couple of years of college. The rest of your application is very strong. I would be shocked if you didn't get accepted at multiple osteopathic medical schools and I think that you have a decent shot at getting into your state or a "lower tier" private allopathic school.

When are you planning to apply? It might also make sense to spend a fifth year in college to work on your GPA, which would also give you time to study again for the MCAT if you really have your heart set on allopathic medical school.

Dr. Leonardo Noto

I'd say that you have a shot at low-to-mid tier MD schools and definitely a good shot at DO schools. If you can afford it, I'd apply to 15-20 MD schools and simultaneously apply to several DO schools (at least 5-10) to give yourself the best odds. Your biggest problem is that your cumulative and science GPAs may get you screened out in the first round at some schools--but I'd say that you have a strong application once you make it past the first round of weed-outs due to the strong upward trend of your GPA despite taking a challenging course schedule.You also have a solid MCAT score, which will also add credence to the fact that you've substantially improved academically since your first couple of years of college. The rest of your application is very strong. I would be shocked if you didn't get accepted at multiple osteopathic medical schools and I think that you have a decent shot at getting into your state or a "lower tier" private allopathic school.

When are you planning to apply? It might also make sense to spend a fifth year in college to work on your GPA, which would also give you time to study again for the MCAT if you really have your heart set on allopathic medical school.

Dr. Leonardo Noto

MOSTLY agree. your MCAT is fine, but your c/sGPAs are definitely low for MDs. and while your ECs looks solid/strong, they aren't anything spectacular such that they can markedly compensate for low numbers.

your chances would increase quite visibly if you have a higher MCAT. a 30 is good enough only if it is paired with a 3.6+ GPA. a combination of 30 and 3.2 yields a LizzyM score of a 62, which is low for MD acceptance.

but dont give up and fight as hard as you can until the end. good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
MOSTLY agree. your MCAT is fine, but your c/sGPAs are definitely low for MDs. and while your ECs looks solid/strong, they aren't anything spectacular such that they can markedly compensate for low numbers.

your chances would increase quite visibly if you have a higher MCAT. a 30 is good enough only if it is paired with a 3.6+ GPA. a combination of 30 and 3.2 yields a LizzyM score of a 62, which is low for MD acceptance.

but dont give up and fight as hard as you can until the end. good luck.

Yeah, I probably should have worded that as "possible" chance rather than "decent" chance at allopathic school--it's not a definite "no" but I wouldn't gamble any money on being accepted either (but I still would apply, and to lots of schools because you never know). I think that you're a good candidate for osteopathic medical school and I also think that improving your MCAT and GPA with another year of school is also a viable option.

SECOND EDIT: Man, this one is really bugging me because I see myself in your situation--I had lousy grades my first year of school, decent grades my sophomore year, and then pulled it together. But I was also a bit different b/c I had 4.0s from then on, I went to school for five years, I had a great excuse for my initial poor performance (worked three part time jobs simultaneously and had a sketchy high school education), and scored a 35 on the MCAT. I love it that you've pulled your life together academically and while taking hard courses and I think that if you kept it up for another year and added a few points to your MCAT that you'd have a good shot at getting into an allopathic school somewhere. But right now, the more that I think about it I have to say that you are far more competitive for osteopathic medical school than for allopathic school, which is fine, because you'll be just as much of a physician as a DO as you would be as an MD (trust me on this, I know from clinical experience as a practicing doc). The biggest questions that I have for you are 1) how determined are you to apply this year instead of next year and 2) how much cash do you have on hand for the application process? If money is an issue, I think that you should apply to your state allopathic school and maybe a few others and then primarily concentrate on the osteopathic route. If money is really an issue, just concentrate on your DO application. Make sure that you have at least one letter of recommendation from a DO for your osteopathic application because many schools require it (based on your volunteer activity I'm sure that you know a few DOs--you just may not have known that they were DOs at the time--ask around). I would argue that your ECs are above average compared to most allopathic and most osteopathic applicants (the applicants who hangout on SDN are a skewed sample). But the problem for allopathic medical school, as the poster above pointed out, is your GPA and an MCAT score that is good, but definitely not great. Good luck, I'm cheering for you!

