Tucom 4th year elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aycshen

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have questions for TUCOMers:confused: During the 4th year elective intership, can you apply the hospitals (like USC, UCLA..etc) you want to go or you can only attend the affiliated hospitals from TUCOM? Thanks!!

:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

you can pretty much do whatever you like during the fourth year electives as long as your preceptor is a u.s. trained do/md. however, core rotations still must be done at tucom affiliated hospitals. hope that helps.

-drgiggles

at TUCOM, during 4th year you do 5 rotations at Touro's affiliated hosp's and like giggles said your other 5 can be anywhere. So you could do your electives at UCLA, USC or whereever you want before the match. bye-

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the info. I have one more question. Can you do 5 elective rotation ( not in the TUCOM affiliated hospitals) first in the fall semester, then do the TUCOM affliated ones later? Or you can mix them (some affiliated, some not) throughout the 4th year?
:confused:

yes, you can. the basic idea behind having so many electives the fourth year is to allow students to rotate at institutions they might want to become residents at. i would guess the majority of students choose to do most of their electives early in the fourth year. fourth year students also get priority at core sites. in short, the fourth year is very flexible - you will find this is the case at most med schools i think.

Thank you!! The info is very helpful.
:clap:

Does anyone know if it's difficult to arrange non-core rotations at places in LA--like UCLA-Cedar Sinai, USC etc.?