TUCOM-CA Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MossPoh - what hotel did you stay at and do you recommend it?

...And for some reason, googlemaps can't do directions from "1310 Johnson Lane, Vallejo" to anywhere or vice versa?! will this be a problem with GPS?

It was not a problem with the GPS the rental gave me. The directions the school sends are pretty good as well. You technically meet at the Farragut Inn and not the main building. I stayed at the Comfort Inn in Vallejo. The staff is very nice there. They have a waffle maker...and its cheap. The rooms are good enough. Probably not as nice as the marriot, but I paid like 50 bucks less a night. It is near a bunch of restaurants, a best buy, and nice little neighborhoods. About 10 minutes drive from Mare Island. I'd say the comfort inn would suffice just fine unless you are nitpicky. They have wireless, a desk, nice bed...all the standard stuff. Pillows are the cheap cotton ones, but I dealt with it.

Members don't see this ad.

It was not a problem with the GPS the rental gave me. The directions the school sends are pretty good as well. You technically meet at the Farragut Inn and not the main building. I stayed at the Comfort Inn in Vallejo. The staff is very nice there. They have a waffle maker...and its cheap. The rooms are good enough. Probably not as nice as the marriot, but I paid like 50 bucks less a night. It is near a bunch of restaurants, a best buy, and nice little neighborhoods. About 10 minutes drive from Mare Island. I'd say the comfort inn would suffice just fine unless you are nitpicky. They have wireless, a desk, nice bed...all the standard stuff. Pillows are the cheap cotton ones, but I dealt with it.

awesome thanks for the tip!

If you do decide to go to the recommended Marriott don't use the discount code they give you..It only makes it more expensive than the normal rate and you get the same exact stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention. If you don't have a rental car, the marriot is probably preferable with the shuttle service and what not. I had a rental car and gps, so it was wherever I wanted to go.

If you do decide to go to the recommended Marriott don't use the discount code they give you..It only makes it more expensive than the normal rate and you get the same exact stuff.

No way, so instead of being a discount code, it's a "count code," huh? The dirtbags...

so did everyone attach their essays to the application?

The age of the schools is irrelevant in both of them. Touro-CA isn't that old. I actually think they are within 1 year of each other.

AZCOM has plenty of hospital affiliations...they are with midwestern. You're not going to go short.

I don't think either are tremendous in the "respect" category. They'll both get you to where you want to go. Which place gave you the best vibe? You can be as objective as you want, but in the end it is a gut feeling involving which place you believe you'll succeed at. You can check out the match lists for both to get a general idea. They both have some good, some average and some mediocre residencies.

Not to be neurotic (okay, yes, I am!) but has anyone who has interviewed in the last few weeks gotten their email to let them know their admission status? I keep refreshing my inbox... but nothing yet! :scared:

Not to be neurotic (okay, yes, I am!) but has anyone who has interviewed in the last few weeks gotten their email to let them know their admission status? I keep refreshing my inbox... but nothing yet! :scared:

Same here. He said 11-12ish, right? I have been keeping myself busy and away from the computer to make time go faster. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, I'm doing the same thing. I interviewed last week and felt like things went really well. Well enough that I pushed out all my other interviews to wait on Touro.... so I hope I get an email soon w/ an "acceptance" :)

same here. congrats to those with acceptances!!

haha. that is a lot of withdraws. good luck with western!

will the touro's let you transfer a deposit to one of their other sister schools?

:soexcited: Yaaa! Man, it sure felt good to get that email!

I'm high waitlist. I kind of like that more. It is essentially an acceptance but I don't have to commit to the two week deposit. lol Dr. Haight said that nearly everyone on the high waitlist gets accepted.

I'm still waiting to get my email. Hope they didn't forget about me. I don't have a very good feeling.

Finally got the email. I'm in!

Man, someone needs to not get in to make me feel a little better!

Man, someone needs to not get in to make me feel a little better!

Yeah, I am curious as to % of accept/waitlist/denied they have.

But honestly, getting a high waitlist isn't too bad. You don't need to pay non-refundable $2000.
$2000!!! Crazy.

Hi guys, I'm having a lot of trouble deciding between AZCOM and TUCOM-CA. The deposits are due very soon and I was hoping if anyone could give me their input-especially current students or others deciding b/w the two schools! these are the Main pros and cons for me (they are both excellent schools):

AZCOM pros: beautiful campus + others pros
cons-preceptorships in doctor's office settings mostly (vs the choice to work in hospitals as well which i would prefer), class size increase to 250, more recently founded.

TUCOM-CA: pros- more established school (been around longer), more hospital affiliations
cons-Didn't like sketchy/unsafe vibe i got from the location/campus, (esp. being a girl), students also said that it was kind of distant from food/places to go while NOT studying

Does anyone know which school is more well respected in the field and provides more/better clinical rotations/residencies for their students? And where each school usually sends their students to do rotations?

I know the school that is the best fit for me is the one I should choose, but as of now I can't decide. Any help would be appreciated in this difficult decision, thanks! :)

Here's a great list of rotation sites.
https://www.do-online.org/pdf/sir_postdocoptilist.pdf
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=535218&highlight=clinical+sites
It's a little bit lacking for Touro-CA but it should be listed on their website.
I guess since you can't decide, you could make location/rotation sites/cost of tuition a deciding factor.

waitlisted too; a little disappointed but i'm already accepted at another school

I was placed on the HIGH waitlist too!

