trying to figure out the next step

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BlueNotePreMed

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a recent graduate (December 2005) of the University of Wisconsin-Madison.**I have a B.S. in Biology with an option in Neurobiology and am currently working in a Neuroscience research lab at UW and am volunteering at the UW-Hospital. I have always pondered with the idea of med school and after taking some time off and thinking about it, I am certain that medicine is for me.**My only issue is that I feel my current uGPA isn't as high as it should be to be competitive.**I transferred from a smaller state school after my freshman year and had a difficult time adjusting my first year at the more rigorous UW-Madison.**Each semester, however, I improved and by senior year I had a 3.53 1st semester and a 3.5 second semester which was all in upper level neuro/bio classes.**My cumulative GPA, however, ended up being only 2.989.*

I have talked with many people in my lab and around the medical community and have heard about special masters programs and also graduate and other post-bacc programs...

I guess I am wondering if I should just try to apply now and see what happens or if I should just wait and get an advanced degree and then try applying...**

Also, I have not taken the MCAT yet.**I just am wondering if I have a realistic shot at getting in (anywhere, minus Caribbean (doesn't interest me)) to either an MD or DO program in the US now or if the post-bacc option might be the better way to go... and then apply later

Thanks to everyone!
 
If I were in your shoes, I'd take the MCAT as soon as I thought I was ready, and if I do really well, then I'd apply as soon as I get my name on a paper. I'd balance out my low GPA with killer recommendations and ECs. Applying in June '07 would be lovely. If I do poorly on the MCAT with a best effort, I'd take one year of post-bac with a mix of upper division science and upper division humanities, and a hard stats class. Or get a masters. If my GPA isn't good for postbac, and/or retaking the MCAT doesn't improve my score, then I'd reconsider my ambitions.

I wish you the very best of luck, regardless.
 
If I were in your shoes, I'd take the MCAT as soon as I thought I was ready...
I'm a non-trad, started medical school at age 39, and currently in residency.

I think DrMidlife is correct, with one addition. I agree you should take the MCAT, apply now, and hope for the best. There likely are some schools that may give more weight to your more recent coursework.

However, at the same time, you should prepare for the worst. So start working on a quick masters degree in Biology or a post-bacc program now. This way, if you get rejected, you'll be able to reapply with a strong post-bacc or graduate GPA.

The bottom line is that you need to demonstrate that you can do well in medical school. So the research will help only so much. A strong post-bacc or graduate GPA will likely help much more.

Best of luck,
Mike