TUCOM-CA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New year, new thread for discussion. Let's hear it folks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I know this question gets really old and redundant, but I would like to know what you guys think my chances are of getting into Touro with these stats. I applied for the 2011 class however, I applied a month before the deadline. Thanks any help is appreciated.
I am from UCR
My Cum GPA is a 3.42
my SciGPA is a 3.5
my MCAT is a 23R(PS 9 V 6 BS 8) :(
My EC activities include:
Currently I work as an EMT and have been doing so for the past 4 months
On campus Tutor for the subjects of General Chem, OChem, Biochem for 3 years
Supplemental Instructions leader for Biochem course offered at my university for 1 year
I was the volunteer and fundraising chair for a organization on campus
I was health science mentor
I was in Alpha Phi Omega Community service fraternity
3 years of Organic Chem research
1 year as an intern for Clinical Care extender( hospital experience)
1 year Intermural basketball
was placed on dean's honor list 6 different quarters and chancellors list

with those stats, all I want to know about is the MCAT. Why? and how many times have you taken it?

Hi Everyone,

I know this question gets really old and redundant, but I would like to know what you guys think my chances are of getting into Touro with these stats. I applied for the 2011 class however, I applied a month before the deadline. Thanks any help is appreciated.
I am from UCR
My Cum GPA is a 3.42
my SciGPA is a 3.5
Supplemental Instructions leader for Biochem course offered at my university for 1 year

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, what are my chances for this great school because if I dont even have a chance, should I even bother applying?

MCAT: 24, GPA: 3.3 science, Cum. 3.7, non-science 3.9, extracurriculars, leadership, 3 semesters of research, volunteering etc.

The MCAT was a shock to me as well, I had studied for that exam for a year and I tutor more than half the subjects on the exam, but for some reason the verbal section is something I was never able to improve. I should have done better in the other section. My error may have been in finishing the exam so quickly, but when I had taken it, I had felt very confident that I did well......

I took the MCAT 3 times, but only one score is posted, I had voided the two previous times.

I took the MCAT 3 times, but only one score is posted, I had voided the two previous times.

I think it won't hurt to actually apply and see what happens -- good thing about Touro is that they pre-screen you for your secondary, they don't just give it to you; so if you do get a secondary be sure that your stats and everything were already looked at and approved of.

Hi Everyone,

I am from UCR
My Cum GPA is a 3.42
my SciGPA is a 3.5

Touro-CA and Touro-NV upped their minimum MCAT to a 25...so I would not apply here without retaking it.

When did they up their minimum??? I applied for the 2010-2011 cycle and got a secondary still, i just applied super late

When did they up their minimum??? I applied for the 2010-2011 cycle and got a secondary still, i just applied super late

They increased it for this cycle (2011-2012). I am pretty sure that they sent an announcement out anyway (I am a reapplicant), though I find it weird that this information is not on their website yet...Though it doesnt look like the website has been update for the class of 2016, it still has all of the class of 2015 stuff on it.

are last year's secondary questions posted somewhere?

what's the minimum subsection score to get a secondary? 6, 7, or 8?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am really hoping to get in to Touro-COM-CA!!!

Does anyone know, do they give preference to CA residents?

Also, what do you guys think of their campus? (I think its really cool, but a little shocking at first).

I am really hoping to get in to Touro-COM-CA!!!

Does anyone know, do they give preference to CA residents?

Also, what do you guys think of their campus? (I think its really cool, but a little shocking at first).

I've never been. What is shocking about it?

I've never been. What is shocking about it?

The campus is on the end of a small island that is an old decomissioned naval base. When you first drive onto the island, you mostly see these big, broken down and boarded up industrial buildings. Not exactly the most welcoming sight. It kind of looks like the set of a horror movie. Once you get past that first part of the island, the rest is rather nice.

Received an invitation to submit the supplementary!

"Your AACOMAS primary application has been received and reviewed by the TUCOM, California Admissions Committee. Congratulations on successfully completing the first phase of the admissions process! The policy with regards to who receives Supplementary Applications varies from school to school. Not all candidates for admission to TUCOM are invited to move on to the next phase. For more information regarding TUCOM's admissions requirements and procedures, please refer to the Admissions web site at www.tu.edu/COMadmissions.

