Trying to Figure Things Out

Started by Elscy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Elscy

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone. I am trying to figure things out right now, and I am not even sure if this will go anywhere.

Once upon a time, I was a traditional premed student. I even went to a high school wherein I got the opportunity to spend a semester shadowing in different departments of the local hospital. Then I went off to college where I majored in Biology, and I floundered in large lecture classes. I was dealing with some psych issues resulting from a car accident that out my family in the hospital, and it turned out that I could barely hear. I had tympanoplasty surgery after my second year, but by then, the damage to my gpa (in particular, my science gpa) was done. I changed my major at this point to studying about medicine rather than being a science major. Ultimately, my undergraduate gpa is 3.24 with a BS in Science, Technology, and Culture with a concentration in Biomedicine and Culture in 2009. I do, however, have a number of Ws because I was in a flexible program where I would sign up for an extra class or two then choose which one I wanted after I met the professor and received the syllabus. I have no idea how schools will look at that. Furthermore, I have many credits due to an incomplete psychology minor and the major change. Massive shifts in overall gpa will be difficult.

This August I will be graduating with a MA in Medical Humanities and Bioethics (actually, I am done - I just have to wait for the diploma), and I have previously published bioethics research. Hopefully, my thesis will yield another article or more.

Anyway, about a year or two ago, I started to think about going into clinical medicine again. I know I will need to retake my first two years of undergrad classes and pick up the prereqs I never took. I am leaning to a DIY at one of two local universities. In addition, I am applying to scribe/transport/advocate jobs and am looking into volunteering at hospitals. If I had the money, I would get a CNA or PCT, but all of the programs I have found cost more than I can afford without aid. Somehow all of this just seemed so much easier ten years ago.
Long story short, I appreciate you for reading this, and if you have any advice, I would appreciate that as well.