TUCOM-MI Vs KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zest

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The dead lines are nearing in 2 days and I am soo confused on which school to pick

TUCOM- It is close to home and I am married, Iam from Cali- I will need to move but only be about 1hr away from home. So I can get away on weekends. I am worried about TUCOM's administration, about their organization and most of all their rotation sites. I have heard that rotation sites are not upto par due to bigger state schools around. Also, one has to work hard for getting good rotations ( I dont know what that means).

KCON- More established program- where DO orginated! They have good academics more classroom time ( which I like).They also have strong rotation sites and a good academic program. Most students I have spoken to there say that the education they get seems to prepare them very well. However, it would mean moving to Kirksville- In which case may get to meet my spouse once a month:( .

Cost of attending either schools would be the same but I want to get a little more insight into how I should weigh good rotations/academics Vs living close to home. Considering I would not get much time the first 2 yr anyways.

people who have gone to medical school, what was your reasoning for picking one Vs the other- academics or close to family. Also, what would some TUCOM students say about attending there and their quality of education they have recieved. I would appreciate any input on this.

Thanks
It is driving me crazy- I hope I can get some advice

Members don't see this ad.

Why wouldn't your spouse move with you?

KCOM is great for spouses (when they are with you) My wife I think has more activities than I do sometimes. Book clubs, cooking clubs, art classes, daily exercise groups, monthly date nights, etc. and that is all just through the school, there are also lots of community things going on. I will admit I hadn't looked into it that much, but if I had I would have chosen KCOM just based on how well it was for having a family here. Don't know much about the other school though.

Okay assuming your spouse can't or won't move with you to whichever school you would attend I would definitely attend Touro-MI. I personally would choose KCOM for a lot of the reasons you mentioned but in your situation it does not seem it would bode well for a good marriage. Can you imagine only seeing your spouse once a month for at least two years? Maybe four? What if, for some crazy reason, you couldn't get a residency spot by where he/she lives? That would be at least another three years. Now it would help to know why your spouse would not be moving with you and other specifics about your situation. Honestly, I would not sacrifice my marriage for med school so you have to consider if going to KCOM would be doing that.