Dr. Leonardo Noto

Last edited:
Yeah, I probably should have worded that as "possible" chance rather than "decent" chance at allopathic school--it's not a definite "no" but I wouldn't gamble any money on being accepted either (but I still would apply, and to lots of schools because you never know). I think that you're a good candidate for osteopathic medical school and I also think that improving your MCAT and GPA with another year of school is also a viable option.

SECOND EDIT: Man, this one is really bugging me because I see myself in your situation--I had lousy grades my first year of school, decent grades my sophomore year, and then pulled it together. But I was also a bit different b/c I had 4.0s from then on, I went to school for five years, I had a great excuse for my initial poor performance (worked three part time jobs simultaneously and had a sketchy high school education), and scored a 35 on the MCAT. I love it that you've pulled your life together academically and while taking hard courses and I think that if you kept it up for another year and added a few points to your MCAT that you'd have a good shot at getting into an allopathic school somewhere. But right now, the more that I think about it I have to say that you are far more competitive for osteopathic medical school than for allopathic school, which is fine, because you'll be just as much of a physician as a DO as you would be as an MD (trust me on this, I know from clinical experience as a practicing doc). The biggest questions that I have for you are 1) how determined are you to apply this year instead of next year and 2) how much cash do you have on hand for the application process? If money is an issue, I think that you should apply to your state allopathic school and maybe a few others and then primarily concentrate on the osteopathic route. If money is really an issue, just concentrate on your DO application. Make sure that you have at least one letter of recommendation from a DO for your osteopathic application because many schools require it (based on your volunteer activity I'm sure that you know a few DOs--you just may not have known that they were DOs at the time--ask around). I would argue that your ECs are above average compared to most allopathic and most osteopathic applicants (the applicants who hangout on SDN are a skewed sample). But the problem for allopathic medical school, as the poster above pointed out, is your GPA and an MCAT score that is good, but definitely not great. Good luck, I'm cheering for you!

Dr. Leonardo Noto

excellent and surprisingly encouraging post/advice, something that doesnt happen often on SDN.

OP, if you really want MD, i think it would be much faster to improve your MCAT than to improve your GPA. how long/hard did you study for the MCAT when you got a 30? if you are confident, i would consider doing a retake and aim for 34+.

in the meantime, consider what Dr. Noto said and take another year of classes to raise your GPAs as much as you can. also, continue your ECs.

also, mid/low tier MD schools really value community service, and i am not seeing any of that on your EC list. consider doing some volunteering work with an organization/cause you like/believe in. soup kitchens, tutoring disadvantaged children, habitat for humanity....all good choices to partake in.

Should be OK for some but not all DO schools (our cutoff is 3.25 now), but 0% at MD school, even your state school. GPA is just too low.

I live in a Midwest state with only one MD medical school, so keep that in mind.

ACADEMICS

cGPA: 3.2, strong upward trend (3.0 freshman and sophomore years, then 3.6+ all of junior and senior year in difficult science classes)

sGPA: 3.2, same deal as above

MCAT: 30T

EXTRACURRICULARS

- Volunteer at the local medical center for 150 hours, at front desk and ICU. Lots of patient contact, especially in the latter
- Shadowed a pediatrician for over 80 hours, have a good letter of rec from him
- Research since my freshman year. Currently doing forelimb research and won a $5000 scholarship for it last month
- Big passion for weightlifting and general health. I lost 80 pounds since my freshman year working out, hopefully I can create a medical narrative out of that
- I have a passion for economics (Double major in Bio and Econ) and have done paid internships for famous economic policy centers for the last two years, including places in DC and New York

Please chance me for DO and MD schools. Thanks!