Trying to get into a UC Need Advice

Started by tvanhens
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

T

tvanhens

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just finished my freshman year of college. I achieved a 3.28 first semester and a 4.0 second semester. I have a 4.0 BCPM and have begun independent study for MCATS as well as once a week tutoring for it. This year I didn't really get involved with much on campus, but I plan to next year. This summer I am shadowing an orthopedic surgeon for two weeks and I am getting basic EMT training. Next year I will be working two shifts as an EMT. Additionally I have one published paper in computer science and I am working on another research paper on computerized tomography.

I really want to get into a UC (particularly UCSF). However, I kind of slacked my first semester (3.28). I am confident I can get a 4.0 from here on out but that will only bring me up to a 3.9. What MCAT score would I need to achieve to be competitive for UCSF? Also, would it be better to volunteer in a hospital next semester, or would it be better to get involved with student leadership, because I have the opportunity for either but the time for only one?
 
Get a 46U

Oh, and Hospital Volunteering is needed more. You are going into medicine, not Politics.
 
Get a 46U

Oh, and Hospital Volunteering is needed more. You are going into medicine, not Politics.

That's too low. In three years, the MCAT will move to a 99 point system and they'll open up the writing portion to all letters of the alphabet. He'll need at least a 98 to make it. The WS still won't matter.