To begin this next phase in the admissions process, you must first complete and submit the Supplementary Application as soon as possible. For your convenience, the supplemental application is available on-line by visiting the above link, then clicking on “Supplemental Application”. ........ "

In case any of you are wondering:
My primary app was downloaded by TUCOM on 6/23.
And my stats are: 3.6 sciGPA, 30 MCAT

Received an invitation to submit the supplementary!

"Your AACOMAS primary application has been received and reviewed by the TUCOM, California Admissions Committee. Congratulations on successfully completing the first phase of the admissions process! The policy with regards to who receives Supplementary Applications varies from school to school. Not all candidates for admission to TUCOM are invited to move on to the next phase. For more information regarding TUCOM's admissions requirements and procedures, please refer to the Admissions web site at www.tu.edu/COMadmissions.

To begin this next phase in the admissions process, you must first complete and submit the Supplementary Application as soon as possible. For your convenience, the supplemental application is available on-line by visiting the above link, then clicking on “Supplemental Application”. ........ "

In case any of you are wondering:
My primary app was downloaded by TUCOM on 6/23.
And my stats are: 3.6 sciGPA, 30 MCAT

are you instate or out of state?

I'm kinda confused on completing the secondary... there's four lines of space (not like a big white box, but literally 4 white boxes), so how much space does that give us?

Secondly, I sincerely hope this isn't an application I have to send it via mail T_T, because so far its looking like it.

Just coming in to say hello early in the thread. I will be re-applying to Touro-CA if I am not accepted this during this cycle.

Good luck to everyone.

:luck:

Just coming in to say hello early in the thread. I will be re-applying to Touro-CA if I am not accepted this during this cycle.

Good luck to everyone.

:luck:

what were ur stats this past cycle if u dont mind me asking.

I can't be too sure, but I think that your stats are only used for the secondary application screening process. When it comes down to interview invitations, they read over your secondary application and make a decision based on who you are as a "whole person". Some people think that DO is just a backdoor way at becoming an MD; that is completely false. Most DO physicians embrace the philosophy of a wholistic approach to medicine and I am sure that carries over into the admissions process as well. I'll send you my stats in a PM if you want me to, they are unimpressive. I don't think it will do you any good to tabulate our stats and rank yourself in your own list (They'll do that for us).

If you've made up your mind about becoming a DO, you'll get in no matter what stats you have. You'll keep trying to improve your application until it get's accepted.

Here is a question I need an answer for. I think I'll call them up again today and ask it.

Q: What role to stats play in the wait-list selection process? (if any)

Here is the answer I expect to get:

A: That is confidential information and I can't answer that question for you.

i'm pretty sure that stats play a role in who gets a secondary, interview, and acceptance...

I have a question regarding the supplemental application. Is it one page PER question or one page TOTAL for both questions?

I have a question regarding the supplemental application. Is it one page PER question or one page TOTAL for both questions?

I had the same question. I emailed admissions and they responded- Please Read the Directions. I scoured the website, secondary email and the supplemental app and still wasn't sure if it was one page total or one per question. Long story short, I still don't know and now admissions thinks I am dumb. Great! :)

Last edited:
I had the same question. I emailed admissions and they responded- Please Read the Directions. I scoured the website, secondary email and the supplemental app and still wasn't sure if it was one page total or one per question. Long story short, I still don't know and now admissions thinks I am dumb. Great! :)

That's exactly what I did. They emailed me back with the same response. Im sp confused! Most schools usually want short answers so I don't know why they would want such long responses.

That's exactly what I did. They emailed me back with the same response. Im sp confused! Most schools usually want short answers so I don't know why they would want such long responses.

Because they have made a point of indicating in the FAQ to keep supplemental responses brief and that that lengthy responses are more likely to be skimmed than thoroughly read I think I am going to stick with one page total.

I'm kinda confused on completing the secondary... there's four lines of space (not like a big white box, but literally 4 white boxes), so how much space does that give us?

Secondly, I sincerely hope this isn't an application I have to send it via mail T_T, because so far its looking like it.

Yeah, I was wondering that too. Questions 15 and 16 of the secondary app are 4 separate lines, but each line apparently goes on forever. Are we supposed to just give a short 2-3 sentence answer for these questions?

