TUCOM D.O. LETTER

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoCal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The TUCOM secondary asks for a letter from a DO or an MD. I can get a letter from a DO that sort of knows me. I know he will write a good letter, but I don't know how personal it will be. I can get an excellent letter from an MD, and it will be very personal. Although they ask for either, would they prefer the DO letter?

Members don't see this ad.

They would definitely prefer the D.O. letter to show that you have had contact with the career field. Since you can get a stronger letter from the M.D., I would say send both!

i agree with tree. send letters from both a DO and an MD, as having two cannot hurt if they are both favorable letters.

btw, hi tree! :) any news yet? i "updated" my file at tucom with an email but otherwise, no word yet so i'm just waiting...and waiting...and wondering.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you both for your response. Is it a bad idea to send both, since they only ask for one? I would love to send both, but I don't know how they would feel about this.

Hi SoCal,

I would call the school anonymously and say something like, "I would like to send recommendations from a DO AND an MD. Do you know how that is looked upon and if that is possible? If I cant send both, which is preferred?" Im sure theyll be helpful! Either way, its nice to have two possibilities for a recommendation. :)

Hi everyone
this is my forst post.

I think it would be to your advantage to send any recommendations personal and professional to each school. They would prefer an DO but it won't take anything away from your app if you have another recommendation that would make you look really good.

Hope that helps!

socal: when i sent my letters in, i used my school committee letter. in the packet that the school sent out, i had a few letters from MDs with the letters from my professors. but then, i also sent a seperate letter from a DO to all the osteopathic schools (i applied to both MD and DO schools). hope that helps...i really don't think they look DOWN upon you sending in a DO and an MD letter. they just want you to send in a letter from a some kind of medical doctor.