Yea, I mean. It is probably the best scenario for me but it makes me feel like I screwed up the rest of my interviews during the week! They barely asked me any questions though, so I don't know what more I could've done at the Touro one.

yeah mosspoh, it sort of messed up my confidence a little going into these other interviews i have; plus, i don't like the panel interview.

Yeah, I guess I was disappointed about not getting accepted straight out :thumbdown:, but the fact that I don't have to shell out $2000 sometime within the next two weeks helps too :thumbup:, especially since I have other interviews to attend.

When would they let us know if we're taken off the waitlist and accepted (hopefully not rejected)?

Also, since we were part of the first 40 interviewees, does that mean that we're at the top of the waitlist?

Yeah, I guess I was disappointed about not getting accepted straight out :thumbdown:, but the fact that I don't have to shell out $2000 sometime within the next two weeks helps too :thumbup:, especially since I have other interviews to attend.

When would they let us know if we're taken off the waitlist and accepted (hopefully not rejected)?

Also, since we were part of the first 40 interviewees, does that mean that we're at the top of the waitlist?

I thought we would know in May cuz that's when they would stop interviewing and would make the final cuts and filling spots, etc. So waiting that long sucks. It's also lame cuz we're the first 40 and we can't get spots when there's all 100+ seats empty. Sketchy cuz Dr. Haight said he prefers to either accept or reject straight out in the beginning. He wasn't into waitlisting people this early cuz it's a waste. That's what he said.

I thought we would know in May cuz that's when they would stop interviewing and would make the final cuts and filling spots, etc. So waiting that long sucks. It's also lame cuz we're the first 40 and we can't get spots when there's all 100+ seats empty. Sketchy cuz Dr. Haight said he prefers to either accept or reject straight out in the beginning. He wasn't into waitlisting people this early cuz it's a waste. That's what he said.

Yeah, I remember him saying that too.

Congrats to those with acceptances. I have a question for you. Can you pay the $2000 deposit with a credit card? Also how do you send the payment? Is it an online link? snail mail? If it is snail mail do they go by postmark to determine if you responded to their offer within 2 weeks?

Yea. You do have to wait for a while probably. Sometimes they will accept you off of the list early. It depends where you are on the list. It sucks that you have to wait, but for me, it was not my first choice by any stretch so if I'm not getting ANY love by the other 6 schools I have interviews at so far, then I will stand a very strong chance at Touro. Dr. Haight did mention the waitlist thing but I suspect those of us on high waitlist are probably alright. It is just so early in the process they are hesitant to accept everyone since they have nobody to compare to. If you are on the high waitlist, I can almost guarantee a spot.

So, if waiting, go and enjoy other places and have fun interviewing. If you had your mind set on the place, then you just have to wait, so still go and have fun with other campuses.

Couldn't high waitlist right now turn into medium/low waitlist later? At all schools I'm familiar with, the waitlist is dynamic throughout interview season.

I was under the impression it wasn't TOO fluid. Just depends on the school. Some like to wait list a lot of people. Dr. Haight talked about trying to keep the wait list down and letting you know where you stand. Its not just a static list where they revaluate every time. If you're high waitlist then you're high waitlist and it means they want you but just not enough yet. :p

I was under the impression it wasn't TOO fluid. Just depends on the school. Some like to wait list a lot of people. Dr. Haight talked about trying to keep the wait list down and letting you know where you stand. Its not just a static list where they revaluate every time. If you're high waitlist then you're high waitlist and it means they want you but just not enough yet. :p

Makes sense. That's nice that you have a decent idea of where you stand, now.

Is anyone going to interview on 10/7 ? I'm going and just wondering what hotels people are staying in? I'm coming from FL. does anyone know their hospital affiliations?

Hi. Has anyone else been having trouble reaching the Admin office to set up an interview? I keep on getting theri answering machine... for the past 2-3 days

Hi. Has anyone else been having trouble reaching the Admin office to set up an interview? I keep on getting theri answering machine... for the past 2-3 days

Make sure you call west coast time ;)

Yea, the time difference is a huge thing to think about. Realize that until noon east coast, you may not get much of an answer. The plus is, you can call around 6 or 7 p.m.

I had trouble scheduling mine. I left a message with my name and return phone number. I received a call a couple of days later to schedule the interview.

I left a message and someone called back the next day to give me interview dates. I'll probably just leave another message when I chose a date and ask for a call back to confirm.

Congrats to those with acceptances. I have a question for you. Can you pay the $2000 deposit with a credit card? Also how do you send the payment? Is it an online link? snail mail? If it is snail mail do they go by postmark to determine if you responded to their offer within 2 weeks?

When you get the official acceptance letter they also send a credit card form, which you send back via snail mail. FYI, you also have to pay an additional $1,000, but this amount is not due until May.

I just sent my deposit today and will be canceling my interviews at CCOM, AZCOM, Touro NY, and PCOM. With my family & friends here, I'm so ecstatic that I got into Touro CA.

Good luck to everyone applying this year!

Can I have your PCOM and CCOM interviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.