TUCOM Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luwi25

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have an interview scheduled for TUCOM on September 29th and I was wondering if you could give me some input on how to prepare in terms of:

1)How is the interview structured? (Panel or single interviews & how long do they take)

2)What kind of questions do they throw at you? ( Any examples would be great so I can know what to expect.)

3)What is the atmosphere of the interview like? (Rigid, neutral or super kick back)

Finally, anyone else out there have an interview scheduled that day? It would be great to have a fellow SDNer there so we can support each other.

Thank you ahead of time for your thoughts and input guys!
:D

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the info Slickness! My TUCOM file was complete around the end of July (maybe the 25th) and I got my invite the first week of August. They told me that the earliest I could schedule was the 29th of Sep and since it is a Monday and I would then only be missing one day of school, I agreed to that day. Schedule it then if you can! I say, the earlier the better right? Anyway, keep me updated on if you get an interview that day. Good Luck to you!! :)

Luwi25,
I also have an interview on September 29th. I looked at interview feedback to see what kind of questions were asked last year. I believe the interview is panel style with 4 interviewers and 4 interviewees. Where are you going to stay on Sunday night?

Members don't see this ad :)
Slickness,

My app was complete 8/8. I believe these people are getting invites because they finished their app earlier. They're part of the early decision thing where they get their invites first. If you got an email, it'll come. I'm waiting on mine too but no worries - you're time (and mine) will come too =)

wow that's good news. I hope mine came in the mail today. I'm still at work...ugh...annoying aircraft production issues.

Anybody interviewing Oct. 7th?! It'd be nice to chill 'n ill with osteo SDN'ers. Kinda nervous since its my first interview (and I'm sure, the first for many others), but I hear interviews at TUCOM are pretty laid back. Peace...

Turkdlit, I'll be there October 7th staying at Best Western Inn at Marine World. My name is Blake Miller, hope to see you there. Good luck.

Blake

Hey there Blake, I'll also be staying at the Holiday Inn on the night of the 6th...my name is Mete Akin, and hope to see you there too. Will see you at the interview for sure though, good luck home slice.

Is anybody interviewing for the EDP on Sept. 3rd?! I'm staying at the Best Western Inn so let me know! It'd be nice to have someone to hang out with to help ease the nerves!!

Waddup slick,

After bugging out for a few weeks about how much I didn't want to do early decision, and beating myself up for choosing it, I called them and asked if I could change. Apperantly they allow for one interview change, no questions asked, so they're not going to hold it against me.

Sucks 'cause I had to get another plane ticket...but that means 2 trips to the beautiful bay area :D so its all gravy...

To who ever may be interested:

I interviewed at TUCOM twice, so I am very familar with their process. I got in the second time, but choose to go to TCOM due to the huge difference in tuition and cost of living in the bay area. However, I was very excited to get accepted to TUCOM and think they are a great school even though I didn't go. Anyway, stay at the best western, because in the morning you meet with Dr. Haight (the dean of admissions who is very cool and will be very clear as far as admissions process which is very refreshing, and is very insightful) before going to the campus at the hotel for breakfast and a breifing of the day/admissions process. You then shuttle over to the island (about 10 min.) and get a plethora of boring meetings about finacial aid, rotations... on and on. Pay attention if you can because it may affect your decision, but it is actually pretty boring. Then you go to your interviews at about 11:00 I think (maybe later). the interview is panel style with 4 or 5 panelers, including a student usually. The two times I went there were 2 or 3 people who were laid back and 1 or 2 who kinda asked the tougher quesitons. But it wasn't too bad. One thing to keep in mind is that it is a little more difficult to distinguish yourself in a panel format (there are 4 other interviewees in there with you), so pick your moments and make full advantage of them. Overall, the interview was cool and the admissions and faculty seemed very helpful. I don't remember any specific questions asked at the interview, but be prepared to discuss osteopathy, they might not ask but if they do you better be ready. They asked one of the girls in my group who AT Still was. She knew but didn't have much to add to just "father of osteopathy." I think they were looking for more. You'll love SF and the bay area, enjoy your interview. They treat you nice and respectfully, they won't jerk you around like some places. Enjoy it! Good Luck!

I am a first year student at TUCOM. I think the other poster mentioned that the interview is in panel format. One very important thing that some folks forget is that you may have not only a DO or PhD on your panel but an MD as well. So if you are asked why you have chosen a DO school be careful about bashing MD's. If anyone does not want to stay in a hotel you are welcome to stay with me. My husband and I have a 4 bedroom home so there is plenty of room and I would be happy to share with you why I chose TUCOM and love the school.

Tess

tess, what's your contact info? maybe you could PM me? i'd be interested in hearing about your experience there.

