TUCOM-CA Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danimjo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The application season has started and although last year's school specific threads hold a wealth of info. I'd like to start some dialogue around this years application process! Good luck!:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying this year...along with a few other DO schools and a ton of MD schools...hoping that I can get lucky...

retaking the MCAT to improve my chances overall....

my mdapplicants is on my profile, check it out and comment if you please...

I just got the secondary for this school in the mail yesterday! I'm excited it was one of the few schools I hadn't heard from yet!

Did you interview last year? How was it? When did you interview and when did you complete your secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never heard of MD applicants before... is it a website?

yea...it is a link to people's statistics (GPA/MCAT) to see what type of people are applying...its interesting to get feedback from people who know about the schools as well...

no, i did not apply last year, and have yet to receive a secondary...actually i have not been verified yet, still waiting on that...

yea...it is a link to people's statistics (GPA/MCAT) to see what type of people are applying...its interesting to get feedback from people who know about the schools as well...

no, i did not apply last year, and have yet to receive a secondary...actually i have not been verified yet, still waiting on that...

Thanks, it is interesting, and sort of intimidating to see the stats of some people who didn't get in last year... sheesh!

It looks like the essays are the same for TOURO CA and TOURO NV, does it matter if we use the same essays for both or should we write original essays?

Does anyone know where to find the Stats on the TOURO schools, number of interviews, number of matriculates, averages, etc?

Some one on SDN was saying the TOURO schools interview every applicant, so getting a secondary is basically equivalent to getting an interview invite.... but it seems unlikely to me that they would conduct 1,000 + interviews.... anyone know?

FYI.... found this regarding who the secondary and interview applicant process. Came from the tu.edu website under FAQ's. It looks like not every secondary gets an interview.

Q. What is the TUCOM policy regarding who receives supplemental applications and who receives interviews?

A. It is the policy of the Admissions and Standards Committee that only those applicants who meet minimum application requirements shall receive supplemental applications. In addition, not all candidates who submit supplemental applications will be invited to attend an interview. Applicants that do not qualify for a supplemental application may email the Office of Admissions ([email protected]) to determine what criteria were not met.

Does anyone know where to find the Stats on the TOURO schools, number of interviews, number of matriculates, averages, etc?

Some one on SDN was saying the TOURO schools interview every applicant, so getting a secondary is basically equivalent to getting an interview invite.... but it seems unlikely to me that they would conduct 1,000 + interviews.... anyone know?

So...I interviewed for c/o 2013, and this is a very rough estimate based on memory of what was told of us:

Around 4000 applicants
Around 2000 secondaries sent out
Around 400 interviews
About 100 seats

That's what I remember...hope that helps.

My advice: make sure you research the schools and have a good interest in attending them. If you don't, don't waste your money on secondaries and travel expenses, they add up bad (plus, you'll need this for your move and for books! Yikes). After that, just apply as early as possible. Don't put it on hold. Good luck.

For some reason I think Touro does more than just 400 interviews. Does anyone know where you can find COMLEX information for Touro, not just pass percentages and what residencies most of their graduates go in to???

Thanks, it is interesting, and sort of intimidating to see the stats of some people who didn't get in last year... sheesh!

Don't get discouraged!! If you look over most of these stats, there are some people with very good GPA/MCAT who didn't get in to most schools and some with average stats that got in to some great schools. Remember, there are so many factors that go in to all of it....

Don't get discouraged!! If you look over most of these stats, there are some people with very good GPA/MCAT who didn't get in to most schools and some with average stats that got in to some great schools. Remember, there are so many factors that go in to all of it....

Thank you! I think I needed that reminder....

Members don't see this ad :)
For some reason I think Touro does more than just 400 interviews. Does anyone know where you can find COMLEX information for Touro, not just pass percentages and what residencies most of their graduates go in to???

Yeah, I just realized you're probably right, as I was told this information when I interviewed in Jan. Anyways...

To add to the whole aspect of looking at those amazing applicants, I just wanted to say that I was not one of those. I'm pretty much subpar as far as I'm concerned. As long as you believe you are capable enough to handle medical school, then apply. Some of it is luck, such as who gets your app and approves you, as well as their mood. Dr. Haight, the Dean of Students and Director of Admissions, is really nice, and told us he's kind of the first line of what your apps go through. Just be honest in your personal statement, and when you get an interview, maintain your pose and be calm, keep eye contact and have faith in yourself. Good luck! I just bought most of my books today, yikes! ;)

Hey guys! I just got an interview invite! =)

To help y'all out, this is a summary of my process at Touro:

Primary submitted: 5/31
Secondary received: 7/6
Secondary submitted: 7/29
Secondary complete: 7/31
Interview invite: 8/4

Congrats! I got an invite today. I think I read somewhere that they interview the same place us Touro Nevada; I got an interview with them later this month. Does anyone know if this is true?

Ahh, congrats voodoo and copper! VooDooo. . . when were you complete, do you know?

