Trying to gauge my competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMEJake

Future Ginger Overlord
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the transition from 6th to 7th semester in the honors program at UConn, majoring in biomedical engineering with minor in material science engineering. My cumulative GPA is hovering just about in between a 3.6-3.7 on a 4.0 scale and my science GPA is probably 3.5-3.6 (it was around 3.45 without engineering classes due to B- both semesters of Orgo).
Extracurricularly:
-I've been an EMT since I was in high school (and actively volunteered since then), and went to fire school a year ago and have volunteered as a firefighter as well since then.
-For the past 3-4 years I've also found gainful employment in my local emergency room as a tech and recently started tech-ing in the operating room as well, scrubbing into procedures and helping however possible other than that. In addition I've been trained in phlebotomy, ECG recording and a few other basic clinical tasks.
-I've been a brother in a fraternity since freshman year (not a "frat") where I've held multiple high level leadership positions successfully and attended several leadership development opportunities.
-Last summer I participated in a medical relief trip to the mountains of Honduras and raised a lot of support from my hospital in terms of donated medications, toys, etc..
-Other than that I played a club sport for a while, and run regularly (I ran XC in high school and have run a few half-marathons since then with a full marathon coming up in the fall) and have been inducted into a Greek honor society, a purely academic honor society and served as in officer roles for the interfraternity community as a whole.

I'm applying to MD programs mostly in the NY, MA, PA, NJ, CT area and take my MCAT's in a week or so. From the practice tests I've taken I anticipate somewhere around a 33, evenly balanced. I'm trying to get a handle on where I would be competitive, what would be a stretch/safety and so on but being inexperienced with school's reputations all I have to go off of is average GPA and MCAT scores. My school list is pretty much completely location based at this point. Does anyone have any insight into where I fit in the continuum or where I should apply/not bother applying? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the transition from 6th to 7th semester in the honors program at UConn, majoring in biomedical engineering with minor in material science engineering. My cumulative GPA is hovering just about in between a 3.6-3.7 on a 4.0 scale and my science GPA is probably 3.5-3.6 (it was around 3.45 without engineering classes due to B- both semesters of Orgo).
Extracurricularly:
-I've been an EMT since I was in high school (and actively volunteered since then), and went to fire school a year ago and have volunteered as a firefighter as well since then.
-For the past 3-4 years I've also found gainful employment in my local emergency room as a tech and recently started tech-ing in the operating room as well, scrubbing into procedures and helping however possible other than that. In addition I've been trained in phlebotomy, ECG recording and a few other basic clinical tasks.
-I've been a brother in a fraternity since freshman year (not a "frat") where I've held multiple high level leadership positions successfully and attended several leadership development opportunities.
-Last summer I participated in a medical relief trip to the mountains of Honduras and raised a lot of support from my hospital in terms of donated medications, toys, etc..
-Other than that I played a club sport for a while, and run regularly (I ran XC in high school and have run a few half-marathons since then with a full marathon coming up in the fall) and have been inducted into a Greek honor society, a purely academic honor society and served as in officer roles for the interfraternity community as a whole.

I'm applying to MD programs mostly in the NY, MA, PA, NJ, CT area and take my MCAT's in a week or so. From the practice tests I've taken I anticipate somewhere around a 33, evenly balanced. I'm trying to get a handle on where I would be competitive, what would be a stretch/safety and so on but being inexperienced with school's reputations all I have to go off of is average GPA and MCAT scores. My school list is pretty much completely location based at this point. Does anyone have any insight into where I fit in the continuum or where I should apply/not bother applying? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MCAT is everything for you so we'll have to wait and see what you get. Assuming a 33 you should have a decent chance at a bunch of schools in New England/Middle states areas. UConn is probably your best bet. If possible try to increase GPA. You aren't that bad, but it's on the low side. Also, might want to tone down the fraternity stuff a bit. It's cool that you were into it, but it's not really something that helps you get into medical school and can even be seen as a negative by some.

