TUCOM-CA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how many people apply to Touro-CA and how many get interviews?
When I applied last year they said 4,000 apply and about 400 get interviewed and 135 make up the final class.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, this might be a stupid question but oh well...

Did you guys copy and paste the application into a Word document and THEN fill it out? Or did you fill it out on the actual website and then just print it from there?

Nevermind! I filled it out online and then printed directly from there. :)

Okay, this might be a stupid question but oh well...

Did you guys copy and paste the application into a Word document and THEN fill it out? Or did you fill it out on the actual website and then just print it from there?

You fill it out on-line and then hit print

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I mailed my secondary to them... I think on monday. Now what? I wish there was a way of confirming that they received it. Is there?

So, I mailed my secondary to them... I think on monday. Now what? I wish there was a way of confirming that they received it. Is there?

I recieved an application complete email yesterday. I mailed mine in on friday.

Here's what it said:
All required materials for your TUCOM-CA applicant file have been received and your file is now complete and eligible for committee review. Should the Committee decide to invite you to attend an interview, you will be notified via email. Please note that invitations to interview may be sent at any time between now and the end of April and submission of application materials does not guarantee an interview.

If you have questions about your application status, please email Ms. Lynn Huckle at [email protected].

TUCOM-CA

Office of Admissions

For those using VirtualEvals to submit letters:

I got a status email stating that it was incomplete and missing letters. My letters were uploaded on June 30. I contacted Lynn Huckle and she said some letters were not downloaded properly.

so check your application status and contact the school if you have issues with your app.

Got an interview! I have not scheduled yet but I'll update when I do...:cool:

Last edited:
does anyone know when the earliest day to interview is? I tried calling but they weren't picking up and i want to see the flight information before I can pick a date
Thanks

Congrats!
did you guys get interview invites via email?

Same here- interview invite today via email! (Was complete in late July)

wooo got an interview invite too!! my 1st one.. too juiced!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Scheduled 09/26...Very first group:cool:.

Anyone else scheduled for this time? If so where you coming from and how you getting there (landing where if flying). I'm looking around and the cheapest flights I can find are via southwest at some weird times.

Same here, Sep 26th interview! VERY exciting!

those of u who got interview invites...do u mind sharing ur stats?
and if ur IS or OOS.

got an invite too!

Last edited:
Interview set for October 3rd :) so pumped!

Congrats on your interviews! I am one of the first few people accepted into C/O 2016 from last cycle. Just be yourself in the interview. Know why you want to be an osteopath and know how you want to affect the world around you as a doctor. I cannot tell you how some people in my panel blew the interview by not being prepared for these questions and did not practice even talking to multiple people at once. Please edit how much you say too and make sure it has substance, I felt like some people took being at the interview as a joke or were too nervous and just wasted everyone's time.
Good luck!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know what percentage of interviewees get accepted at this school?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know what percentage of interviewees get accepted at this school?

At my interview in April they said they interview 425 students and accept 135. Hope that helps.

they accept 200 and 135 enroll

That makes sense. I was just thinking about how many people are in the class. I don't think Dr. Haight mentioned to us how many above the 135 were also accepted, but that sounds about right.

does anyone know how different the application process is across the Touro campuses (specifically California and Nevada). does applying to one affect your application at another campus?

Not in any way does your application at one affect the other. You have to think of them as entirely separate institutions as far as admissions processes go (and they are mostly run this way except for at the upper executive level).

does anyone know how different the application process is across the Touro campuses (specifically California and Nevada). does applying to one affect your application at another campus?

Attending interview on Monday 10/3/2011.

3.66 sciGPA, 3.63 cumGPA, 30 MCAT, in-state.

Good luck everyone!!!!

I got the secondary in mid july but was too daunted to complete it. Is it too late to submit now? Please advise.

I got the secondary in mid july but was too daunted to complete it. Is it too late to submit now? Please advise.

No, it is never too late, unless it's too late.
Most of their secondaries will come from the late group around december and november. I turned my secondary in on March!

Got the email for an interview :D

good luck everybody

Congrats on your interviews! I am one of the first few people accepted into C/O 2016 from last cycle. Just be yourself in the interview. Know why you want to be an osteopath and know how you want to affect the world around you as a doctor. I cannot tell you how some people in my panel blew the interview by not being prepared for these questions and did not practice even talking to multiple people at once. Please edit how much you say too and make sure it has substance, I felt like some people took being at the interview as a joke or were too nervous and just wasted everyone's time.
Good luck!

Hey! I'll be seeing you next year! Im also class of 2016. I was accepted into the 2015 class but deferred a year to help my mom after she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I was thinking it may be early butI wanted to go ahead and start a Facebook page for 2016 if there isn't one already. Anyone know what the status on that is?

Got an interview!!!! PHEW! First choice school! Good luck! October 18th! MCAT 29Q GPA 3.44

Last edited:
Interview Invite! 3.3 sgpa and 25P MCAT, so I was very surprised and relieved to have gotten at least one invite

does secondary = interview for tourocom-CA, like it does for tourocom-NY?

No, I don't think so. I got my interview three weeks after my secondary.

let me ask a diff question.

is there anyone that got a secondary that did not get an interview??

That's not a different question, it's the same question asked in a different manner (and it's the same question you asked in the other TUCOM thread).

Ok enough of me being a jerk for no reason. For TUCOM, in no way does a secondary equal an interview invite. They give secondaries to FAR FAR more applicants than they invite to interview.

So I recently got an interview invite from Touro and they said it will be a panel-style.

Are there any current Touro students who can tell me what interviewing with a panel is like? Do you shake each person's hand beforehand? Do they have business cards in front of them for you to collect??

I'm very interested.
Thanks!:confused:

So I recently got an interview invite from Touro and they said it will be a panel-style.

Are there any current Touro students who can tell me what interviewing with a panel is like? Do you shake each person's hand beforehand? Do they have business cards in front of them for you to collect??

I'm very interested.
Thanks!:confused:

Each interviewer will have a name tag so I remembered their names. There are initial introductions and each interviewer takes turns asking questions to each applicant. It wasn't as nerve racking as I thought it would be! The school is awesome

Last edited:
Those of you who have submitted secondaries, did you write 2 essays that were 1 page each or did you write both essays on 1 page?

To anyone who has interviewed at TUCOM-CA before....

1. I know that the interview is open file and panel format. Does that mean they only have access to the secondary app or your gpas, mcat scores as well? If they do, do they ask a question asking you to explain a certain grade you've received in a course? :scared:

They have everything in front of them -- they will ask you questions based off of your primary AND secondary. These questions are mostly based off of your EC's, experiences, and essays written. No questions based off of your grades, unless you wrote that in your essay and thought it was important.

The questions will be based on expanding upon your ideas and things you wrote in addition to classic questions (why DO, why medicine, etc.)

2. Approximately how many questions does each person get asked? About 3-4 right?

Yep, about 3-4 questions/person

3. After the interview, when the committee has to make a final decision, do they reconsider your stats again or is it just based on your character/personality at your interview?

IMO, no. I believe that they've already looked through all of that before your interview -- you'll get your answer pretty quickly.
Good thing about getting an interview before December, is that they don't have any set # of students they have to accept. So theoretically, they can accept all the student interviewing, as opposed to later in the year where it'll be probably 2-4 students per interview.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated!!! THanks!!!