How did the interview invite come? (phone, e-mail, snail mail....?) I emailed to check my status and was told that as of today I am complete. I was also told that I would be hearing from them shortly via snail mail. I am terrified that it's a bad sign (rejections were always snail mail in my experience last year) :-/

Ahh, congrats voodoo and copper! VooDooo. . . when were you complete, do you know?

How did the interview invite come? (phone, e-mail, snail mail....?) I emailed to check my status and was told that as of today I am complete. I was also told that I would be hearing from them shortly via snail mail. I am terrified that it's a bad sign (rejections were always snail mail in my experience last year) :-/

They send the invites via snail mail. I dont know why. Hopefully I'll be getting mine soon

Last edited:

Hey! Interview invite was via snail mail. Thanks and Good luck to you!

I got an email from admissions saying an interview invite was mailed to me on 8/4. Since I live in Illinois it will probably take a while to get here.
Thanks to Copper coins for the help!

Oooh. Thanks you guys! Just made me totally more optimistic.

Got an Interview! Interviewing September 14th! Ohhhh Excited! :D

I got my letter for an interview today, will be interviewing on September 21st.

i got my invite today as well. the school is located REALLY far from the airports.

i got my invite today as well. the school is located REALLY far from the airports.

At least they have shuttle service and a solid arrangement with the Marriot. Dont need a car. I was impressed with the set-up they have for interviewees as far as accomodations. Pretty organized & good info in the invite packet.

Interview Invite! I have to call and set the date on Monday, but I'm so excited! For those of you who set up your interviews late last week what where the dates they offered?

I saw someone got an interview September 14th, I have an interview at TOURO NV on the 15th so that might work, to fly from one straight to the other....

*Just confirmed today... interview at TOURO CA on september 14th, and at TOURO NV on the 15th. Is anyone else doing that as well?

Last edited:
I was hoping someone could help me out by letting me know what the secondary prompts...I was just verified and have yet to receive the secondary...I would really appreciate it...thanks...

I was hoping someone could help me out by letting me know what the secondary prompts...I was just verified and have yet to receive the secondary...I would really appreciate it...thanks...

Just got my interview invite. . . so excited!!!!

Just got my secondary, my AACOMAS took forever to process. Still, it's good to see all these interviews already. I'm glad the Tuoro CA and the Tuoro NV applications are the same, though, that saves me a lot of trouble, haha...

hey there, can you send me in the right direction for the Touro secondary prompt. its posted on here along with the other DO secondaries but i cant seem to find it, my searching skills are burnt out today. thanks,

-zach

Anyone got rejected presecondary? I haven't got my Aug 5 MCAT result yet but they straight out rejected me :(

Anyone got rejected presecondary? I haven't got my Aug 5 MCAT result yet but they straight out rejected me :(

Ouch! I am so sorry to hear that.... What a bummer, on the plus side though at least you didn't pay to fly out and interview.... where else have you applied?

Does this school offer student hosts to stay with?

Those who received interviews when did you schedule?

That is a good question, regarding our ability to stay with students...I was offered an interview on Friday...I am excited to make the journey cross-country...

To those of you waiting for interviews, how did you receive notification of the receipt of your secondary? I finally got mine in this week and was wondering how I would hear back from them.

To those of you waiting for interviews, how did you receive notification of the receipt of your secondary? I finally got mine in this week and was wondering how I would hear back from them.

Letter in the mail, I believe. I can't remember for sure.

My complete notification and interview invite came in the mail.

Any other SDNer interviewing here any time soon?

I recieved my complete notice and interview invite the same day by snail mail.

I'll be interviewing mid-October. Hey did anyone find scheduling an interview to be a pain. I had to call several times, because no one would return my calls. I guess I can't blame them they must be super busy reviewing apps.

Do you mind telling us your stats? I haven't received my mcat score either, but they sent me a snail mail abt they want to see the score

Hello,

I'm a first year student at Touro and went through the application cycle last year. I just wanted to say good luck and give you my humble advice.

Above all, be yourself and be confident in yourself as an applicant. Don't get caught up in comparing yourself to other applicants around you...it is so easy to do. But in the end, we are all such unique people, and what do numbers on a page really tell you about someone?

Touro is a great school with an amazing faculty. I wish you all the best of luck with your applications.

One more small piece of advice... enjoy this year and realize that this process is the beginning of your journey to medicine. So don't forget to have fun!

Do you mind telling us your stats? I haven't received my mcat score either, but they sent me a snail mail abt they want to see the score

Touro CA students have an average MCAT score of 27.90, its the highest among DO schools, pretty impressive for a relatively new school as well.

I am interviewing there in October, they gave me info for the Courtyard Hotel, it seems pretty expensive since I plan to stay for 2 nights. Any other inexpensive alternatives with shuttle service from SFO to Vallejo in the area?

I don't think we're the highest...Western has higher. Anyways...

To those with interviews...I still have to talk to one more of my roommates (there are 4 of us), but it looks like we'll be able to house one or two people for the night if you have an interview. We have one small and one large couch in the living room, and we live in a house on the island, about 5 minutes (yes, 5 minutes by car) to the campus. It'll be first come, first serve, so PM me if interested and I'll see what I can find out for you. Good luck!