-Jonathan

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all of you who already have interview invites. I'm a first year student at TUCOM, and like it very much so far. If any of you need a place to crash for the night, I'll be happy to lend my place. I live on the Island, so TUCOM is literally 30 seconds away.
Let me know how I can be of help.

Paul
[email protected]

Hi Paul!

Since you're a proud TUCOM student already, maybe you (OR anyone else that would know) could help me out. I live in LA and was thinking about just taking a flight out to Oakland the "early morning" of my interview (Sep 29th) since my budget is kinda tight right now. What is the best route from Oakland airport to the Best Western in Vallejo where Dr. Haight will meet with us? Can I take Bart or a cab? I need a cheap way there!

Any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks! :)
Krishni

Originally posted by Luwi25
Hi everyone!

I have an interview scheduled for TUCOM on September 29th and I was wondering if you could give me some input on how to prepare in terms of:

1)How is the interview structured? (Panel or single interviews & how long do they take)

2)What kind of questions do they throw at you? ( Any examples would be great so I can know what to expect.)

3)What is the atmosphere of the interview like? (Rigid, neutral or super kick back)

Finally, anyone else out there have an interview scheduled that day? It would be great to have a fellow SDNer there so we can support each other.

Thank you ahead of time for your thoughts and input guys!
:D

Like Tess and Paul, I am also a first year at TUCOM. 1) The interview is a panel of interviewers (usually 4) interviewing a panel of interveiwees (usually 4-5). I think the entire interview was a little over an hour (can't really remember).

2) They ask you questions that are specific to you and your application, so KNOW YOUR APPLICATION FORWARDS AND BACKWARDS. It is important to know what you said, because people have been known to contradict themselves, and since it is open file, it's obvious (and likely to be pointed out). Be able to talk about everything you put on your applications.

3) The atmosphere is actually pretty laid back. It is surprisingly calming to have other people in the same room in the same situation that you are in. And it is really nice to hear how other people answer. And since the interview is later in the day (after a pep talk from Dr. Haight and a tour of the campus) you already sort of know the other people in your interview group, so you will be silently cheering them on. Remember, they are looking for how you interact with other potential members of your class. What will your interactions say? Do you listen attentively while the other applicants talk? Does your non-verbals seem like you are listening? Also, know what an osteopath is and what OMM is.

PS: Last year we had dinner when a group was interviewing (the night before the interview), maybe you can find out who all is in your interview group and get together and de-stress a little the night before (READ: Relax a little, your making it this far is a good sign. NOT get drunk and have a hangover for your interview. Save the drinks for the celebrating when you get your acceptance letter!)

GOOD LUCK! Hopefully we will see you on your tour.

Zippy

hey,
ill be interviewing at touro on oct. 14. anyone else as well???:laugh:

Hi Krishni,

I wouldn't recommend public transport on the day of your interview, especially not from a Oakland International, because there are too many transfers, and its not worth it.

But, I think BEST WESTERN has a shuttle you can request (you might want to call them and find out). It is around $20 one way...or something like that.

The most cheap way of course, is to ask a friend to pick you up and drop you, and then treat them to dinner!

Hope this helps.

Paul Bhambra.

I have an interview at TUCOM on Sept. 2nd for EDP,, if anyone else has interview on same day, please let me know. you can also email me at [email protected]

Congrats to everyone...wanted to know if anyone has an interview for Oct 13. It'll be awesome to meet a fellow SDNer. Well...good luck to everyone. May the force be with you.

jef

hi, i have an interview october 13...friedcfood. i'm jonathan and i'm actually from san diego. Rancho Bernardo originally...well semi originally.

"I live in LA and was thinking about just taking a flight out to Oakland the "early morning" of my interview (Sep 29th) since my budget is kinda tight right now."

Hi,
I am also a first year with Paul, Tess and Zippy and DO NOT DO THIS!!!! I think everyone else would agree. First off, if you fly in the night before, you can probably find another student to share a ride with or somone to pick you up at the airport. Even if you took BART (which you have to get on a shuttle to even get to the BART station) then you would still have to take a cab from the El Cerrito station to Vallejo. This would still cost a lot and you would risk MISSING your interview if you came in that morning.

Second, you will look exhausted if you took a flight that early and you want to make sure you get a good night sleep.

Third, you can probably find a current student to stay with if budget is an issue. Just email Dr. Haight and ask if you could get in contact with the VP of Admissions from the student government. THis name is Tyrone Snipes and he could put out the word that you are needing a student to house you for the evening.

Hope that helps and good luck on your interview.

-May May

I agree with May May's wise words :)

Thanks everyone for getting me back to reality and helping me realize that IT IS NOT a good idea to fly in one the morning of my interview.