I think it's one page for each question (notice EACH is in bold). I assume it's also double spaced, which means really only half a page single spaced. So far, I am having trouble keeping either one of them less than a page single spaced! :scared:

18. PROVIDE A ONE PAGE, COMPUTER-GENERATED RESPONSE TO EACH OF THE FOLLOWING PROMPTS:
1. Describe the personal characteristics you possess and the life experiences you have had that would contribute to your becoming an outstanding osteopathic physician. Please include information that will enable the Admissions Committee to understand your unique qualities.
2. Describe your exposure to and understanding of Osteopathic Medicine. Content may include your initial introduction to the profession, its history, use in medical practice today, or any other aspects that may highlight Osteopathic Medicine's uniqueness and synergy with your envisioned future practice of medicine.

Yeah, I was wondering that too. Questions 15 and 16 of the secondary app are 4 separate lines, but each line apparently goes on forever. Are we supposed to just give a short 2-3 sentence answer for these questions?

Actually, the lines do not go on forever. Not sure what version of web browser you are using. I have internet explorer.

one page for each question seems way too long. I've never had a supplemental essay question that long. I'm going to stick with one page total as well.

I think it's one page for each question (notice EACH is in bold). I assume it's also double spaced, which means really only half a page single spaced. So far, I am having trouble keeping either one of them less than a page single spaced! :scared:

one page for each question seems way too long. I've never had a supplemental essay question that long. I'm going to stick with one page total as well.

Man, what is this? Is TUCOM-CA trying to test our verbal skills here? :confused:

I think one page each question is too long as well. Anyone know what consensus was for last cycle's secondary?

I've submitted the secondary and limited it to one page for EACH of the two questions. In previous years they only asked one essay question and said to limit it to a page. They have just added an additional essay question (the first question is the same one they had in the past). So the limit is one page per question. Up to you how long to make it...

I've submitted the secondary and limited it to one page for EACH of the two questions. In previous years they only asked one essay question and said to limit it to a page. They have just added an additional essay question (the first question is the same one they had in the past). So the limit is one page per question. Up to you how long to make it...

Oh, ok, thanks for clearing it up. Did you double space?

Oh, ok, thanks for clearing it up. Did you double space?

I really think it is up to you whether to double space or not...otherwise they would have specified how they wanted it. They only specify font size (12).

I think mine was 1.5 spaced just to make it easier to read but still leave room to give a substantive answer.

Good luck!

I'm getting a bit frustrated with this application. Asking all of the same questions that I've worked so hard on filling out in my AACOMAS application isn't really amusing. Even moreso is the archaic html-type secondary applications. It's 2011 isn't it? :rolleyes:

I'm getting a bit frustrated with this application. Asking all of the same questions that I've worked so hard on filling out in my AACOMAS application isn't really amusing. Even moreso is the archaic html-type secondary applications. It's 2011 isn't it? :rolleyes:

:thumbup: I thought it was 2011 last time I checked my calendar... but who knows really

Has anyone been offered an interview yet? Just wondering how soon they will begin interviewing. Some schools don't start until September, others start in August...

Man!!

I live outside of the US, and it took so long for me to mail everything back to California, and after 2 weeks I'm finally complete.

From now on, :xf:

After taking a look at the 2010-2011 thread, I am a little confused about how the process works at Touro-CA. There are high waitlist, medium waitlisters, early decision, deferred decision? Do they accept many people right away? Or does a large portion of their class come off the waitlist?

Same here...complete and feeling the tension...

Good luck to us all. The waiting game is no fun...

I am guessing they require fairly short answers about a paragraph in length, but does anyone know for sure?

I am guessing they require fairly short answers about a paragraph in length, but does anyone know for sure?

You can just use the space provided...the instructions say you can attach a separate sheet of paper if necessary but to limit the length of your answers. So it isn't a set length- but seeing as how they only provide about 4 lines I don't think you should use much more if you attach a separate sheet. I would limit it to a very short paragraph.

Any interviews out there yet? I wish TUCOM CA had early decision :(

Okay, this might be a stupid question but oh well...

Did you guys copy and paste the application into a Word document and THEN fill it out? Or did you fill it out on the actual website and then just print it from there?

Does anyone know how many people apply to Touro-CA and how many get interviews?