Thanks for your advice!
UConn is definitely (by far) my top choice, and also the school who's culture, curriculum and staff I am most familiar with. I know my GPA isn't as high as it might be but I'm hoping that my major (by consensus one of the most difficult in the school) and the fact that my GPA puts me somewhere in the top 10-20% of my class might have some weight with admission boards. Does this have any basis in reality?

Right now my list comprises of:

UConn
Yale (why not)
UPitt
UPenn
NYU
New York Medical College
Drexel
Tufts
BU
University of Vermont
Mount Sinai
Albany Medical College

Any thoughts on which may be safeties/reaches?

I'm on the fence about my Fraternity involvement's role in my application. As now it's listed as one of my top extracurriculars, highlighting its huge role in my development of leadership skills and making clear that my chapter is truly a values based organization (explicitly stating no hazing whatsoever or systemic substance abuse takes place). I'm conflicted because my experience has been 100% positive and afforded me great personal growth but I do understand the stereotypes around fraternities and how that could be an instant turnoff for some people. This being the case I could certainly shift more focus to my relief efforts in Honduras instead of the fraternity involvement if I decide I need to. This being the case, do you really think the the negative stereotypes are prevalent enough in the application review committees that I should downplay my involvement for fear of it being misinterpreted?

Thanks,
Jake

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your advice!
UConn is definitely (by far) my top choice, and also the school who's culture, curriculum and staff I am most familiar with. I know my GPA isn't as high as it might be but I'm hoping that my major (by consensus one of the most difficult in the school) and the fact that my GPA puts me somewhere in the top 10-20% of my class might have some weight with admission boards. Does this have any basis in reality?

Right now my list comprises of:

UConn
Yale (why not)
UPitt
UPenn
NYU
New York Medical College
Drexel
Tufts
BU
University of Vermont
Mount Sinai
Albany Medical College

Any thoughts on which may be safeties/reaches?

I'm on the fence about my Fraternity involvement's role in my application. As now it's listed as one of my top extracurriculars, highlighting its huge role in my development of leadership skills and making clear that my chapter is truly a values based organization (explicitly stating no hazing whatsoever or systemic substance abuse takes place). I'm conflicted because my experience has been 100% positive and afforded me great personal growth but I do understand the stereotypes around fraternities and how that could be an instant turnoff for some people. This being the case I could certainly shift more focus to my relief efforts in Honduras instead of the fraternity involvement if I decide I need to. This being the case, do you really think the the negative stereotypes are prevalent enough in the application review committees that I should downplay my involvement for fear of it being misinterpreted?

Thanks,
Jake

Decent list so far. Yale, UPenn, Pitt, and NYU are all pretty big reaches. Obviously you can take your chances wherever you want, but keep in mind each of these stabs in the dark will cost you 150+ dollars. Add Temple, Hofstra, Einstein, maybe some of the SUNY schools (I'm not sure what their OOS policies are like).

The frat thing is fine to put on, but it really shouldn't be your major leadership formative blah blah experience. Sounds like you had a good one, but they have enough of a bad reputation that there is a big downside to using it. Most people won't care or will have an open mind. But it only takes one person at a given school to sink your app.

MCAT's came in yesterday. I scored a 35R, 12 Verbal, 12 Physics, 11 Biology. Any idea where this puts me in terms of competitiveness with my work experience, grades and such listed at the thread start? I'm amped about the score and I'm tempted to add a few more schools on the more competitive side, but I'm concerned about setting unrealistic expectations (after all MCAT's just one part of the puzzle and I've never played this game before). How much does this score help my chances? I think I need help from someone who's familiar with the process and has an experience perspective to determine where I should be setting my sights. At any rate its a huge relief to have scores back and I'm feeling a little more confident in my chances overall. :D

Thanks!

Oh and my application is submitted and verified. I only applied to 8 schools to start with but I'm looking to add at least 6-7 more. So far:

UConn
Yale
NYU
Albany Medical College
Temple
Drexel
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College

I live in CT and am limiting myself/ being limited to schools within driving distance.