Technology Trying to build a computer, your thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattng

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is what I have in mind.

Motherboard: Ecs P4m800pro-M Lga775 1066fsb Dual Core
Processor: Intel Pentium D 930 925 Dual Core 3.0ghz
Memory: 512mb Pc2 5300 667mhz Ddr-2 Dual Channel
Videocard: VIA UNICHROME PRO 3D ON-BOARD VIDEO CARD ADAPTER

I just had a few questions.

1. Difference between Intel and AMD processors?
2. How is this setup right now? I'm looking for something that is fast and still be able to play the new computer games (ie, Wow, Bioshock, Guildwars)
3. Anyone heard of this videocard?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

This is what I have in mind.

Motherboard: Ecs P4m800pro-M Lga775 1066fsb Dual Core
Processor: Intel Pentium D 930 925 Dual Core 3.0ghz
Memory: 512mb Pc2 5300 667mhz Ddr-2 Dual Channel
Videocard: VIA UNICHROME PRO 3D ON-BOARD VIDEO CARD ADAPTER

1. Difference between Intel and AMD processors?
-AMD is ****. Go with Intel.

2. How is this setup right now? I'm looking for something that is fast and still be able to play the new computer games (ie, Wow, Bioshock, Guildwars)
-I'd probably get a quad-core Intel processor. That's not to say the dual-core isn't good enough. Of course, if you decide on a diff CPU you have to be careful of mobo compatibility.
-512 is way too skimpy on the memory. 2GB or 1GB at the very least.
-nVidia Geforce or bust when it comes to the video card. You can get a decent 256mb nVidia card for relatively cheap these days. Try to get a 6000 series or higher

3. Anyone heard of this videocard?
-It sounds like it's shared-memory. My guess is you wont have a great experience in terms of quality and performance with that GPU. You might experience slower/less-smooth gameplay, especially with something like Bioshock or Crysis. Go the extra mile and get an nVidia geforce. Here's a really good one on sale at Newegg.

Also don't forget about the other aspects of your computer build... like case/cooling and power. There actually some pretty good free online tips and even some build set-ups that show what components and what prices other people have used to build some quality gaming rigs.

I have to agree that you really need at least 2 GB of RAM on your machine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to agree that you really need at least 2 GB of RAM on your machine.

Could I just get the system that I have set up and then buy another 1 gb? Do you know if the motherboard can have that setup?

If you are looking to play the latest games on the highest settings, this will not cut it. It is a decent system that you probably picked up some of the pieces for pretty cheap (at Fry's?) but it's not a gaming system.

For the latest games:

You need at least a Core 2 Duo processor (anything but 2xxx series)
You need a decent motherboard (I built a system around an Asus P5B-M motherboard -- it is a GREAT Socket 775 board!)
Memory is cheap nowadays, I would go for 2 Gb Dual Channel (2x1Gb, I believe that that board IS NOT a dual channel board)
You also need a good video card. Onboard video will not cut it for the latest games. A 7900 GS might be a good compromise of price vs. power. If you plan on running Vista, you probably want a DirectX10 compatable card, and good ones are not currently cheap. An 8600 might be able to hold you over until 8800s rop in price.

If you are not overclocking, AMD vs. Intel is irrelevant. I built my Office/Gaming PC about at year ago around a P5B-M and a Core 2 Duo E4300, with 3 Gb of RAM, and a Geforce 7900 GS, Running Vista 32-bit. I built my HTPC around an Abit NF-M2S, a Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 2 Gb RAM, and a Geforce 8500, also running Vista 32-bit. Both are great at what they were built for.

But, for gaming, I say go with Intel, especially if you are willing to experiment with overclocking.

Have fun!

Could I just get the system that I have set up and then buy another 1 gb? Do you know if the motherboard can have that setup?

Intel D945gcl Lga775 1066fsb Motherboard [Edit: Removed bad link]
Two 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets
Support for DDR2 667, DDR2 533, or DDR2 400 MHz DIMMs
Support for up to 4 GB of system memory

There are 2 slots total for memory. Which means if you get the computer and the 1 GB ends up being 2 sticks of 512MB, that means the max you will be able to have is 1.5GB and a spare stick with nowhere to go.

I'd start doing research at arstechnica.com. No offense to anyone on this site, but that site is more likely to have better qualified opinions.

I'd start doing research at arstechnica.com. No offense to anyone on this site, but that site is more likely to have better qualified opinions.

Great site but computer building isn't like forming a diagnosis. There is no correct setup and a plethora of ways to go about doing someting (overclocking, selecting ram mhz, $50 more expensive mobo for a 5% negligible performance boost...). With that being said the OP should still visit Tomshardware and arstechnica and look around. :thumbup:

What should I be looking for? I've done some research, a socket 775 for my processor, DDR2 slots, PCI slot etc.?

