Trying to decide between PT and Med school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a degree in Athletic Training and did attend some grad school but left after 2 semesters because I know longer wanted to go that direction. I love being hands on. I enjoy A&P, pathophysiology and understanding the mechanics of how and why things work. Knowing just what never does it for me. I still have to bring up my science GPA that suffered from early college so a year or so of taking a good load of sciences are in the works. I know PT is 3 years and med school is 4 yrs plus residency, during which I'm sure I'd make some kind of money. I currently work in a hospital ER as a tech and I've grown to enjoy working in setting with a variety of people, injuries/complaints, etc.

Anyhow, have any of you considered both PT and med school at some time? What helped you decide?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a degree in Athletic Training and did attend some grad school but left after 2 semesters because I know longer wanted to go that direction. I love being hands on. I enjoy A&P, pathophysiology and understanding the mechanics of how and why things work. Knowing just what never does it for me. I still have to bring up my science GPA that suffered from early college so a year or so of taking a good load of sciences are in the works. I know PT is 3 years and med school is 4 yrs plus residency, during which I'm sure I'd make some kind of money. I currently work in a hospital ER as a tech and I've grown to enjoy working in setting with a variety of people, injuries/complaints, etc.

Anyhow, have any of you considered both PT and med school at some time? What helped you decide?

I decided that I didn't want to have the hours of an ATC, not even for the $$ of an MD/DO. PT was the best choice for me. I didn't want to carry a beeper or be on call.

In my athletic training program, we observed surgeries. One day I watched the first of 3 surgeries scheduled. I had to leave for a test, then went to class, then another class, ate lunch, took a shower, read a bit, then went to Men's gymnastics pre practice treatments, covered practice, post practice treatment, then had a Women's gymnastics exhibition meet vs the Japanese national team. the surgeon I watched in the early morning covered that meet. After everything was over, there was a hospitality room with wine, beer, hor'doevres (sp) and I invited him to join us. He declined, he had surgery scheduled that night at 10:30 pm.

I decided at that point that no amount of money/prestige was worth that lifestyle.

if you have any desire whatsoever to go into medicine then go to med school, you'll always wish you did if you go into PT (which is a great field by the way, I'm a PT who went to DO school).

if you still find you love medicine but can't stomach the time commitment, consider PA school. if you're still blown away by PT, then go to PT school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I based my decision on patient contact. I'm a people person and prefer the full patient contact and follow up. I find with MDs they don't have the chance for this. As a PT you really get to know your patients and are able to treat them while taking into account all factors of their life.
That and PT school is a lot shorter...or so i figured when i started...it actually involves a lot of post grad training..

Whichever you decide, I hope you're happy :)

I think you have a hard choice to make. I personally went PT and going into it. I had no idea of all the areas that PT is involved in (women's health, electromyography, ER, pediatrics, wound care, geriatrics, sports, neuro, ortho, and on and on). If you like the ER, there are hospitals that have PTs in the ER and they don't just teach someone how to walk with crutches or a walker. It is more like true direct access. You evaluate, you treat, hands on, there is some follow up with patients that choose to continue PT in your facility or if you call to follow up with them else where.
Hands on and continuity of care, in my opinion, point to PT. Some MDs get that but unfortunately not many of them.
Any profession that seeks to serve others is a great choice, it's going to be what makes you happy and something you can wake up everyday and be excited about going to work. Firefighers, clergy and PT....the top three most satisfying careers!!!
Good luck with whatever path you choose...we are all on the same team!