I just made reservations at the Best Western where Dr. Haight will be meeting us. I guess I can take a shuttle into Vallejo from the airport.

Anyway, I am definitely looking forward to meeting some of the wonderful TUCOM students and fellow SDNers like Coca Cola.

Thanks again!!:)

I am interviewing at Tucom on October 8th for non-EDP. Let me know if someone is in the same boat!

Cardiolog,
I will be interviewing on Oct 14th as well, good luck with all your plans and I will see you there.

You guys are way ahead of me, but just reading thru this thread makes me smile and feel excited for you all. You're doing great so far, good luck and all the best!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Does anyone that is interviewing on 10/14, want to have dinner the night before so that we can get to know each other and relieve some stress for the group interview? I have heard that this definitely helps!

Man....I feel a little left out now that my interview isn't till the end of the October. :rolleyes: When I called at the beginning of last week that date was available or the next were in November/Decmeber! :eek:

I am excited about the school and San Fran. :)

Cardiolog,
I PM'd you about dinner for the Oct 14th interview.

Ahh, MAYSQRD. The penny dropped. It has been a while since I visited this forum so I thought I would add some words of encouragement. I only applied to TOURO, I took the August MCATS and didn't apply until November and had an interview in February and was accepted. So those of you who are interviewing now have an excellent opportunity. They interview about 40 people every two weeks or so and until about February their accepatance is not limited by availability of places, ie by the time my interview came around they still had 40+ places left. So, acceptance until then is limited only by your preformance in the interview. It is very relaxed but use this to your advantage to shine not relax. You need to impress someone on your panel to fight for you in the round table discussion that occurs every two weeks with representatives from all the interviewing panels, about 20 or so people. You have an hour interview but for four or maby five of you so that means you have 12-15 minutes at the most to answer the questions of four interviewers and also ask questions. That is not a lot of time so be clear and to the point. Know you app very well as two people in my interview forgot things they put down on theirs and it sounded very unprofessional. Know why you want to be an osteopath and make sure its not just MD bashing because not only are you likely to have an MD on your panel but everyone has heard the same lines over and over, so be original. ie "we treat more holistically" is boring unless you can really sound enthustastic about it. Please visit a DO before interviewing and if you can feel a treatment. I was stunned to hear how many people in my class had never had a treatment from a DO. For you own sake know what you are getting into. Anyway, thats probably enough info. Good luck and hopefully we will see you at TOURO interviewing and as part of the 2008 class. Sean.

fred,
I also got into TUCOM but chose TCOM instead. Both UHS and TUCOM have panel interviews but I must say they are far less intimidating than face to face interviews at Texas med schools. It may the California-midwest cultural gap but the cali schools kept asking me stuff mainly on my interests outside of medicine and we were cracking jokes the whole time. They asked me what my favorite movie was and said the whole admission decision would ride on that. I got in so I guess they were all Monty Python fans. Also, Dr. Haight is a very funny dude as well. Remember that TCOM is probably the friendliest, most laid back Texas med school but its still in Texas so humor is forbidden at all official administrative functions..
Anyway, TUCOM is way cool but not another 100 grand cool, so here we are. :D

to those interviewing monday, tuesday, and the following weeks,

Good luck and kick some butt! Ask Dr. Haight, Steven Davis, Lynn Huckle, and basically anyone else that you are introduced to anything and everything... Everyone in admissions are straightshooters and without a doubt one of the reasons I am so proud to be starting at Touro come August...

I plan on dropping by the school tomorrow... hopefully i can jump into the tour of the school and meet some of my future classmates!

I just got off the phone with a fellow 2008er, Elysium, and if the rest of my class is anywhere near as cool as she is (which Dr. Haight and the rest of the Touro ad com will do everything in thier power to make happen) we are going to have a blast come 10 months from now...

So enjoy your evening at the Best Western, or wherever you are staying the evening before your interview... I am at your disposal should anyone have any last minute (or post interview) questions...

Congrats on your interview invites, good luck, and enjoy!

Brian Enriquez
TUCOM 2008
[email protected]
AIM: ez073323

Just calm down and be yourself, you will be fine. Can they really know about you in 30 mins or so?

jbernet1, my interview is also next wednesday (10/08/03). Are you going to be flying up to Oakland ? I'm going to take another tour of Tucom this weekend, let me know if you're around?

Hey Cardiolog and Dryfly!
I am interviewing at TUCOM on 10/14 too! If you guys are meeting the night before, I would love to join in. Let me know by PMing me or email me at [email protected]. I am pretty nervous...it's my first interview. So please contact me!:)

Idlehouse- I PM'd you
-jbernet1