I know it's tough, but plunk down 75-120 for a good board, it's more likely to last and you'll be much happier with the performance aspect. I went with this board, for several reasons. In looking at the two boards you've picked and your desires, I think you need to stay away from lower models or cheaper boards.

I would stay away from boards that have built in video cards, because that generally means they've skimped somewhere else or it has older components (north and south bridge) to make up for the additional video chip cost.

I've had good luck with both Asus and Abit and they typically have a range of boards that fit most needs. Just remember cough up the money for dual channel memory and if you're looking at overclocking, get a heat sink for the northbridge and get a couple extra fans for the case, just to be on the safe side.

PS -- the first step should be to sit down and come up with a budget. Identify which pieces of hardware you absolutely need. And work from there.

PPS -- I'd still stick with a duo processing core, for a couple of reasons, mostly because I doubt you'll see a significant difference in the Quad cores, a lower end mother board, 1 gig of memory (vs a better motherboard, 2gigs of memory and a duo core), which priced out to be about the same. Unlike buying a car and using it for 3-5 years, where you're less likely to upgrade parts, treat a home-built system as a house, something you're going to put money into occasionally (every 18 mos or so) to keep up to date. I've had three main system over the last 12 years that I've treated this way and I rarely run into a game I can't play.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm getting this, http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA4308035&cmp=AFC-CJ_CBIT

I know the motherboard has to accept DDR2-800 to be compatable with that memory, but does it also have to say it accepts dual channel?

Dual channel is just a performance boost when both ram cards are running at the same latency. I dont believe it matters, and the ram should downscale its 800mhz to a lower speed on the mobo if the mobo does not support such speeds.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/...ide_memory?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~section=011

Alright, I'm trying to choose between these two motherboards, what do you think i should go with?

ECS GF7100PVT-M or ECS G31T-M

I compared the two, and everything is basically the same with the exception of the video chipset. The ECS G31T-M seems to cost more than the other, but I thought the NIVIDA chipset is better?

Alright, I'm trying to choose between these two motherboards, what do you think i should go with?

ECS GF7100PVT-M or ECS G31T-M

I compared the two, and everything is basically the same with the exception of the video chipset. The ECS G31T-M seems to cost more than the other, but I thought the NIVIDA chipset is better?

When people say NVidia are better, they generally mean the video cards are better. I still think you're going to run into performance problems with an onboard video card, as these boards have, with newer games. Remember, that with an onboard video card (or at least these), part of the system memory will be used for the video card, so if you have 1gig of memory in the system, 256megs will be allocated for the video, the rest for system processes.

These boards do have a few nice qualities, I tend to like vertical SATA plugs (as opposed to horizontal), because I find these easier to use. And it's SATA 2 (3.0 gps xfer). But on the whole, I'd still suggest going with a separated video card and motherboard for anyone wanting to play games.

Bump...

After trying out a friend's new HP laptop, and being horrified by the bloatware and worthless toolbars pre-installed, I'm thinking about building a new comp too. Pretty much just for general internet use and word processing. I just want it to be durable and reliable.

Congrats!

Building your own machine is the way to go. That said this is what I built and have been been playing Wow for a bit now with no trouble. All of it bought via Newegg.com

1 x Seagate ST3640323AS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
1 x MSI MBOX G31M3-F Intel Socket T(LGA775) Intel G31 2 x 240Pin Intel GMA 3100 Black Barebone

2 x mushkin 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model 991580 - Retail

1 x SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S203N - OEM

1 x Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model HH80562PH0568M - OEM

My machine is smoking fast. Since building I've added 1 PCI fan and a scrap DVD player.

It was an easy build. I strongly recommend NewEgg.com their service is stellar. I dont have a Vid Card and it runs Wow with decent FPS.

Happy buidling!

JB

<H1>

</H1>

I'm looking at building my first computer as well. If you don't play video games, can you get a motherboard with a vid card already and be ok with it? I will only use mine for internet, downloading movies, and watching them through my tv that I will hook the computer up to. Thanks!

I'm looking at building my first computer as well. If you don't play video games, can you get a motherboard with a vid card already and be ok with it? I will only use mine for internet, downloading movies, and watching them through my tv that I will hook the computer up to. Thanks!

Yeah integrated graphics. Contrary to popular belief GPUs are not used in that many applications. Plus integrated graphics will save battery life and reduce heat. The only downside is you need to make sure you have enough system RAM as the RAM is shared with the integrated graphics.

The build I posted before is running with an integrated graphics card. It handles my loads just fine.

The total cost is ~$600. A darn good deal for a good machine!

Well, if you want to watch HD video, investing a little money in a graphics card might work it. You'd be surprised at the deals you can get on some of the popular ones.